AKG K701 & Sennheiser 650
Apr 28, 2010 at 12:12 AM Post #16 of 32
I agree with the assessment that the K701 are more revealing. But in no way would I say that the HD650s are muddy, just not as revealing as the K701. the HD650s are more "bass-y" and fill more of the lower end and the K701 has better "treble" and sound more quick. They have very different sound signatures if depending on your musical tastes and preference, you can love one and not the either. I have had both headphones for several years and learned to appreciate their strengths and weaknesses. These two headphones have been discussed, debated, and debated to no end. The only way to know which one suits you best is to take extended listens to them.

Apr 28, 2010 at 1:09 PM Post #17 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by ak622 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I agree with the assessment that the K701 are more revealing. But in no way would I say that the HD650s are muddy, just not as revealing as the K701. the HD650s are more "bass-y" and fill more of the lower end and the K701 has better "treble" and sound more quick. They have very different sound signatures if depending on your musical tastes and preference, you can love one and not the either. I have had both headphones for several years and learned to appreciate their strengths and weaknesses. These two headphones have been discussed, debated, and debated to no end. The only way to know which one suits you best is to take extended listens to them.

To your ears, the Senn 650 is more friendly, when it comeS to recordings over the K701?

Apr 28, 2010 at 1:26 PM Post #18 of 32
Very different presentation of music both nice but again different. The 701 super resolving of low level detail, big sound stage, the 650 more natural, more bass, smoother, love them both

Apr 28, 2010 at 1:48 PM Post #20 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by TDL-speakers /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Been living with the AKG K701 headphones for over 1 year. With out a question they are very good headphones with fantastic detail and midrange.

Just out of curiosity, has anyone compared the AKG K701 to the Sennheiser 650s? If so, what are the difference between the two?

Plus, does both the K701 & 650 have a flat frequency response?

Few years ago I've sold my HD650 in favour of K701. K701 are much faster, detailed and precise headphones. Their spacious headstage and instrument separation are fantastic for a dynamic headphone.
But both are not flat. HD650 have hump in the midbas where K701 have fall. HD650 are much darker with fuller and intimate sound. I can't say "intimate" for the precise AKGs
smily_headphones1.gif

If I must choose now I'd go with the senns but then I was fascinated by the precision.

Apr 28, 2010 at 2:03 PM Post #21 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tomoyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Which one has more romance?

Grados, you see romance is old fashion and to me a Grado is an old fashion statement headphones
biggrin.gif

Apr 28, 2010 at 2:19 PM Post #22 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by TDL-speakers /img/forum/go_quote.gif
From what I've read, I'm fascinated that some people prefer the sound of the Senn 600 over the 650.

The HD600 and 650 look very similar (yes i know which is which). Like identical twins they have different personalities. The 650 has mid end bump and it sounds like youre in the front row. The bass overall is a little bit more prominent and creeps higher into the mids. Impact is softer. Highs are aggressive and hot (still smooth) on the 650 IMO.

The HD600 sounds more laid back maybe 3rd row - sound originates farther away (no where near as extreme as a 701). Mids might be tiny bit recessed or just shy of flat, none of the 650's mid end bump. The highs seems like they roll off, whatever is there is less refined than the 650 IMO. Bass impact is awesome with the 600 - and the reason i currently prefer them to suit the music im listening to.

Maybe i have the wrong headphones lol.

Apr 28, 2010 at 2:21 PM Post #23 of 32
Not another crappy k701 vs hd650 thread!!please do yourself a favour and do search this forum,I don't think anybody can add anything else that hasn't been said in the last comparison thread(link in the previous page).
Stop making this threads please we had enough!!

Apr 28, 2010 at 3:13 PM Post #24 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by jh4db536 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The HD600 and 650 look very similar (yes i know which is which). Like identical twins they have different personalities. The 650 has mid end bump and it sounds like youre in the front row. The bass overall is a little bit more prominent and creeps higher into the mids. Impact is softer. Highs are aggressive and hot (still smooth) on the 650 IMO.

The HD600 sounds more laid back maybe 3rd row - sound originates farther away (no where near as extreme as a 701). Mids might be tiny bit recessed or just shy of flat, none of the 650's mid end bump. The highs seems like they roll off, whatever is there is less refined than the 650 IMO. Bass impact is awesome with the 600 - and the reason i currently prefer them to suit the music im listening to.

Maybe i have the wrong headphones lol.

Just wondering. Are you not accidentally confusing the two? Your description of the HD-600 sounds more like the HD-650 to me! The HD-650 are the headphones where the upper frequencies roll off a bit. You can even see this in frequency graphs. THE HD-650 from what i've heard, is a more polite version of the HD-600 when it comes to some of the highs.

In no way, do I think the HD-600 has recessed mids, but maybe with the HD-650. I do agree though that the HD-650 is the one with much more bass. With the 600 I feel like i'm in the front row or even closer! That seems to go against the Sennheiser sound, but maybe it's my ears. I feel as if i'm even closer to the actual music then with the AKG 701!

Apr 28, 2010 at 4:38 PM Post #26 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by tdockweiler /img/forum/go_quote.gif
With the 600 I feel like i'm in the front row or even closer! That seems to go against the Sennheiser sound, but maybe it's my ears. I feel as if i'm even closer to the actual music then with the AKG 701!

You are very correct (to my ears at least...).
The HD600 creates a very intimate and close space. (Maybe it's the vice-like pressure of the cans
wink_face.gif
, but) these really push all the sound into your head with very little soundstage. It it similar to the effect of IEM's.

shane

Apr 29, 2010 at 4:12 AM Post #27 of 32
i know it sounds wrong because it defies popular belief on this forum; but ive own both still for over a year and it surprised me when i brought the 650 drivers out after a 9 months of storage (i am original owner of the 650). I know that my 600 drivers have a matte black plastic finish while the 650 are glossy, have serial number, and match the grills (i have a DIY hd600 so it uses my 650 frame, grills, and equinox cable). I only listen to them balanced either from the apache, dac1 from the preouts, or more recently a b22 where it really reveals the differences between the two.

i never understand the "vice grip" of the hd6xx. it is so easy to "bend" the metal bands to get the pressure just right. Just extend the headband all the way and bend it then readjust it to the correct length.

Apr 29, 2010 at 7:02 AM Post #28 of 32
I have not heard the K701s so I can't comment on their sound. But I must say a few people do not drive the HD650s properly and form their impressions based on an improperly driven HD650.

Earlier I was using cheap amps to drive the HD650. Now that I have a bit better amp (Compass) than earlier they sound MUCH better. So my impression is changed again. The HD650s sound depends a lot on the system it is connected to.

Apr 29, 2010 at 7:09 AM Post #29 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by brendon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...The HD650s sound depends a lot on the system it is connected to.

Utter veracity in that statement, without question.

Apr 29, 2010 at 11:55 AM Post #30 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by brendon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But I must say a few HD650s do not drive the HD650s properly and form their impressions based on an improperly driven HD650.

But unfortunately, utter confusion in this one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back