AKG K701 or Grado SR 325is?
Oct 7, 2009 at 7:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

El Bishop

New Head-Fier
Looking to get a new pair of cans for home listening on my computer system (Macbook, ALAC). I currently have Grado SR60s and Shure SE530s. I love both but neither is ideal for relaxed but critical listening at home. I don't have an external DAC for this system or a headphone amp but am considering the headroom mini versions of each. Guessing these are less necessary with teh Grado 325 than with the AKGs.

Any advice is much appreciated.

Oct 7, 2009 at 7:55 PM Post #2 of 13
For your intended purpose/system, I think you'd probably be happier with the Grado. The 701 really needs synergistic amplification to give its best.

Oct 7, 2009 at 8:21 PM Post #3 of 13
Thanks for the response, carl. To achieve "synergistic amplification," do you suggest I try something other than the headroom micro? Or do you mean that it just requires some type of amplification?

Oct 7, 2009 at 8:50 PM Post #5 of 13
I listen to both but definitely more rock/metal than classical.

Do people think the Grado's need amplification at all? I think an external DAC will be necessary but think the amp may not be.

Oct 7, 2009 at 11:55 PM Post #6 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by El Bishop /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the response, carl. To achieve "synergistic amplification," do you suggest I try something other than the headroom micro? Or do you mean that it just requires some type of amplification?

Excellent question which I really can't answer not having tried the micro with the 701 (which I assume we're talking about). Sorry I can't help you with that. I do know that the 701 is not at its best with some amps but it seems to like high quality SS as with the Heed CanAmp (my choice). Maybe get some more feedback here if you zero in on the 701 and you'll probably find someone who's tried them with the micro. In any case, best of luck!
k701smile.gif

Oct 8, 2009 at 2:32 AM Post #7 of 13
There are threads in the 'Fullsize amp' section where folk discuss the best amp for the K701 - all I know is that you need something that would kickstart a Mack truck : solid-state, mains-powered and plenty of current/voltage/herbies. You will see a lot of recommendations for the Heed Canamp - I strongly recommend that you audition one before buying.

Oct 8, 2009 at 4:27 AM Post #8 of 13
I own both the K-701 and the SR-225i; I don't own, however, the SR-325 nor have I listened to them. Still, based on your music preference (rock) and setup (direct from your laptop) I'd say the Grados will do you best. I find my K-701 great for acoustic stuff and my SR-255i great for rock stuff.

One caveat only: the bowl earpads on my Grado's are not really confortable to wear for more than an hour, whereas I can wear my K-701's the whole day!

cheers!

Oct 8, 2009 at 5:13 AM Post #9 of 13
Go for the SR-325is's if you are more into rock and already dig the SR-60 sound and comfort level. (They aren't the best with classical, that's for sure, but are more versatile than the AKG's and super refined in the mid's and highs.) They need relatively little amplification and run rather well strait out of a Macbook. The 701/702's will indeed need a hearty (likely expensive) amp to work well. Without a good amp, they are widely viewed to be unacceptably lackluster.

Oct 8, 2009 at 12:28 PM Post #11 of 13
I think a K701 direct from a laptop will not be very satisfying as they need lots of current or they sound even thinner. I would suggest something like a Beyer DT880 or Denon D5000 for a different sound that is acceptable unamped. The 325is I have is fine unamped but is only a more refined version the SR60 IMO and will sound pretty similar.

Oct 8, 2009 at 2:03 PM Post #12 of 13
Depends on the laptop. My Macbook pro seems to do fairly well with the K701 especially if you are using iTunes with the equalization.

If you are on a PC and have no amp then you need a Xonar card. Creative labs cards don't work at all with the K701.

In terms of amps it depends on your budget. I am quite happy with my 3322 on my K701 although it was hella painful during the burnin process. Started to sweeten up after about 30 hours or so. Allot of people like the Heed Canamp with the K701 but I wanted tubes for the warmth. There are many that think that the 336se with the right tubes sounds absolutely amazing. I went with the 3322 because it has a bit more refined sound signature (almost solid state like) but with the option of putting some tubes in to further tune the sound to your tastes. All of these amps can be had for under $400.00 or a little over 400 if you include shipping.

If you have a bigger budget, then allot of the same amps people like with every other phone works well. Allot of WA6/SE users have K701's, Mapletree Ear+HD seems to work well with the K701 as well and is probably my next amp. You can just keep going from there.

It is not that tricky to power the k701's like everyone say it is. You just have to like the sound signature of the k701 which tends to be extremely clean and analytical with no coloration. If you like that base sound signature then audition some amplifiers and pic the one that adds sound elements to them that you like. In my case I wanted a bit more warmth without loosing the accuracy and detail.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back