AKG K702 Annie Amp
Jul 16, 2013 at 2:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

surrealmethod

New Head-Fier
I've read as much as I can regarding these cans and amps, but I still can't narrow it down. I just bought the Annies from a local store. They didn't have any in stock so they were ordered in and will be delivered to my door.

I would like to purchase an amp. My budget is $300. I just am not 100% sure what will sound real good with the AKG. I will use them only for movies so a warm sound would be preferred (I think).

Based on my research, I think these 2 match will with the Annie:

Matrix M-Stage
Asgard 2

But what about tube amps? Don't they offer a richer warmer sound? Should I be looking into Little Dot?

The amp will be connected to either an Astro Mixamp or my receiver directly (Onkyo)

Any guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Jul 18, 2013 at 2:42 PM Post #4 of 13
The M-stage will work nicely with your AKG.
Some other amps are the Aune T1, O2 amp, Schiit Magni and the E9

Jul 18, 2013 at 2:52 PM Post #5 of 13
Quote:
I've read as much as I can regarding these cans and amps, but I still can't narrow it down. I just bought the Annies from a local store. They didn't have any in stock so they were ordered in and will be delivered to my door.
I would like to purchase an amp. My budget is $300. I just am not 100% sure what will sound real good with the AKG. I will use them only for movies so a warm sound would be preferred (I think).
Based on my research, I think these 2 match will with the Annie:
Matrix M-Stage
Asgard 2
But what about tube amps? Don't they offer a richer warmer sound? Should I be looking into Little Dot?
The amp will be connected to either an Astro Mixamp or my receiver directly (Onkyo)

I would assume the Annies will sound fairly good plugged straight into the Onkyo receiver.
The Astro Mix-amp might(?) even do a decent job driving the 62-Ohm Annies.
Maybe hold off buy an external add-on headphone amplifier till after you tried the Annies with what you currently have.

Also you might try reading up on this thread and maybe even posting Annie questions on this thread.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/626971/akg-k702-65th-anniversary-edition

Jul 18, 2013 at 3:12 PM Post #6 of 13
Quote:
The M-stage will work nicely with your AKG.
Some other amps are the Aune T1, O2 amp, Schiit Magni and the E9

I think the novelty of a tube amp is nice. I'm not 100% sure I want a tube/DAC combo though. As I will be using the mixamp or my receiver isntead of directly off the computer, the DAC might be useless to me at this time. So the T1 is iffy for me. But it sure is beautiful. I'm thinking about the Bravo V2 for work to power the M50's. I'll get the tube sound that way.

I was thinking of a Little Dot tube amp, specifically the MKii or the MKi. I believe the MKi is a better fit but I'm unsure if it will output enough power to the Annie.

It's intersting you mentioned the Magni, is there a reason I should go with the Magni over the Asgard 2? If the Magni is a betterfit for the AKG then i'll save some money going that route.

I also looked into the O2 amp. I believe the developer of the amp wasn't well liked on these forums. I might tackle building the amp in the future, but at the moment I rather purchase one. Seeing that you should be able to build the amp for $50 or so but the amp gets sold for $120 or so assembled makes me hesitant.

I thought the E9 didn't have enough output to power the AKGs, I'll have to look into this again.

Thank you for all your reccomendations and guidance.

Jul 18, 2013 at 3:36 PM Post #8 of 13
Quote:
I would assume the Annies sound fairly good plugged straight into the Onkyo receiver.
The Astro Mix-amp might(?) even do a decent job driving the 62-Ohm Annies.
Maybe hold off buy an external add-on headphone amplifier till after you tried the Annies with what you currently have.

Also you might try reading up on this thread and maybe even posting Annie questions on this thread.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/626971/akg-k702-65th-anniversary-edition

I might just take your advice and hear the headphones for a week or so before plunging into a dedicated amp.

Jul 18, 2013 at 4:12 PM Post #10 of 13
Quote:
I also looked into the O2 amp. I believe the developer of the amp wasn't well liked on these forums

I'm guessing the O2 designer "bumped heads" with Head-Fi's admins.

Jul 18, 2013 at 8:09 PM Post #11 of 13
Quote:
I'm guessing the O2 designer "bumped heads" with Head-Fi's admins.

It may have a little to do with he's full of it, too, and proceeded to try to crucify a legendary amp designer even though he didn't even know how to hook the amp up to test it properly.
wink.gif

Really - if you're looking for respect instead of a cult, then design something and put it out there.  He chose not to go that route and did a bunch of BS, first.

Jul 18, 2013 at 8:54 PM Post #12 of 13
Quote:
It may have a little to do with he's full of it, too, and proceeded to try to crucify a legendary amp designer even though he didn't even know how to hook the amp up to test it properly.
wink.gif

Really - if you're looking for respect instead of a cult, then design something and put it out there.  He chose not to go that route and did a bunch of BS, first.

Any threads still around from back then, like to read up on the BS.

Jul 18, 2013 at 10:06 PM Post #13 of 13
Quote:
Any threads still around from back then, like to read up on the BS.

The BS?  Just read his blog site, really - none of it tells you anything without a challenge first, or claims that others don't know what they're doing or have done it wrong.  He decided to make his name first by throwing mud on NuForce and crucifying AMB's Mini3.  He didn't know how to properly connect up a 3-channel amp for testing (Mini3), so measured some ridiculous cross-talk and then claimed the design was crap.  Meanwhile, he designs an amp with the volume pot in-between the gain stage and the buffer stage (a ready-made disaster for clipping) and tells everyone to be careful about the signal strength from sources (like any of us have any control over that) - and everyone accepts it like it's just rudimentary advice not to touch the power plug blades when connecting into the wall.  Granted, his stuff measures pretty good, but under his conditions (Tyll's too, I have to admit).  All the while, he could've gone about things in an entirely different way that didn't alienate a bunch of people (including entire forums).

Me personally?  I like Head-Fi, I support Head-Fi.  Does that mean I haven't had disagreements with Jude and the admins?  NO - I've had entire threads deleted.  Still, I've thought about it, tried to put myself in Jude's shoes, and then came back each time.

Heck - look at this very section - "Introductions, Help and Recommendations."  Initially, I had my doubts.  Some of this seems to perpetuate the FOTM trend in that excited people tend to want to excite others and what better place to influence than a section for innocent beginners?  Still, the effort by Jude and Head-Fi is commendable.  That's why I try to interject with my own posts from time to time.  I'm not saying I know as much as anyone else, but maybe I can contribute something from the years I've been in DIY and honestly trying to help people.  Yes, I'm a MOT - but if you think I'm making a killing, you're mistaken.  It's always been a way to finance my hobby.
wink.gif

P.S. Some of that is rhetorical.  I know I wasn't accused of anything. Just trying to anticipate a bit.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back