AKG K701's with Matrix mini-i?
Dec 4, 2010 at 5:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

JPresz

100+ Head-Fier
I have recently ordered a pair of AKG K701's and am now looking for something to run them fairly well (not looking to spend $1K quite yet, but eventually). Would the Matrix Mini-i do the job relatively nicely? I realize you get what you pay for, but I'm still just a student with a part time job
rolleyes.gif

Edit: i just saw another DAC/AMP called the Matrix Cube. which of the two would be better for the headphones? I dont mind buying either one

Dec 20, 2010 at 2:28 AM Post #3 of 12
Either of those DAC/amps would drive the K701s.
However, you should look at what others are saying about those particular DAC/amps before deciding.

For example; it looks like the Matrix Mini-I needs time before it will shine, so it might be a bit harsh to start with.

Dec 20, 2010 at 9:35 PM Post #4 of 12
thanks for the input. I'm sure it wont be that harsh compared to what I'm using right now (Bose over ear [yes, I know]). But I'll be using them quite often, so it won't take long for them to burn in.

Dec 22, 2010 at 2:53 AM Post #5 of 12
I have the Matix Mini and AGK702s. They Matrix can indeed drive the 702s however I prefer to use my Woo Audio tube headphone amp to warm up and broaden the soundstage. To my ears the Matrix can be a little digital (harsh) at high frequencies. If you want a great DAC with headphone amp the Matrix will suffice, but I wouldn't consider this as a optimal arrangement without the magic of tubes in your signal path. Just me 2 cents though
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 22, 2010 at 4:27 PM Post #6 of 12
Quote:
I have the Matix Mini and AGK702s. They Matrix can indeed drive the 702s however I prefer to use my Woo Audio tube headphone amp to warm up and broaden the soundstage. To my ears the Matrix can be a little digital (harsh) at high frequencies. If you want a great DAC with headphone amp the Matrix will suffice, but I wouldn't consider this as a optimal arrangement without the magic of tubes in your signal path. Just me 2 cents though
smily_headphones1.gif

thanks, in the future I'm going to expand to an actual amp and use the Magic as a DAC, but for now I'll have to deal with it until I acquire the funds

Dec 22, 2010 at 5:33 PM Post #7 of 12
I haven't used the Matrix mini, but the HA-160 drives the AKG very well. 

How much is your budget for buying a headphone amp? 

Dec 22, 2010 at 10:16 PM Post #9 of 12
I don't think these cans are as hard to drive as some folks on this forum maintain. I have new K702s. Curious to hear if I'd get any sound at all, I recently tried listening with them to music on an older Dell laptop with no card, just an onboard A-D chip. Sounded fine, though I'd surely notice a difference if I had a high-end amp. You may have a headphone jack in your receiver. These usually aren't high-end, but you'll get decent sound.

My current interim desktop headphone amp is a Presonus hp4, which is a cheap and handy device to have since it has 4 phone channels. They often sell used on Ebay for under $50. This or something in the same low price category could tide you over till you can afford something more ambitious. In your income category I would suggest exploring the Do-It-Yourself options if you can learn how to solder and read circuit diagrams, since the price-performance ratio is generally better than pre-built.  Or buy somebody's used DIY amp here in the For Sale forum.

Dec 23, 2010 at 12:44 AM Post #10 of 12

Quote:
I don't think these cans are as hard to drive as some folks on this forum maintain. I have new K702s. Curious to hear if I'd get any sound at all, I recently tried listening with them to music on an older Dell laptop with no card, just an onboard A-D chip. Sounded fine, though I'd surely notice a difference if I had a high-end amp. You may have a headphone jack in your receiver. These usually aren't high-end, but you'll get decent sound.

My current interim desktop headphone amp is a Presonus hp4, which is a cheap and handy device to have since it has 4 phone channels. They often sell used on Ebay for under $50. This or something in the same low price category could tide you over till you can afford something more ambitious. In your income category I would suggest exploring the Do-It-Yourself options if you can learn how to solder and read circuit diagrams, since the price-performance ratio is generally better than pre-built.  Or buy somebody's used DIY amp here in the For Sale forum.

I don't mind spending around 300 for an amp/dac. using Bose tri's right now, it'll probably be an improvement without an amp/dac

Dec 23, 2010 at 5:53 AM Post #11 of 12
Take a look at Audinst HUD-MX1. Plenty of juice for the AKG 701 provided you use the included PSU. No need to increase the gain either to drive the K701s to ear-shattering volume.

Dec 23, 2010 at 8:21 AM Post #12 of 12

Quote:
Take a look at Audinst HUD-MX1. Plenty of juice for the AKG 701 provided you use the included PSU. No need to increase the gain either to drive the K701s to ear-shattering volume.

which of the two would run them better? I can get either one fairly soon. Also, is the Audinst USB 16/44 or 24/96 (I'm acquiring vinyl rips, so I'd like to hear them in 24/96)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back