AKG K701 - WOO AUDIO 6 ARRIVED - do I need headphone amp or will regular one do the job?
Jan 28, 2008 at 11:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 52

mike8787

New Head-Fier
Hi all,
this all started as me wanting to buy a good new headphones, by now i have spent like 8hrs on these forums in last 2 days, so I'm getting a bit confused here and there
smily_headphones1.gif

To put it simply:
Do I really need headphone amp if I already have an amplifier?

To clarify:
Headphone I want to buy: AKG K 701
Player I own: harman/kardon DVD 37
Amplifier and speakers bundle: Logitech THX Z-680 (5.1 home cinema)

How I imagine this would work:
DVD is connected to Logitech via optical cable, headhones would connect to Logitech control panel.

Now I can imagine that in Logitech is pretty crappy amplifier and I'm wondering if it will stand up to headhones 'needs' as for quality of the reproduction.

I would be grateful if any of you guys could advise me whether to buy a new headphone amp or if i should stick with Logitech.

thanks a lot,
Mike

Jan 29, 2008 at 12:30 AM Post #2 of 52
It might work, but the K701 is a very demanding headphone. Out of all my dynamic cans (and I've got quite a few) this is the one that needs the most juice. My B-52 (a very, very powerful amp) has to be turned up to the halfway point to get them to sound good. I'm kind of doubtful that the Logitech is going to cut it.

Jan 29, 2008 at 12:35 AM Post #3 of 52
My guess is that the Logitech will push the K701 volume-wise, but it will color the sound and degrade the SQ in general.

Jan 29, 2008 at 1:22 AM Post #4 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMarchingMule /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My guess is that the Logitech will push the K701 volume-wise, but it will color the sound and degrade the SQ in general.

I've really got a feeling that the Logitech will start distorting before it is able to truly push them the way they need to be pushed. Just to bring up the B-52 thing again, most of my headphones will make my ears bleed if I turn the volume up more than 30%. I have to go past 50% to make the K701 really sing.

Jan 29, 2008 at 2:12 AM Post #5 of 52
Go with a decent mid priced tube amp. If you can feed the 701s with it, it will feed any of them. Then you can tube roll to taste for each hp you get. My typical volume stays at 9. A quality amp and source will give you all the details without the additional dbs. Saves the ears.

Jan 29, 2008 at 2:18 AM Post #6 of 52
Hi guys,
thank for your replies so far.

Well I have made the first step and bought the phones (AKG K 701), I'm really excited
smily_headphones1.gif

I guess I'm just gonna try them with Logitech and if it's going to be crap (what i think it will), then I'll go ahead and buy that fancy WooAudio 6, i've been reading lot of threads that it goes well with that phones

Let's see how long does it take from States to UK...

I'm quite new to all this, and excited about all these options.

Thanks for help,
Mike

Jan 29, 2008 at 4:14 AM Post #7 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by earwicker7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My B-52 (a very, very powerful amp) has to be turned up to the halfway point to get them to sound good. I

What? even B52 isn't enough for K701???

Jan 29, 2008 at 6:05 PM Post #8 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by Capunk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What? even B52 isn't enough for K701???

No, it's definitely enough. My point was that it is an extremely powerful amp but still has to be turned up much higher than for any other dynamic can I have, so an amp with less power could have problems.

Jan 29, 2008 at 8:31 PM Post #10 of 52
The K701 is a very demanding headphone. I find even my HeadFive doesn't bring the best out of it.

Jan 30, 2008 at 1:47 AM Post #11 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by Happy Camper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Go with a decent mid priced tube amp. If you can feed the 701s with it, it will feed any of them. Then you can tube roll to taste for each hp you get. My typical volume stays at 9. A quality amp and source will give you all the details without the additional dbs. Saves the ears.

Can you make any recommendations on tube amps? I want to buy/build one but I don't know where to start. I've been looking at the Darkvoice 336i, or I might build a Millett Max (does this count as a tube amp?). EDIT: Now also looking at little dot MKII/MKIII.

Jan 30, 2008 at 2:24 AM Post #12 of 52
Those cheap logitech speakers will KILL the sound. Everything will sound muddy mark my words, I tried it through the same logitechs before I sold them to my brother. It's not an amp at all, it just adds more interference from your sound card to your headphones.

The actual amping on the logitech speakers is on the back of the subwoofer, the control pod is just there, to control and provide a very low quality headphone jack.
smily_headphones1.gif
Buy the replacement amp now!

Jan 30, 2008 at 5:08 AM Post #14 of 52
well you've done it

I mean convinced me, i'm glad i don't have a girlfriend or she would kill me to spent that kind of money on amp, hold on...
wait till my mother gets ahold of this bit of information....
(considering she lives 3000km away I should get to enjoy my new toys)

yes, yes...
i went for WooAudio 6, it's ordered hopefuly its going to be here soon

now i just need to buy the cables

thanks for your advice,
mike
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 30, 2008 at 5:39 AM Post #15 of 52
I envy you... i want WA6 too...
Did you order with any upgrades or stock WA6 only?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back