AKG K702 or Beyerdynamic DT 880
May 30, 2010 at 4:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

rbf1138

1000+ Head-Fier
Joined
Oct 18, 2004
Posts
1,009
Likes
138
Location
Atlanta
So, I've decided to sell my Sennheiser HD 580s, as they just are to uncomfortable for me to wear for every long.  I'm going to sell them, and do a bit of an upgrade.  I think I've come down to either the K702 or the DT 880.  Senn. 595 is also still in consideration.  I have a Go Vibe 5 headphone amp. Basically looking for opinions on what to do at this juncture. I also have a pair of Grado SR60s. I appreciate their forwardness, but love the clarity of the 580s.  Which of the phones I'm considering would match this best? Which are more comfortable, and which would do better with my current amp and/or out of my Macbook Pro?  
 
Thanks!
 
May 30, 2010 at 5:13 PM Post #2 of 28

David.M

500+ Head-Fier
Joined
Nov 18, 2009
Posts
801
Likes
24
Once you go Beyer, you don't go back  I actually just made that up as i skimmed through your post
tongue.gif

 
May 30, 2010 at 8:40 PM Post #3 of 28

rbf1138

1000+ Head-Fier
Joined
Oct 18, 2004
Posts
1,009
Likes
138
Location
Atlanta
I think I'm gonna get the 702s...now I need to choose an amp/DAC to go with them, and not break the bank.  Any suggestions here? Again, will be primarily listening using a Macbook Pro, portable cd player, ipod touch, and a Cowon X5, either 320 mp3 or flac. 
 
May 30, 2010 at 8:49 PM Post #4 of 28

Noobiiee

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Apr 3, 2010
Posts
449
Likes
13
I'd suggest the uDAC if you're on a very tight budget. The built in amp of the Audinst MX1 works quite well with power hunger cans too (up to 600ohm). 
 
EDIT: why not go for the HD600 since you already like the smooth sound of the HD580? 
 
May 30, 2010 at 8:56 PM Post #5 of 28

rbf1138

1000+ Head-Fier
Joined
Oct 18, 2004
Posts
1,009
Likes
138
Location
Atlanta
The 600s are an addition $70 from what I'd pay on the 702s, and I'm sort of nervous about the way they'll fit, as the HD580s never became comfortable for me.  I'm really sensitive around the sinus areas, and the 580s just pushed enough under my ear that I'd get a headache within 15 minutes of having them on.
 
Also, would that Audinst MX1 help/improve the sound on regular speakers (Audioengine 5) that I use with my MBP?
 
May 30, 2010 at 9:20 PM Post #7 of 28

Noobiiee

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Apr 3, 2010
Posts
449
Likes
13
$70 over the K702? how?? The Audinst would obviously beat the built-in dac of the Macbook Pro from my experience. Someone in head-fi already has suggested bending the 2 metal extensions of the HD600/650 in order to reduce the clamping force. Tried it with mine and it definitely works! My HD650 is now much more comfy. I'm not sure about the HD580 but it seems to have the same design, looking from pictures. And make sure you adjust the HD580 at right size. Wearing it too big or too small will both cause pain. 
 
May 30, 2010 at 9:27 PM Post #8 of 28

rbf1138

1000+ Head-Fier
Joined
Oct 18, 2004
Posts
1,009
Likes
138
Location
Atlanta


Quote:
$70 over the K702? how?? The Audinst would obviously beat the built-in dac of the Macbook Pro from my experience. Someone in head-fi already has suggested bending the 2 metal extensions of the HD600/650 in order to reduce the clamping force. Tried it with mine and it definitely works! My HD650 is now much more comfy. I'm not sure about the HD580 but it seems to have the same design, looking from pictures. And make sure you adjust the HD580 at right size. Wearing it too big or too small will both cause pain. 

