AKG K701 vs Denon AH D2000 vs Sennheiser HD 650.
Jul 10, 2011 at 12:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

xHiLex

Head-Fier
Looking at purchasing either of these 3 headphones - I listen to a lot of different styles of music - Rock (Metallica, Silverchair, Times of Grace, Breaking Benjamin, Tool) Metal/Deathcore fast paced (As Blood runs Black, The Devil Wears Prada, Killswitch Engage, Trivium) and also Dirty Dubstep - I like bass, but also love clarity and crispness and from times i listen to soft acoustic rock as i love vocals!

I only listen to music at home, so open/closed isnt an issue at all

Audiophile opinions would be great :) 

Jul 10, 2011 at 12:35 PM Post #2 of 13
Only heard the Q701's and they have very nice clean bass that goes deep but it does lack some impact. I would agree with most that is a nice blend and balance with mid/high's. 

The 701/2's are super clear and detailed, and very fast. Everyone says they have a long burn in time and need POWER. 

I actually just ordered the Q701's today, just trying to figure out if the little amp I have is good enough or not. 

Based on all the reviews and your music type, its seems you may need more bass then the 701/2's would have, the least bass of the 3, but I have not heard the others either.  The 650's maybe the best fit, though expensive.

I can tell you, If you want super clean and detailed music with bass that is blended perfect and amazing extension then 701/2's will work.  If you want impact and clean sound then the others are more likely better. 

Jul 10, 2011 at 12:42 PM Post #3 of 13
HD650's hands down. The K701/2 does not have enough bass. The D2000, while I haven't tried it, seems to be a step down from the HD650 SQ wise. Good luck.

I've owned both an HD650 and a K702.

Jul 10, 2011 at 1:19 PM Post #4 of 13
They're all great in their own way.

D2K has great bass
K701 has outstanding detail and resolution
HD650 has... a smooth sound and even the harshest treble is easy to listen to.

I think the detail on the D2K is good for the money you spend at the limitation of a closed can, thats really all it is.
I don't like how flat the K701 sounds when I just want to blank out and listen to music without concentrating to hear everything.
I don't like Sennheiser veil, it's just as guilty of coloring music as being colored. A good amp will improve this, but no headphone amp will 180 degree change what something sounds like.

If I absolutely had to choose between the 3, I'd get the Denon for what I listen to, then it'd be a coinflip between the Senny and the AKG. If I could get them both for the same price, I'd get the Senn just for trading equity.

Jul 11, 2011 at 7:06 AM Post #5 of 13
Thanks for the advise guys :)

I really want that "Wow" Factor when listening to fast paced rock and heavy dubstep, but at the same time when im playing poker i want that clear/crisp amazing vocal sound so i can concentrate on the game and not just the music, tough choice ahead of me

Jul 11, 2011 at 7:15 AM Post #6 of 13
You should also look at the amping requirements of all the headphones. The D2000's are the cheapest and the most efficient, the other two pretty much require some good amping to sound their best.

That doesn't mean the D2000's will sound their best without an amp, but you won't need such a powerful (usually) more expensive one.

EDIT: Also, what source are you using? I hope it won't be onboard sound.

Jul 11, 2011 at 7:25 AM Post #7 of 13
I don't own the K701, but I do own the other two headphones and the K601.

If I had to pick between the D2000, HD650, and K601, for the types of music the OP mentioned, I'd go with the K601, with the D2000 as my 2nd choice and the HD650 as my 3rd choice.  The K601 gives the best balance - crisp, not harsh highs; smooth mids; deep, albeit not pounding bass.  If I really wanted bass, the D2000 would be my choice, with its only weakness, a spot somewhere in the mid-range for male vocals.  If I needed to smooth out some harsh highs, the HD650 is good.

Jul 11, 2011 at 7:47 AM Post #8 of 13
I have owned the D2000 and now have the D5000 and also the HD650, never heard the K701, however for me the HD650 is a better all round performer than the D2000, far better mid-range and soundstage.
The HD650 will sound better and continue to impress, the better the equipment used the better the HD650 will sound . The Denon AH- D5000 is on a par with the HD650 in my opinion, hand on heart that would be my choice, but the HD650 would be my choice every time over the D2000. 

Jul 11, 2011 at 8:43 PM Post #9 of 13

Quote:
" The K601 gives the best balance - crisp, not harsh highs; smooth mids; deep, albeit not pounding bass " 

This is a very accurate statement.  I recently ordered the Q701's and everyone I have talked to says after about 100 hours on them the Q model really can produce some good bass / mid bass with impact.  The ones I heard were not broken in completely and they had good enough bass for me.  They could be the balance you are looking for. 

They are open cans so keep that in mind.

Jul 11, 2011 at 8:48 PM Post #10 of 13
Messed up the post structure above but the second part was my response, my bad 
blink.gif

Anyway, I found the Denon on sale today looking around, best price I have seen on them.  Not sure if it is best but can not find anyone else better right now.

http://www.buy.com/prod/denon-ah-d2000-high-performance-stereo-headphone-stereo-denon-ah-d2000/q/sellerid/29460652/loc/101/206928680.html

Jul 11, 2011 at 9:16 PM Post #11 of 13

Quote:
This is a very accurate statement.  I recently ordered the Q701's and everyone I have talked to says after about 100 hours on them the Q model really can produce some good bass / mid bass with impact.  The ones I heard were not broken in completely and they had good enough bass for me.  They could be the balance you are looking for.

So they don't sound thin or too airy anymore? I switched to the HD650 and am very very happy, I found the details were there but the music had some body. I didn't like the K70x series for 2 reasons, one was comfort and the other was tonal accuracy. It sounded really nice but instruments in the lower frequencies (low octave piano, bass, drums, organ etc) didn't sound anything like they did in real life and therefore did not convey the sense of power and grandeur they normally should. Would you say the Q701's are now tonally accurate?

Jul 12, 2011 at 8:28 PM Post #13 of 13

Quote:
So they don't sound thin or too airy anymore? I switched to the HD650 and am very very happy, I found the details were there but the music had some body. I didn't like the K70x series for 2 reasons, one was comfort and the other was tonal accuracy. It sounded really nice but instruments in the lower frequencies (low octave piano, bass, drums, organ etc) didn't sound anything like they did in real life and therefore did not convey the sense of power and grandeur they normally should. Would you say the Q701's are now tonally accurate?

I would say they still have the "airy" sound but now it is much more full.  There must be some difference in the Q model that allows the bass and mid bass to be stronger with more impact then the K.  Not a extreme amount but better. Would I say it has the bass of a HD650 no, but the Q model does have better bass then the K.  Also seems a little different on the highs, still very clear and detailed but just a tiny bit softer.

Honestly two headphones to have would be the Q and HD then you would almost have the entire range covered.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back