AKG K701 unamplified, with cowon D2 player. Does it work?
Jan 16, 2008 at 5:00 PM Post #76 of 150
Quote:

Originally Posted by JaZZ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I thought I give double amplification a try and just tried the following combination: iAudio7 --> Corda Opera --> K 701. I'm puzzled about the result. Actually I didn't know what to expect. But I certainly didn't expect the i7 --> K 701 combo to downright outclass the i7 --> Opera --> K 701 combo. Yes, that's the clear verdict of my test. The amp, connected to the headphone out, offers not one single advantage compared to the direct connection; the K 701 on the i7's headphone out sounded clearer, fuller, rounder and cleaner. And actually very good.

Did you turn up volume on the player to a roughly 45/50 level when hooking up to the amp?

Jan 16, 2008 at 5:01 PM Post #77 of 150
Quote:

Well, that's the sort of «horse sense» that doesn't take notice of reality and the reports from people who have tried «it».

I thought I give double amplification a try and just tried the following combination: iAudio7 --> Corda Opera --> K 701. I'm puzzled about the result. Actually I didn't know what to expect. But I certainly didn't expect the i7 --> K 701 combo to downright outclass the i7 --> Opera --> K 701 combo. Yes, that's the clear verdict of my test. The amp, connected to the headphone out, offers not one single advantage compared to the direct connection; the K 701 on the i7's headphone out sounded clearer, fuller, rounder and cleaner. And actually very good.

Come on man!!! Well.....an iaudio7 is on the way, so i think i'll just order a K701 to give it a try! To paraphrase a famous saying of Blaise Pascal : If i buy it and it doesnt work, i wont lose anything, but if i dont buy it and it works i 'd lose everything"
biggrin.gif

Jan 16, 2008 at 5:15 PM Post #78 of 150
Quote:

Originally Posted by majkel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Did you turn up volume on the player to a roughly 45/50 level when hooking up to the amp?

The iAudio 7 settings go up to 40. I tried it with 35 and 40. The sound was the same. A specific setting to sort of mimick a line out is an urban legend anyway. Theoretically the maximum setting is ideal, because you don't risk to lose resulution (bit depth). In reality the digital volume regulation will use 24 bit for buffering (also for the DSP effects), so you may in fact get full resolution at lower levels.

Jan 16, 2008 at 5:23 PM Post #79 of 150
Quote:

Originally Posted by OvidiuDanut /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Come on man!!! Well.....an iaudio7 is on the way, so i think i'll just order a K701 to give it a try! To paraphrase a famous saying of Blaise Pascal : If i buy it and it doesnt work, i wont lose anything, but if i dont buy it and it works i 'd lose everything"
biggrin.gif

Hey, and the good thing with DAPs such as the i7 compared to home setups is that if the K 701 sounds too lean to your ears, you can always make use of the «JetEffects» (not necessary for me, though).

Jan 16, 2008 at 5:28 PM Post #80 of 150
Quote:

The iAudio 7 settings go up to 40.

I didn't know, just thought it's the same as in the Cowon D2
Quote:

I tried it with 35 and 40. The sound was the same. A specific setting to sort of mimick a line out is an urban legend anyway. Theoretically the maximum setting is ideal, because you don't risk to lose resulution (bit depth).

This is true for codecs other than Wolfson's. UDA1380 by Philips/NXP uses 0dB level at maximum volume setting while the Wolfson codecs use +6dB amplification, so assuming there are 1dB steps (safest approach) you need 6 steps below maximum. This gives exactly 34/40 and then it should be "transparent" for the samples before D/A conversion.
Quote:

In reality the digital volume regulation will use 24 bit for buffering (also for the DSP effects), so you may in fact get full resolution at lower levels.

I hardly believe the output level adjustment is done in the digital domain. You'd sacrifice the sample resolution on low volume levels even at the 24bit depth. It's more possible there is internal voltage divider switching between resistances. The 24 bit DSP is indeed necessary for sound effect end EQ which given 8 bit wide field deliver +-24dB amplitude adjustment for a certain bandwidth.

Jan 16, 2008 at 5:38 PM Post #81 of 150
Quote:

I hardly believe the output level adjustment is done in the digital domain. You'd sacrifice the sample resolution on low volume levels even at the 24bit depth. It's more possible there is internal voltage divider switching between resistances.

In fact I don't really know. But I have a hard time believing in a complex resistor network in these tiny players, whereas even Wadia players and DACs use digital volume regulation and therefore suffer from reduced bit depths at low levels.

Jan 16, 2008 at 5:47 PM Post #82 of 150
Quote:

UDA1380 by Philips/NXP uses 0dB level at maximum volume setting while the Wolfson codecs use +6dB amplification, so assuming there are 1dB steps (safest approach) you need 6 steps below maximum. This gives exactly 34/40 and then it should be "transparent" for the samples before D/A conversion.

I don't believe in this theory, because I don't believe in a shorter, more direct signal path (which is the advantage of a physical line out) at exactly -6 dB. In reality the signal wil pass exactly the same electronics components as at -0 dB or -20 dB.

Jan 16, 2008 at 7:51 PM Post #83 of 150
Quote:

Originally Posted by HardHeadCase
So if I plug my 701s into a GS-1 amplifier I will fry them?

You sure you are on the correct website?

Do you use a Headphone amp?

Besides the one integrated into my DAC and DAP? No. Not worth the effort for my setup.

Quote:

My question to Malos is this, Do you think the people in this thread are that unintelligent? He mentioned that to negate something I said and not to add something constructive to the thread.

1. I am not arguing, I am just clearing things up because you seem to be confused about such things as power needs of headphones and power output of amps.
2. I don't think people in this thread are unintelligent, but if you insist, I think you are. No offense meant.
3. I believe clarification of a statement that is either confusing or incorrect is constructive and important in this thread, and any other for that matter.

Jan 16, 2008 at 9:57 PM Post #84 of 150
I don't believe that he is un intelligent. Perhaps not as knowledgable on this subject as you are, but then if thats true the only one who knows that is you cause the rest of us here are just as un-knowledgable. That is we don't know or care which one of you is right. We only care about getting the best sound quality possible. Most of us also hope to spend as much money as possible haha. In short this whole thread is screwing us up. So I would like to take a second to give some real Head fi advice. (even though I'm only a junior headfier. Buy the K701 headphones try out your current set up. If it sounds good, keep it if it doesn't, buy more gear. Thats the true headfi attitude, and a perfect algorhythme for emptying your bank account cheers!!!!

Jan 16, 2008 at 10:43 PM Post #86 of 150
Quote:

Originally Posted by OvidiuDanut /img/forum/go_quote.gif
biggrin.gif

When I started this thread, I didn't want to force somebody to spend some money just to check my assumption, so you don't need to do it...
smily_headphones1.gif
)

Jan 17, 2008 at 11:20 AM Post #90 of 150
Quote:

I don't believe in this theory, because I don't believe in a shorter, more direct signal path (which is the advantage of a physical line out) at exactly -6 dB. In reality the signal wil pass exactly the same electronics components as at -0 dB or -20 dB.

It doesn't have to be shortened, you just choose a certain output gain setting by switching voltage division on the input side, or in the negative feedback loop.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back