 
The pain is from just the cups, not the headband adjusting.  They just push against me at a level that I seem to be too sensitive to. Of course, I fear I'll have the same problem with whatever I pick up next, but we'll see... The HD600 seems to go for $320 new, while the 702s are $250.  Plus, I think I need a DAC/amp (and I like the look Audinst right now, so that's 170-ish).  I think in general I like the description of the 702s and 880s, because I like that really alive, in-the-room sound. 
 
 
May 30, 2010 at 9:49 PM Post #9 of 28

Tigerhawk

Head-Fier
Joined
Mar 1, 2010
Posts
55
Likes
13
You may not like the K702.  Just went through the same kind of thing and ended up going with HD600, easy over the K702, coming from HD555/595.  You really will want a desktop amp that pushes out some good power to run the K702 properly.  It also kind of depends on the music you listen to, that could determine if you want to stray towards the K702.  Rock, pop, techno, and most recordings in my experience,  just sounded miles better on the HD600 than they do on the K702.
 
May 30, 2010 at 10:09 PM Post #11 of 28

rbf1138

1000+ Head-Fier
Joined
Oct 18, 2004
Posts
1,009
Likes
138
Location
Atlanta


Quote:
You may not like the K702.  Just went through the same kind of thing and ended up going with HD600, easy over the K702, coming from HD555/595.  You really will want a desktop amp that pushes out some good power to run the K702 properly.  It also kind of depends on the music you listen to, that could determine if you want to stray towards the K702.  Rock, pop, techno, and most recordings in my experience,  just sounded miles better on the HD600 than they do on the K702.


But if I don't like the feel of the 580s, what are the chances the 600s will feel better? And if I go with something like the Audinst, it sounds like I'll be fine with the 702s (or the DT880s, HD600s, etc. for that matter). Did you try the DT880s by any chance? And what are you amping with?
 
May 31, 2010 at 12:39 PM Post #12 of 28

Tigerhawk

Head-Fier
Joined
Mar 1, 2010
Posts
55
Likes
13
I didn't get around to trying out the DT880s, even though I was curious about them.  I ran the K702s out of Shanling PH100, which seemed to work pretty well.  Everyone else I've come across, researching on here has had positive results with that combo.  The HD600 is so much easier to drive.  For example, directly out of sound card the HD600 actually sounded okay, where as the K702 was weak, no bass at all and thin ear piercing trebles.  Once amped the K702 improved tremendously.  Night and day difference in bass.  I will be getting a different amp though now that I have the HD600s, because the PH100 really isn't meant to work with the 300/600 ohm phones.
 
May 31, 2010 at 12:55 PM Post #13 of 28

earerror

1000+ Head-Fier
Joined
Feb 3, 2010
Posts
1,123
Likes
22
Usually the Akg's require a good amp to sound good. I have tried akg's without amps before and i was dissapointed...Everything changed when i hooked them up to a good amp like the Headroom micro, or the Ha-600. 
 
May 31, 2010 at 1:13 PM Post #14 of 28

rbf1138

1000+ Head-Fier
Joined
Oct 18, 2004
Posts
1,009
Likes
138
Location
Atlanta
So, I went ahead and ordered the K702s, they'll arrive Thursday. I also ordered a uDAC, and now I'm looking for an amp. I'm thinking the LD MKIII would be suitable. If I don't like the 702s after a few weeks, I throw em up for sale or trade here, and try out the DT880s, and maybe even the Senns.
 
May 31, 2010 at 8:31 PM Post #15 of 28

MacedonianHero

Headphone.Guru Editor
Joined
Feb 26, 2009
Posts
17,957
Likes
4,194
Location
Toronto, Canada


Quote:
So, I went ahead and ordered the K702s, they'll arrive Thursday. I also ordered a uDAC, and now I'm looking for an amp. I'm thinking the LD MKIII would be suitable. If I don't like the 702s after a few weeks, I throw em up for sale or trade here, and try out the DT880s, and maybe even the Senns.


I never liked the K70x's with any tube amp (MAD Ear+HD, Woo6, Woo3, LD III, and LDIV). Honestly I preferred the Total Bithead to any tube amp.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Top