AKG K701 vs AKG K1000
Feb 9, 2006 at 9:04 AM Post #16 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ferbose
What I am trying to say is that the technical ability of a headphone is something more (but not totally) objective, and the enjoyment of a headphone is something more (but not totally) subjective.

Unless you're actually measuring them and coming up with better graphs etc., judgements on "technical ability" are still completely subjective IMO.

In fact, many people (not necessarily you) use this as a way to make their subjective opinions sound more definitive, i.e. they'll always talk about technical superiority because it's pseudo-objective and is more likely to convince people than just saying "I like them better."

To me, the K1000s are basically speakers that fit on the ears, and fall into a different category than most other headphones. It's a somewhat unfair comparison, particularly if you're talking about soundstage and spaciousness. Are ear speakers technically superior to headphones? You certainly have to admit that music is mixed/mastered for speaker playback. K701 vs K1000 is almost apples vs. oranges IMO. Like comparing the bass impact, speed and dynamics of a pair of speakers to that of a pair of headphones.

Feb 9, 2006 at 9:42 AM Post #17 of 21
Has anyone here ever tried amping them with an SR-71?
biggrin.gif
I have the money for the cans but not the molah for a new amp. But I could sustain going lower amped for some period.
biggrin.gif

Feb 9, 2006 at 10:09 AM Post #18 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by fewtch
Unless you're actually measuring them and coming up with better graphs etc., judgements on "technical ability" are still completely subjective IMO.

In fact, many people (not necessarily you) use this as a way to make their subjective opinions sound more definitive, i.e. they'll always talk about technical superiority because it's pseudo-objective and is more likely to convince people than just saying "I like them better."

It's time to pull out the specs and figures
biggrin.gif

I completely agree with you on this though.

Feb 9, 2006 at 11:24 AM Post #19 of 21
«Technical superiority» is a matter of very personal rating.

I've had the K 1000 in my system about a year ago. The only amp I had to drive it was a BEL 1001 power amp (after a wrongly switched K 1000 adapter had blown my Metaxas Solitaire). The BEL is a rather warm amp, so shouldn't be a bad match for the bright-ish K 1000. And it absolutely sounded quite good. But a few things bothered me in the long run: I couldn't wear it for longer than 15 minutes. I had to keep my head still like in a vice to make sure that the carefully adjusted position wasn't lost -- the result of a very loose fit. Unfortunately this didn't prevent it from hurting my head after a few minutes. So relaxed listening wasn't possible.

I had mixed feelings about the bass: I liked its precision and texture, but it wasn't what I would call flat and extended. There was a distinct hump (around 70 Hz?) followed by a steep drop-off. There was no low bass to speak of. The overall sound was very smooth, with excellent definition, but an emphasis somewhere in the upper mids, maybe followed by a slight dip in the lower treble, made for a slight sqwawkiness and masking of the treble range. So in the long run I preferred the HD 650's even smoother and particularly more intimate presentation, despite the somewhat lower detail and definition. I think the decisive difference was the (absent) low bass, though. I can't imagine how it can be recreated by a matching amp. I rather suspect a full sounding amp will shift the overall sonic balance in a way that the lack of low bass won't be that obvious anymore.

I for one would call such a limited bass extension a serious «technical» deficit. One that the K 701 certainly doesn't have. It has one of the strongest low basses I've heard from a headphone, without exaggerating it, just a rather flat bass response. I'm also quite satisfied with the K 701's detail and definition. I can't say if it's inferior (or superior) to the K 1000 in this regard without direct comparison, by all means the more even sonic balance and overall presentation and the much higher wearing comfort allow me to appreciate and enjoy this quality more than from the K 1000. This even applies to the spatial presentation, which is quite impressive from the K 701, while the K 1000's, although not less impressive, made it lack the intimacy I appreciate and want from a headphone. It may also have to do with the bass issue and/or the sonic balance, though.

I must admit that the one amp I had at my disposal may not allow a final judgment of the K 1000. After all I've also tried it on the Aria and the EMP, and although the volume level was limited, it sounded quite good with both, especially the EMP. But still the mentioned weaknesses were obvious. So I'd say the K 1000 needs an amp with a strong compensational effect. That doesn't shed a too favorable light on its «technical» merits, even considering its other, undisputed qualities. So I rate it as a somewhat problematic headphone or rather earspeaker with high demands on amps and a certain tolerance in view of its special fit. But I don't doubt that with the right amp and the necessary tolerance towards the bass issue it can sound excellent.

Feb 10, 2006 at 10:53 PM Post #20 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by smeggy
It's hard to get a good impression of what a set of cans would sound like from peoples descriptions...

Throw in some electric guitar rock and it's like riding the crest of a great orgasm.
biggrin.gif

Feb 10, 2006 at 11:09 PM Post #21 of 21
doobooloo recabled mine with some nice silver for a very good price. I think I've spent about 850 or so altogether on my K1000 setup. That's for the cans, amp, Zu Pivot IC, recabling and a psu.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back