AKG k701 or BEYERDYNAMIC DT-880 PRO
Sep 14, 2007 at 5:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

jrupe

New Head-Fier
I've done a lot of research and asking around, and I think I've narrowed my choices down to the AKG k701 or the BEYERDYNAMIC DT-880 PRO for my top end headphones. Anyone out there hear them both? how do they compare? I dont have access to hear either so I'm going by reviews and discussions with retailers.
Also, any recommendation for a great amp to match?
As for my taste, I havent heard a pair of Senns that compare to the same priced Grados. I use the Grado 60's with my Ipod.
But now I'm shopping for a home set up. Help appreciated. Thanks - Jason

Sep 14, 2007 at 5:13 AM Post #2 of 15
I'm sure you know by now that they are both marvelous and that it comes down to preference. I'm sorry that I can't comment on the DT-880. But please allow me to say something about the K701 sonic signature-strength and weakness. It has a wide open texture and beautiful handling of textures and sound layers. The high end is its real strong suit but can get harsh (even with burn in). The low end is detailed but on the lean side. I think, given specs and experience, the low frequencies are present but not in large quantities. It would sound its best if you can pair it with a warm amp that would smooth out the highs and give some weight to the bottom.

Sep 14, 2007 at 11:29 AM Post #3 of 15
I have had both headphones. I personally chose to go with the dt880's in the end, but I will admit that the k701 seems to be the bigger people pleaser. Not only are they incredibly popular around here, but when I had my family try out the k701s and then the dt880's, it seemed that they had a bigger smile on their face for the AKG's. I guess the k701's bigger soundstage did the trick. I think another reason that makes the k701 more received around here is its less wild highs that the dt880 sometimes displays.

Both headphones have somewhat lean bass compared to headphones that have a focus on that frequency range, but while the dt880's bass can still kick butt when called for, the k701's bass, to my ears, is truly lean. Like the poster said above, an amp that will bring out the k701's bass while keeping it detailed would be a great pairing.

Both headphones are comfortable, but I found that the dt880s ran ahead of the k701 when it came to comfort.

Good luck...which ever you choose will make you happy
wink.gif

*edit* Oh I forgot to mention that the dt880 I'm talking about is the dt880'250'05 version, which I believe is slightly different from the DT880 pro model. So YMMV!

Sep 18, 2007 at 5:53 PM Post #4 of 15
Thank you both for the great input. In a way you made my choices easier by knowing that I cant go wrong with either. Maybe I'll buy one then the other later. I'll spend my time picking out a great amp in between. Thank you much again! - Jason

Sep 18, 2007 at 6:10 PM Post #5 of 15
I found the K701 more enjoyable, by a slight margin. IMHO the DT880 (current version) has a little treble boost that can get a little sibilant with certain vocals.

IMHO you should also consider the Sony SA5000. IMHO they are all in the same league.

Sep 18, 2007 at 8:15 PM Post #6 of 15
I own both, but prefer the K701. The soundstage and detail have allowed me to hear details in my music which I never heard before.

DT880 (600 ohm) is also very good...with a slight bit more bass extension. Overall, I prefer the K701

Sep 19, 2007 at 3:48 AM Post #7 of 15
I'm getting a consistent message reading other posts and from all of you, that the k701 give more detail, better room, better placement etc., but at a sacrifice of some bass. I'm thinking that paring the k701 with an amp that carries bass well would be the right way to go, for a first top quality pair.
I'm dealing with Grado 60s on my ipod, and nuttun but junk beyond that right now, so either will be a big deal to me, but I think I'll go AKG to start.
My next bit of research may just be pairing with the right amp...
Thank you all.

Sep 19, 2007 at 7:11 AM Post #8 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by jrupe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm getting a consistent message reading other posts and from all of you, that the k701 give more detail, better room, better placement etc., but at a sacrifice of some bass. I'm thinking that paring the k701 with an amp that carries bass well would be the right way to go, for a first top quality pair.
I'm dealing with Grado 60s on my ipod, and nuttun but junk beyond that right now, so either will be a big deal to me, but I think I'll go AKG to start.
My next bit of research may just be pairing with the right amp...
Thank you all.

look at the headamp offerings - the gilmore lite and the GS-1. both work well with the k701 (i just sold both my k701 and GS-1). the heed canamp is another to check out...some like the darkvoice amps with the k701 as well.

i agree with what's been posted in this thread...the k701 truly is a great headphone, but it does need a good amp to truly shine.

