AKG K702 - Amp Necessary For Use With Roland Quad-Capture?
Sep 10, 2012 at 9:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

SeanR111

New Head-Fier
I was considering buying a pair of AKG K702's and I've read the few forums already on here about what amps to buy for them.  I have a Roland Quad-Capture audio interface as my DAC currently and I know that the output impedance for the headphone out is 47 ohms.  My question is basically if I wanted to buy the 702Ks would it be absolutely necessary to buy an amp for them too, or would the Quad-Capture be able to drive them reasonably well?  I don't think it would since the 702K's impedance is 62 ohms, however I don't completely understand the underlying mechanisms so I thought I should ask the more knowledgeable people on here to confirm.  I'm on a pretty tight budget so avoiding buying an amp would be ideal, especially since most of the amps suggested for the K702s are $250+

Oct 8, 2012 at 2:03 PM Post #2 of 4
I would also like to know.....

I would also like to know the quality of the DAC that the quad capture uses. 
Right now I use my 5 year old onboard realtek which absolutely sucks!

Am I right in thinking that the headphone output has to be a minimum of 1/8th of the impedance of the headphones?

Rolands specifications are a bit ambiguous.
Is the headphone output 47 ohms or is the headphone output only able to drive up to 47 ohms headphones?

Please can someone clarify this.

Thanks

Oct 8, 2012 at 4:59 PM Post #3 of 4
Yes, the K702 will need some solid state amp to drive them, and I'll suggest to go for the best...the SPL amp's. For around $200 you can try to get some used Meier corda jazz/headfive, but will be better to save some money and to get a better amp. Sorry guys not much shortcuts here.

Oct 9, 2012 at 1:52 AM Post #4 of 4
I've got the K702 so I can vouch for their need of an amp to sound ideal.  It might hurt your budget a little at $300, but you could invest in a Bellari HA540 tube amp.  It has loads of gain and is a pretty clear amp overall so you wouldn't need to upgrade your amp for a while.  I've heard that it can even drive the HD800 fairly well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back