AKG K701 recabling, would u do it?
Mar 20, 2009 at 9:53 AM Post #166 of 173
Quote:

Originally Posted by RnB180 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Its not difficult if you have experience with soldering.
I made a tutorial, voodoochili confirmed the 701s assembly is the same.

Line In Cable Help - Head-Fi: Covering Headphones, Earphones and Portable Audio

look over the tutorial, it should ease you worries a bit.

Id have used the 701s as my guinea pig but no one has had them in stock for the last 999999999999999999999999999999999 centuries.

rumor has it the 701 replenish of 30 units within a few more milleniums.

smily_headphones1.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
D
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
:
biggrin.gif
D:
biggrin.gif
D:
biggrin.gif
D: (i made a funny, please dont take it serious)

This is very interesting, as a friend and me are buying some Mogami cable to rewire my K702 and his K701. I know this thread goes back to 2006, but has anybody a link to the tutorial mentioned above (link takes you to a completely different thread)?

Cheers

Mar 20, 2009 at 6:13 PM Post #167 of 173
I've had my K701's apart and it's not that hard to do.

First thing to do is remove the small chrome grill that is in the center of each phone. I use toothpicks for this. I take four toothpicks, and insert them into holes in the grill, two on each side, very close together and use them for leverage to twist the grill counterclockwise. It takes some force to break it loose so I use the wooden toothpicks so as not to damage the plastic.

From here you just need a couple of phillips screwdrivers, one normal size and a smaller one. The white part that the chrome grill is attached to is removed by squeezing the sides firmly to disengage two plastic tabs. Again, these are really in there so you have to muscle them some.

If you are considering re-cabling yourself, I'd mark the + and - sides of the drivers with a little dot of liquid paper or something so you won't accidentally wire them backwards. There is a .pdf document that shows an exploded view of the K601/K701 that is very helpful to refer to when putting everything back together. I have it but I can't attach it since it's a 149kb file and Head-Fi's max for .pdf's is 19.5kb. Send me a PM and I'll send it to you.

Mar 20, 2009 at 7:38 PM Post #168 of 173
Quote:

Originally Posted by cswann1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've had my K701's apart and it's not that hard to do.

First thing to do is removes the small chrome grill that is in the center of each phone. I use toothpicks for this. I take four toothpicks, and insert them into holes in the grill, two on each side, very close together and use them for leverage to twist the grill counterclockwise. It takes some force to break it loose so I use the wooden toothpicks so as not to damage the plastic.

From here you just need a couple of phillips screwdrivers, one normal size and a smaller one. The white part that the chrome grill is attached to is removed by squeezing the sides firmly to disengage two plastic tabs. Again, these are really in there so you have to muscle them some.

If you are considering re-cabling yourself, I'd mark the + and - sides of the drivers with a little dot of liquid paper or something so you won't accidentally wire them backwards. There is a .pdf document that shows an exploded view of the K601/K701 that is very helpful to refer to when putting everything back together. I have it but I can't attach it since it's a 149kb file and Head-Fi's max for .pdf's is 19.5kb. Send me a PM and I'll send it to you.

Many thanks, I am sending a PM.

Mar 20, 2009 at 8:35 PM Post #169 of 173
Nope. I don't believe in recabling or a lot of other things held as truths on HF. If I don't like the fundamental sound of a pair of headphones, I mod them or sell them; I don't spend money trying to turn them into the headphones I wish I'd bought.

Mar 21, 2009 at 10:15 AM Post #170 of 173
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mandrakespain /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is very interesting, as a friend and me are buying some Mogami cable to rewire my K702 and his K701. I know this thread goes back to 2006, but has anybody a link to the tutorial mentioned above (link takes you to a completely different thread)?

Cheers

Let us know...
k701smile.gif

Apr 9, 2010 at 5:25 PM Post #171 of 173
When I compare a Mogami recabled AKG K702 to stock cable I feel the sound more natural and more balanced with original cable. But the Mogami cable provides a colored sound which is closer to Denon Headphones but not the original flavor of the AKGs. I wonder if it's the same with Cardas or Equinox?

Jul 4, 2010 at 5:08 PM Post #172 of 173
I have tried many different speaker cables and changing headphone cables and I personally  have never heard any difference. Then again without an A-B blind test its a tad tricky to pick up any differences. How many of you have been trying a new set of headphones or a newly re-cabled set and notice things you haven't before? is this because the things you noticed were just not there before or because you are were looking for a difference? 

Jul 4, 2010 at 10:19 PM Post #173 of 173
Yes I will...
if only I can open this fing !!!!

I just DIYed an rca-rca 4N silver cable yesterday and the difference was so obvious compare to my other occ copper cable

Quote:
homeros8000 said:

When I compare a Mogami recabled AKG K702 to stock cable I feel the sound more natural and more balanced with original cable. But the Mogami cable provides a colored sound which is closer to Denon Headphones but not the original flavor of the AKGs. I wonder if it's the same with Cardas or Equinox?

Thats true for me too, no matter what cables i try with my previous k702, always find the stock cable to be more natural haha.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back