Akg k702 / 712 power requirements
May 13, 2018 at 12:41 PM Post #16 of 24
Okay, most of this is a tad over my head, but I get the just of it. So you think my phone will get the 400s up to desirable listening levels? I can trick the phone into high impedance mode with an impedance adapter. This would definitely be the cans I go with if so. I can't do IEMs.

Yes. Just note that at some point higher impedance can cause the output to start trailing off, so you might not necessarily get as much power you were hoping for over the penalty to channel separation and distortion that Quad DAC operation does over just one of the ESS chips running. If you can root the phone so it activates Quad DAC as default instead of relying on a high impedance load to trigger it you won't have to take a penalty on the output power.

On a side note, can anyone recommend other higher impedance, open back cans that will trigger the phones high impedance mode without the need for an adapter? Something only moderately power hungry that will sound good with classic rock.

HD650/6XX has 98dB/1mW sensitivity but at 300ohms impedance the output power could drop significantly, since higher impedance usually means lower output (unless you're looking at OTL amplifiers) that drops faster on mobile devices due to the voltage performance of its power supply being a ~7.2v battery (and in this case the same battery has to run a CPU, a screen, etc).

HD660S has a lower impedance of 150ohms but sensitivity is also a little lower.

I'd really much rather use an HE400S or a Grado RS2 and then an impedance adapter or root the phone.

May 13, 2018 at 2:27 PM Post #17 of 24
Right on. Appreciate the info. It's interesting, the hifiman is planar, but the akg has lower db rating. Tit for Tat, or quite the opposite. I really want to experience planars, and I listened to Zs sound demo on the he4xx via my most neutral cans. If it's remotely accurate, I loved the sound signature, but could deal with a little less brightness in the treble. Does this sound like the hifiman he-400s? On a side note, will the akg k7 series be to analytical to to make rock n roll fun as it should be?
Have not heard the 4xx’s yet but from what is said about them I would think it is a safe bet that they are a bit warmer than the 4xx’s. I have the 400,400S,500’s and have heard the 560,X and 1000’s and they are the warmest of the bunch to me but would not call them dark like say Audioquest Nighthawks.

May 13, 2018 at 4:01 PM Post #18 of 24
Have not heard the 4xx’s yet but from what is said about them I would think it is a safe bet that they are a bit warmer than the 4xx’s. I have the 400,400S,500’s and have heard the 560,X and 1000’s and they are the warmest of the bunch to me but would not call them dark like say Audioquest Nighthawks.
4xx a bit warmer than the 400s? If the 400s has a bit less brightness than the 4xx, I'm oh so good with that

May 13, 2018 at 4:55 PM Post #19 of 24
Like I said I believe the 400S is warmer. Easy to drive but gets better with more power as all planars.

May 13, 2018 at 10:31 PM Post #20 of 24
Thanks. I think the 712 is out of my price range for now. Probably going to give the 400s a go

Just a heads up that a member with great trader feedback has a used pair of the 400S for a great price that just went up for sale ($115 with pads and then he gives pad options you can buy from him, starting at $10 and going up depending on selection):

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/fs-...th-your-choice-of-earpads-115-shipped.879687/

And no, I get nothing from this.. in fact, at this price, it might be gone quickly, I almost pulled the trigger myself. :)

May 14, 2018 at 2:31 AM Post #21 of 24
Just a heads up that a member with great trader feedback has a used pair of the 400S for a great price that just went up for sale ($115 with pads and then he gives pad options you can buy from him, starting at $10 and going up depending on selection):

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/fs-...th-your-choice-of-earpads-115-shipped.879687/

And no, I get nothing from this.. in fact, at this price, it might be gone quickly, I almost pulled the trigger myself. :)
Thanks for the heads up. I attempted to purchase them, but the seller denied me because I don't have an established history on this forum. Now the thread reads SOLD.
Just a suggestion, but being a very well established member on a different, non related forum, newer members must have a minimum of 250 posts before they are allowed access to the classified section. It's fine though, there are plenty of other places that will take my money lol

May 14, 2018 at 6:20 AM Post #22 of 24
Thanks for the heads up. I attempted to purchase them, but the seller denied me because I don't have an established history on this forum. Now the thread reads SOLD.
Just a suggestion, but being a very well established member on a different, non related forum, newer members must have a minimum of 250 posts before they are allowed access to the classified section. It's fine though, there are plenty of other places that will take my money lol

Bummer, sorry to hear that, I began buying them a while back before they instituted that I guess because I don’t remember having that problem. :frowning2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back