AKG K701s a little...eh
Oct 16, 2007 at 4:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 61

ropeadope

100+ Head-Fier
I've had my AKG K701s for over 10 days now, and while I do like them, I also find them to be underwhelming. I used HD-555s for 2 or 3 years before getting these, and I really liked those. The K701s are a step up from the HD-555s, but a small step. I can't tell a whole lot of difference, and I think I'd rather get something sounding more different or other phones that are a bigger step up from the HD-555s. While I know I would be fairly satisfied if I decided to keep these AKG K701s for the next 3 or so years (until I break them
tongue.gif
), I think I would like to try other headphones first.

The problem is I can't just sample all the headphones I want without paying anything, unfortunately that's not how it works (oooh, I wish it were, that would make things so much more easier
smily_headphones1.gif
) I would have to buy other headphones I'm interested in, then sell either those phones, or the AKGs. Depending on which I liked better. I think these might be the best phones I'm going to get for $215 or under (paid $215 for the K701s). So it's hard to be disappointed, I just want to see what my other options are, if I have any. If I'm not able to find any other phones I like in the same price range, I guess I should start saving up for a new amp maybe, then again I don't know how little the difference would be. Plus, amps are 10 times more confusing to buy than headphones.

Edit: My amp is a Headsave Classic V2

Oct 16, 2007 at 6:20 PM Post #4 of 61
What is your source / amp? IMHO a K701 in the right setup can be a very energetic/lively presentation.

Oct 17, 2007 at 12:18 AM Post #6 of 61
The K701 is a big step up from the HD555; better detail, bigger sound stage, tighter bass, more air, more realistic instruments. Many prefer it even to the HD600 and 650. I prefer my K701 for instrumentals and my HD650 for vocals. I would suggest looking at a different source/amp combination.

Oct 17, 2007 at 12:35 AM Post #8 of 61
They must not be your sound.

Try something different, maybe some Grado's. You must not like the in the stands approach to sound that the K701's are known for. The Grado's are more like on stage than in the crowd.

Although I'd recommend the Beyer DT880's but I'm definitely biased when it comes to them.

Oct 17, 2007 at 1:06 AM Post #9 of 61
Not a big fan myself, no secret. It's OK to not like something.
wink.gif

Sell them, they turn over pretty easy on here.
340smile.gif

Oct 17, 2007 at 1:25 AM Post #10 of 61
I wish I could try them on a really nice headphone amp and see if it's the phones i'm not so into or if it's because my current amp isn't beefy enough to drive them. Anyone around here with a good amp in Tucson?
smily_headphones1.gif

What other phones should I be looking for in the same price range? (right around $215, preferably not over that). How do the DT880's compare to the K701s? I'm sure there's a 1000 threads on that issue. I'll start searching around now. Again, I think it'll be hard to beat these phones for $215, but If I'm not diggin' em, I'm not diggin em. Maybe I'm just looking for something with a different sound.

Oct 17, 2007 at 1:31 AM Post #11 of 61
The K701's need an amp, but they don't need a crazy powerful amp. I'm sure your Headcase Classic would be fine. How long have you had them? You might want to let them burn in and get used to them a bit before deciding. You may like them eventually, anything's possible.
evil_smiley.gif

Oct 17, 2007 at 1:40 AM Post #12 of 61
Yeah I guess I should give them time to burn in. I bought them with about 12 hours use on them, mint condition. Since I got them I've probably used them 30 hours at least.

Oct 17, 2007 at 2:03 AM Post #13 of 61
if you read other k701 threads, they are supposed to need A LOT of time to break-in (well over 100 hours). they also need an amp with some umph.

i don't know your amp, but i have heard the k701s sound very good. i tend to like the neutral/analytical sound of the k701s. i think i'd break them in some more and determine if your amp is a contributor.

Oct 17, 2007 at 5:01 AM Post #14 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by ropeadope /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've had my AKG K701s for over 10 days now, and while I do like them, I also find them to be underwhelming. I used HD-555s for 2 or 3 years before getting these, and I really liked those. The K701s are a step up from the HD-555s, but a small step. I can't tell a whole lot of difference, and I think I'd rather get something sounding more different or other phones that are a bigger step up from the HD-555s. While I know I would be fairly satisfied if I decided to keep these AKG K701s for the next 3 or so years (until I break them
tongue.gif
), I think I would like to try other headphones first.

The problem is I can't just sample all the headphones I want without paying anything, unfortunately that's not how it works (oooh, I wish it were, that would make things so much more easier
smily_headphones1.gif
) I would have to buy other headphones I'm interested in, then sell either those phones, or the AKGs. Depending on which I liked better. I think these might be the best phones I'm going to get for $215 or under (paid $215 for the K701s). So it's hard to be disappointed, I just want to see what my other options are, if I have any. If I'm not able to find any other phones I like in the same price range, I guess I should start saving up for a new amp maybe, then again I don't know how little the difference would be. Plus, amps are 10 times more confusing to buy than headphones.

Edit: My amp is a Headsave Classic V2

After a century of burn in time they will sound great
smily_headphones1.gif
.. The 701 with the GS-1/Bada12 was excellent. I only sold them cause I sold my BADA12 to help pay for my DAC1. & the 701's sound like &*** with the DAC1s amp..

Oct 17, 2007 at 5:06 AM Post #15 of 61

Users who are viewing this thread

Back