AKG K702 Build your own cable...
Oct 21, 2011 at 4:42 PM Post #106 of 128

Quote:
As Drew suggested the headband connection is a limiting factor, next up I'll doing a Y split base on Canare cable and I'm having difficult time to make up my mind to either solder them directly to the drivers or use a detachable mod. Bad news for detachable mod is that I probably can't the same cable for my future phones like HD650 / HD800, without modding them (makes me sweat thinking about modding a HD800).

I'm considering running new wire across the top of the headband, and changing out the 3 pin mini, for a 4 pin, to do a one sided entry, balanced re-cable on my 702.

That's down the line though. For now I have some mogami 2893 on the way, and a switch craft and neutrik set of plugs waiting for it to arrive. 

OneSec - have you noticed any microphonic noise from the techflex on your red cable there? I'm considering adding it (for cosmetics) to my new cable, but will scrap if it adds significant noise.

Oct 22, 2011 at 7:21 AM Post #107 of 128
No. But - If you tab or hit the cable continuously yes the sound will transfer to your ear, I guess this will happen with or without the techflex on my cable. (Why would people do it? Out of boredom? lol)

The version I'm using however, is slightly harder than normal, and when it glide against my body it sometimes give a irritating feeling of being cut.

I've ordered a nylon version and hope this will fix these problem. I bought the expandable version.

http://cableorganizer.com/nylon-multifilament/ (Please take note this is not expandable). They do have the nylon heatshrink as well.

Feb 2, 2012 at 2:01 AM Post #108 of 128
It looks like you needed to cut the mini-xlr connector in order to fit the Mogami 2534 cable. If you chose a mini-xlr connector with a larger opening, you would not need to cut the connector, which would save time/effort. The final product would also be neater.

Here's one such connector:

http://store.haveinc.com/p-54717-switchcraft-3pin-mini-xlr-female-lg-hndl.aspx

Quote:
I have the K702 and I'm super happy with these headphones in my studio. And now, I want to try to improve the sonic quality with better cable.

1. What is the best cable that you can buy by the foot to recable the K702?

I'm finding the Mogami W2534 Or W2893 to be good. MOGAMI - Neglex Quad Microphone Cables.
Please let me know if you have better cable to for this task, and what is a good AWG for 62 ohms ?

2. What are the best conectors for this cable?

A. Neutrik X-Series 1/4 with Gold Contacts and Black Shell.
B. FURUTECH, 2. FURU-FP-704(G).
C. SWITCHCRAFT TA3F mini XLR. Maybe the 4-pin cable if it's fit?
http://www.soundplugtw.com/index.php?option=product&lang=en&task=pageinfo&id=10&belongid=9&index=0

3. Okay, now what is the best way to solder the 4 conductors? the 2 blue, and the 2 white to the stereo? What's the best solder wire for this project?

EDIT: I added photos of the process...I highly recommend to get the mini XLR TQ-FL connector directly from the Taiwan manufactor, at http://www.soundplugtw.com/index.php?option=product&lang=en&task=pageinfo&id=10&belongid=9&index=0 ....Big thanks to joy@soundplugtw.com

My start point was the Mogami W2534 Gold 6ft about 2M out of ebay for around 10-$20 including the shipping. This was much easy for me, because I only needed to soldering only one side of the cable.

1. The mini XLR Connector/TQ-FL from www.soundplugtw.com (in all black).

2. Cutting and making place for the 4 conductor Mogami W2534 cable. 

3. Some polish work maybe needed on the bigger part just to looks smooth and more pro.

4. This what you'll find in side of the mini XLR.

5. Bending the unwanted part for a few times to break it down.

6. The unwanted part was removed.

7. Expend the cable host...this process needs to be made very gentle and not to make the pin/host total flat.

8. Soldering ready.

9. Better to put some soldering on the cable first, and hold the soldering tool/iron on the back of the host/pin, this way the silver soldering will flow in the host and will glue them to togheder. If you dont have any experience with the soldering tool like me, check out youtube videos about soldering XLR cable.

10. The black part that hold all the 5 cables together is the biggest difference between the Switchraft mini XLR connector and the TQ-FL connector from www.soundplugtw.com.
Important notes: the black part that hold all the 5 cables together in the Switchraft is white ( maybe it was fake) and made of plastic like the shampo type plastic. I prefer the TQ-FL part that is hard plastic and can hold the 5 cables in the shape of the conector (see part in photo, 2, 3). 

