AKG K701. So good, I sold my DX1000's
Mar 26, 2008 at 3:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 34

jgonino

Headphoneus Supremus
I have been grooving through the late hours with my DX1000's for the last few weeks, and I must day they sound really good. I had never heard such a tremendous soundstage from a closed headphone.

I had never heard the K701 for a long period of time, let alone with a good amp and source, so I decided to pick up a pair. After the first listen, I was hooked! They have a lower serial number, and are fully burned in. My favorite track with them was Opeth's Grand Conjuration. While the K701 do not have bass like the DX1000, there is something there that made me want to hear more. I used them almost exclusively for a couple of days, and I could not get enough. I switched back to the JVC's, and I found I was missing the open-sound of the headphones.

That is when it hit me: I am an open-headphone man. I thought I would never say it, but I sold my $700 dollar wooden headphones (actually traded, more later) for a $200 pair of white plastic ones with no bass.
eek.gif

As for the trade, I swapped a member in canada for a pair of AD2000 + some cash. I cannot wait to hear them, as some say they are the k701 only better in every way.

Mar 26, 2008 at 3:26 PM Post #2 of 34
Are you happier? If so, congratulations!!! ;-D
IMHO both are good performers, with different virtues and flaws. I like better the "fun factor" of the DX1000, but the K701 are more accurate and revealing, specially in the highs.
Enjoy your K701!. Regards.

Mar 26, 2008 at 3:46 PM Post #5 of 34
I am going to be drving the AD2000 with the following chain:

Music hall CDP ( Or laptop) - Paradesia + DAC - Bada PH-12

The Bada will not like the low impedance, so I am trying to sell it. I am going to drop the price again to see If I can sell it quick.

Mar 26, 2008 at 3:49 PM Post #6 of 34
What about K701, they are 120 Ohm, are they? And need a lot of juice as well, so I have heard/read/briefly tried.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jgonino /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am going to be drving the AD2000 with the following chain:

Music hall CDP ( Or laptop) - Paradesia + DAC - Bada PH-12

The Bada will not like the low impedance, so I am trying to sell it. I am going to drop the price again to see If I can sell it quick.

Mar 26, 2008 at 3:59 PM Post #7 of 34
the AD2000 are only 40 ohm, which is very low. The K701 is high enough that you do not get the humming noise, or the other issues associated with low impedance headphones.

for reference, my ultrasones are also 40 ohm, and have a lot of humming and some hiss with the bada

Mar 26, 2008 at 4:05 PM Post #8 of 34
Get Zana
biggrin.gif

Quote:

the AD2000 are only 40 ohm, which is very low. The K701 is high enough that you do not get the humming noise, or the other issues associated with low impedance headphones.

for reference, my ultrasones are also 40 ohm, and have a lot of humming and some hiss with the bada

Mar 26, 2008 at 4:17 PM Post #9 of 34
Yeah.....If I had $1800 + dollars lying around, I would be all over that! Maybe I can get a yamamoto HA-02? I also had good luck with the singlepower line when using low-Z headphones.

Mar 26, 2008 at 4:24 PM Post #10 of 34
Yes, you are right, but I didn't mean to sounds sarcastic
wink.gif

Quote:

Yeah.....If I had $1800 + dollars lying around, I would be all over that! Maybe I can get a yamamoto HA-02? I also had good luck with the singlepower line when using low-Z headphones.

Mar 26, 2008 at 4:27 PM Post #11 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by Blackmore /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, you are right, but I didn't mean to sounds sarcastic
wink.gif

You came across just fine, maybe I just don't know how to communicate with people outside of the US
redface.gif

I will be sure to post impressions of the new setup.

Price drop on the Bada to $450.
biggrin.gif

Mar 26, 2008 at 4:52 PM Post #12 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by Blackmore /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What about K701, they are 120 Ohm, are they? And need a lot of juice as well, so I have heard/read/briefly tried.

701's are rated at 62 Ohms..But have a rather high sensitivity @ 105. At any rate they may not be high in resistance but they definately need power because of the low sensitivity.

jgonino. Glad you like the 701's Great set of cans. IMO

Mar 26, 2008 at 4:54 PM Post #13 of 34
Opeth with the K701s ?

Quote:

I have been grooving through the late hours with my DX1000's for the last few weeks, and I must day they sound really good. I had never heard such a tremendous soundstage from a closed headphone.

I had never heard the K701 for a long period of time, let alone with a good amp and source, so I decided to pick up a pair. After the first listen, I was hooked! They have a lower serial number, and are fully burned in. My favorite track with them was Opeth's Grand Conjuration. While the K701 do not have bass like the DX1000, there is something there that made me want to hear more. I used them almost exclusively for a couple of days, and I could not get enough. I switched back to the JVC's, and I found I was missing the open-sound of the headphones.

That is when it hit me: I am an open-headphone man. I thought I would never say it, but I sold my $700 dollar wooden headphones (actually traded, more later) for a $200 pair of white plastic ones with no bass.
eek.gif

As for the trade, I swapped a member in canada for a pair of AD2000 + some cash. I cannot wait to hear them, as some say they are the k701 only better in every way.

Mar 26, 2008 at 5:05 PM Post #14 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by ndskyz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
701's are rated at 62 Ohms..But have a rather high sensitivity @ 105. At any rate they may not be high in resistance but they definately need power because of the low sensitivity.

jgonino. Glad you like the 701's Great set of cans. IMO

This is a confusing specification. If you look at AKG's site, that's the sensivity for 1V, not for 1mW. If you match that sensivity for the 62 Ohm impedance of the phones, the real sensivity is around 93dB/mW, which is in the lowish side of things. You just compare how loud they sound compared to Senn HD600 (97dB/mW) or Grados (SR60 is a very high sensivity headphone at almost 115dB/mW) and you'll know what's going on.

K701s are a bitch to move and sound as good as they can. Their impedance a bit in the low side plus their lowish sensivity ask quite a lot from an amplifier and that's been reported many times in this forum.

Rgrds.

Mar 26, 2008 at 5:45 PM Post #15 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cool_Torpedo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is a confusing specification. If you look at AKG's site, that's the sensivity for 1V, not for 1mW. If you match that sensivity for the 62 Ohm impedance of the phones, the real sensivity is around 93dB/mW, which is in the lowish side of things. You just compare how loud they sound compared to Senn HD600 (97dB/mW) or Grados (SR60 is a very high sensivity headphone at almost 115dB/mW) and you'll know what's going on.

K701s are a bitch to move and sound as good as they can. Their impedance a bit in the low side plus their lowish sensivity ask quite a lot from an amplifier and that's been reported many times in this forum.

Rgrds.

You know I've never paid that any attention. Wonder why they listed that with a 1V input. Looks like they did that to make it seem like the Can would be easier to drive...yeah right..lol At anyrate the 701's certainly are power hungry, and need a good amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back