AKG K701s can now be had for $260.
Dec 16, 2006 at 4:33 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

freeflier

Banned
Just after the positive Stereophile review of the AKG K701s Headroom raised the price to $350. I bought these for $300 at Headroom earlier in the year and wanted to get these as a Christmas present for a friend. I was disappointed by the price rise but this simply prompted me to look elsewhere. I found the AKGs for under $260 on a number of sites and ended up purchasing them at Beach Audio for $265 (shipped). I could have gotten them even cheaper but Beach was competative and reputable so I settled on them.
icon10.gif

Dec 16, 2006 at 4:48 AM Post #2 of 21
I'm still waiting for mine to arrive. They should have been here today, but for some "unknown" reason via wonderful UPS, they won't be here until Monday.

Man I HATE UPS!
mad.gif

BTW, I got mine through BlueCraze.com for $255 shipped.

Dec 16, 2006 at 4:52 AM Post #3 of 21
Looks like HeadRoom is losing out on the pricing war. Hopefully they'll lower it to 300 or less soon.

Dec 16, 2006 at 5:35 AM Post #5 of 21
Why are the K701s becoming so dirt cheap? They can be found for $240 and now $260... wow.

Dec 16, 2006 at 5:51 AM Post #6 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Esidarap /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why are the K701s becoming so dirt cheap? They can be found for $240 and now $260... wow.

Ive seen $244.00 at northern light if you use this months coupon you can save another $25.00??

Dec 16, 2006 at 5:54 AM Post #8 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Esidarap /img/forum/go_quote.gif

If you are thinking that a low price means low quality, don't fall for that "audiophile" bs. These can's are incredible and the reason I seldom listen to my megabuck soundsystem anymore. At these prices they simply represent one of the best audio bargains ever. Mix equal parts computer with a Benchmark Dac1 and the AKG K701s and you have reference quality sound for practically pennies.

Dec 16, 2006 at 6:31 AM Post #10 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by nothing101 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hahaha! they only released the 701 quite recently

im kinda pissed because everywhere that does these good prices on akg doesnt ship to australia

I'm lucky to be able to pop across the border to pick up shipments from these cheap on line companies but you know what???... Now that I've owned the AKGs for about 6 months and the "honeymoon" is definitely over I can honestly say I'd pay full retail if I had to. They are that good, in terms of pure neutrality and accuracy that is (which doesn't necessarily appeal to "audio equipment is a matter of taste crowd").

Dec 16, 2006 at 7:08 AM Post #11 of 21
To correct some of the mis-information in this thread: it's AKG that raised the price of the K701 a couple months ago, to an SRP of $450. For those who think that resellers like HeadRoom have to keep original pricing when a product gets a price increase, get real - that never happens.

The resellers offering <$300 prices on the K701 are doing so for reasons unknown, but know that these resellers are probably taking losses somewhere (or making up for it elsewhere), or might be simply selling off old stock and aren't aware of AKG's price hike.

Dec 16, 2006 at 7:30 AM Post #12 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Asr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
To correct some of the mis-information in this thread: it's AKG that raised the price of the K701 a couple months ago, to an SRP of $450. For those who think that resellers like HeadRoom have to keep original pricing when a product gets a price increase, get real - that never happens.

The resellers offering <$300 prices on the K701 are doing so for reasons unknown, but know that these resellers are probably taking losses somewhere (or making up for it elsewhere), or might be simply selling off old stock and aren't aware of AKG's price hike.

It don't matter. Beach is a reputable outfit and I'm saving almost $100. Headroom is a great company but I don't throw $100 bills away out of loyalty. ($10 maybe but not $100)

Dec 16, 2006 at 7:53 AM Post #13 of 21
Beach Audio has actually been having quite a few problems lately in terms of customer service, and recent ratings reflect that. I wouldn't necessarily say that they're quite as reputable as they used to be. I've personally have had some problems with them, though thankfully nothing major.

I would've gone for the NSL deal if I'd known about it when I was shopping around for the K701.
frown.gif
Though I have no idea whether they actually have any in stock.

Dec 16, 2006 at 8:01 AM Post #14 of 21
you can get them for less on ebay if you offer to a store in california. you tell them northern sound and light has them for 244 and after they check and confirm, they give you a slight discount. =T i'm not sure exactly how much as my sister is doing it and i'm not in charge of it.

nsl's backorder is sort of long, so if you want them shipped soon, proaudioland on ebay can ship them out once you settle on a price.

Dec 16, 2006 at 8:48 AM Post #15 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by kyrie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Beach Audio has actually been having quite a few problems lately in terms of customer service, and recent ratings reflect that. I wouldn't necessarily say that they're quite as reputable as they used to be. I've personally have had some problems with them, though thankfully nothing major.

I would've gone for the NSL deal if I'd known about it when I was shopping around for the K701.
frown.gif
Though I have no idea whether they actually have any in stock.

Hmmm, NSL ??? I bought my Central Station through them. I just did a "pricegrabber" search on the 701s and never even thought to check out NSL. What are they selling them for (just out of curiousity)?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back