11. The finished product after 3 years of daily use.

Feb 8, 2012 at 12:24 AM Post #109 of 128
Wow, some really interesting posts here BUT I really cannot judge what would be the best cable to buy to make up.

My interest is with classical music and I find the AKG 702s midrange a bit too forward (i purchased them used and they seem to be bedded in).  Soundstaging etc is fine but some recordings come through a bit harsh and I'm hoping different cabling might help.  I'm told copper rather than the standard silver might be the way to go.

Any suggestions gratefully received + where to buy 2.5 meters of it.

TIA

John

Feb 8, 2012 at 12:55 AM Post #110 of 128
There should be no sound difference between copper or silver cable. But for copper, I like to use the mogami starquad 2893 or 2534 cables. Inexpensive, high quality, and easy to work with. Not sure about a supplier to Australia, unfortunately. I usually get mine from Markertek.  

Feb 9, 2012 at 7:33 AM Post #111 of 128

Quote:
It looks like you needed to cut the mini-xlr connector in order to fit the Mogami 2534 cable. If you chose a mini-xlr connector with a larger opening, you would not need to cut the connector, which would save time/effort. The final product would also be neater.

Here's one such connector:

http://store.haveinc.com/p-54717-switchcraft-3pin-mini-xlr-female-lg-hndl.aspx

Yes, I've cut the mini-xlr connector to fit the Mogami 2534 cable and then I polish to looks smooth (5 minutes of work ).

I would like to try out the new Neutrik-mini-XLR,

Oct 31, 2012 at 7:26 PM Post #112 of 128
Ok, my first attempt with cable upgrade for AKG with Neutrik/REAN mini-XLR termination.
Was quite tricky to solder the Viablue connector, Neutrik (as usual) was quite easy, very good construction.

Nov 29, 2012 at 9:30 AM Post #113 of 128
any of you builders have any of these cables laying around?  or would build one to order?  i'm looking for a 6ft run made with mogami 2893 or 2552.  for use on k271.

Dec 14, 2012 at 9:39 PM Post #114 of 128
Quote:
any of you builders have any of these cables laying around?  or would build one to order?  i'm looking for a 6ft run made with mogami 2893 or 2552.  for use on k271.

Maybe there is a store in your area that sale Mogami cables per ft...in my first attempt I've found this map, http://www.mogamicable.com/dealers/

Dec 16, 2012 at 8:46 PM Post #116 of 128
Hi everyone,

sorry - first post, stupid question:

I still didn't figure out how the configuration on both sides of the new cable (xlr and jack) works.
Could someone do me the favour and explain me how to do the soldering right?

Thanks a lot in advance,

cheers, renard

Dec 27, 2012 at 10:39 PM Post #117 of 128
I'm planning to make my own cable for my q701's, would like to get some feedback on this cable.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CANARE-L-4E6S-STAR-QUAD-BALANCED-MICROPHONE-CABLE-BULK-UNTERMINATED-White-10-Ft-/150819810747?pt=US_Audio_Cables_Adapters&hash=item231d8fadbb

Would it work well?

Feb 13, 2013 at 4:41 AM Post #118 of 128
Quote:
If you purely come from the diameter for the end fitting, there is no worry. My supplier was nice enough to give me a cap with larger hole at the back, cable diameter wasn't much of a problem, except during soldering.

Good news is, FIRST CABLE is done!! Using the following

SWITCHCRAFT TA3F mini XLR
SWITCHCRAFT TRS
Canare Star Quad Microphone cable: L-4E5C  
Yeah the mini XLR is a little monster - fortunately I didn't go for thicker cable, otherwise it would be a lot of work there...

Overall impression with the original cable is that
  1. Overall the sound becomes more 'solid', more projectile, and more weighty.
  2. BASS impact has been become more prominent. Faster attack and umph! Bass has definitely improved in every way, quality and quantity.
  3. The cable somewhat makes the phone more musical - its very difficult to describe, but listening orchestra music, the double bass and cello range of frequency has been brought more forward, and I really feel the music 'mood'.
  4. My friend mentioned the cable actually improved the spacing, and better separation. However I personally didn't feel it.
  5. However things are rather different on the treble - it got a little recessed, so the violins and guitars don't "scream" as much as the original. I like 'harshness' on the higher register of the original cable.
  6. Details remain the same to me.

Overall its an improvement over the stock cable, and I think it will justify the improvement in almost every genre listening,

From discussion with my friend, he advised me to go for silver cable, which will give me the violin and guitar "screams" that I'm looking for. I'm poisoned and will continue to seek for my silver cable!! I hope silver cables will answer my call in search of a "piercing violin" cable.

Perhaps I will upload some photos later. Let's see run in will some magic to the treble... Yes now I'm definitely looking for my silver core cable!! Please recommend me!

P.S.: On my Essence ST, I used to play on High Gain with the original cable. With this new Canare cable, I can put it to Extra High Gain and the harsh sounds seems to went away.

Reporting back for progress that is more than 1 year ago... I've got my HD800 and Audio-gd Reference 10.32 (I'm on balanced setup now, thanks to Aaron's kind offer which comes with balanced cable). However in between those times I actually made another cable, and I noticed I have not shared with the forum. Here it is:

1. SWITCHCRAFT TA3F mini XLR - I have got a different cap with a larger mount hole from my supplier in Malaysia, please check with your supplier yeah.
  2. FURUTECH FP-704G (Stereo) TRS
  3. GOTHAM 10405 - 10412 GAC-2 Ultraflexible OR Gotham 10502 GAC-2 PUR variation with ultrastrong PUR jacket (both are 5.4mm diameter) Don't remember the exact cable model, but from my memory GAC-2 Ultraflexible is a closer match. Gotham has Starquad and other balanced options as well.
http://www.gotham.ch/en/index.php?section=docsys&cmd=23_details&id=6
http://www.gotham.ch/en/index.php?section=docsys&cmd=23_details&id=4

I need to empahsis that these opinion are strictly personal taste, and please don't conceive this as advertisment for Gotham cable or Furutech. There are 2 variables, here, the Gotham cable vs Canare, plus the Furutech TRS vs Swiftcraft. Or it could be the mixing and match magic! To avoid bias, I will just mention new DIY and old DIY :)

It is a hands down upgrade for new DIY, I dropped my old DIY and just stick to it since then. Until... I've got my HD800. As far as I remember the freshly made new DIY is already as good as the old one (break-ed in), and with additional break in it just suppress old DIY in anyway. The difference between new DIY and old DIY is like the difference between stock cable and old DIY.
I will try to give some comparison based on the impression from Canare.
  1. Overall the sound becomes more 'solid', more projectile, and more weighty - More improvement.
  2. BASS impact has been become more prominent. Faster attack and umph! - New DIY Bass has definitely improved in every way, quality and quantity, but the harshness has been taken away, giving a warmish feeling but yet lively.
  3. The cable somewhat makes the phone more musical - its very difficult to describe, but listening orchestra music, the double bass and cello range of frequency has been brought more forward, and I really feel the music 'mood'. This is where the new DIY shines. "Strike the balance!" The new cable seems made a great balance on the frequency scales, blending the all frequencies together. I do not feel any of the frequency range particularly stands out - making it even more neutral, and musical.
  4. My friend mentioned the cable actually improved the spacing, and better separation. However I personally didn't feel it. - Don't feel it either on new DIY cable. After all I'm spoiled by my new phone :p
  5. However things are rather different on the treble - it got a little recessed, so the violins and guitars don't "scream" as much as the original. I like 'harshness' on the higher register of the original cable. See previous comment.
  6. Details remain the same to me. Remain the same.
While HD800 gets improved on Audio-GD Reference 10.32 over Asus Essence ST,  the gab between 702 and HD800 seems to be lesser on Audio-GD than Asus Essence ST. This gives me a feeling that new DIY cable benefits more from a good amplification. K702 with the new DIY, like I quote to a fellow Head-fier: HD800's little brother.
beerchug.gif

Please dont flame me as again, strictly personal opinion. With all those said HD800 is still my top favorite.

If you are interested in trying other options, please consider the cable diameter, as the they may be too big for typical mini XLR connectors:
  1. 11001 GAC-4/1 StarQuad 4-conductor microphone cable - 5.4mm http://www.gotham.ch/en/index.php?section=docsys&cmd=23_details&id=15
  2. 11510 Hybrid Kabel 3 x 0.75mm² Hybrid Kabel, GAC-4/1 & 3x0.75mm² - 6.5mm!! http://www.gotham.ch/en/index.php?section=docsys&cmd=23_details&id=17
Note - They have mentioned this for loudspeakers, and probably not advisable cause it will add substantial weight.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back