Sep 21, 2007 at 4:23 AM Post #9 of 15
For the matching amps, I've been suggested a Darkvoice, Headroom and the Bada PH12 a lot. I'll add your new items to the list to consider as well.
Plan to build my own in a few weeks too, like an M3, just to see what happens.
Thanks for the added suggestions! - J

Sep 21, 2007 at 4:35 AM Post #10 of 15
Cool thread
cool.gif
I was thinking about posting the same one! I think that probably the 701s would be a better choice if you don't want to shell out the big bucks for a really nice amp, since the impedance is so much lower for the 701s than for the 880s.

Sep 21, 2007 at 6:05 AM Post #11 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by spurlints /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Cool thread
cool.gif
I was thinking about posting the same one! I think that probably the 701s would be a better choice if you don't want to shell out the big bucks for a really nice amp, since the impedance is so much lower for the 701s than for the 880s.

Hi Spurlints=]
I'm not too quite sure about this, but just wanted to give you a heads up. I've read quite a few times that the k701, while being a low impedance can, has special requirements to drive them well. Something like "it needs plenty voltage and plenty current" to be driven to its full potential. Once again, I'm not too sure about it myself, but I hope someone more knowledgeable will comment on this.

Later!

Sep 21, 2007 at 9:01 AM Post #12 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by denl82 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi Spurlints=]
I'm not too quite sure about this, but just wanted to give you a heads up. I've read quite a few times that the k701, while being a low impedance can, has special requirements to drive them well. Something like "it needs plenty voltage and plenty current" to be driven to its full potential. Once again, I'm not too sure about it myself, but I hope someone more knowledgeable will comment on this.

Later!

That would mean that they are power hungry, since power is "voltage times current".

I often see statement's that a can is "easy to drive" because it has low impedance (=resistance). All that means is that a lower voltage swing is needed to push a certain amount of power into the headphone -which means that portable equipment running on low voltage have a chance of powering such headphones. So, yes, it is "easier" since it requires less voltage swing, but no it is not easier since it will require more current.

So rather than saying "easier" it would be better to say "suitable for portable equipment". (Bit long, admittedly)

Some headphones will require less power than others to emit a given sound pressure level. If such an efficient headphone has low impedance as well it should be ideal for ipods and such.
Only problem is that efficiency is often measured as SPL for a given voltage -ignoring current demands. It ought to be measured in SPL for a given power input.

I'm sure that didn't clear anything up!
cool.gif

Sep 21, 2007 at 2:53 PM Post #13 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by pfloding /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That would mean that they are power hungry, since power is "voltage times current".

I often see statement's that a can is "easy to drive" because it has low impedance (=resistance). All that means is that a lower voltage swing is needed to push a certain amount of power into the headphone -which means that portable equipment running on low voltage have a chance of powering such headphones. So, yes, it is "easier" since it requires less voltage swing, but no it is not easier since it will require more current.

So rather than saying "easier" it would be better to say "suitable for portable equipment". (Bit long, admittedly)

Some headphones will require less power than others to emit a given sound pressure level. If such an efficient headphone has low impedance as well it should be ideal for ipods and such.
Only problem is that efficiency is often measured as SPL for a given voltage -ignoring current demands. It ought to be measured in SPL for a given power input.

I'm sure that didn't clear anything up!
cool.gif

Hey Pfloding=]
Thanks for the break down. Yea, even though the k701s are have a low impedance, they are not the most efficient cans around(or so I've read). Just hoping the op gets a synergistic amp and all=D

Later!

Sep 21, 2007 at 3:09 PM Post #14 of 15
Yes, indeed. AKG K701's need lots of current. From the same amp, you have to turn up a bit volume against 300 ohm HD580's to achieve the same loudness. However I don't undestand such appreciation for these headphones. Their trebles are one big fake, playing in another dimension than the rest of the bandwidth, sibilant, and falling into artifacts when complicated percussion appears. Not for hard rock for sure. Also, I'm half deaf after wearing them off for a couple of minutes. Their sound characteristic seems to me like adjusted to compesate work or age related hearing loss. That's probably why they are recommended mostly by people over 40.

Sep 21, 2007 at 4:13 PM Post #15 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by majkel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, indeed. AKG K701's need lots of current. From the same amp, you have to turn up a bit volume against 300 ohm HD580's to achieve the same loudness. However I don't undestand such appreciation for these headphones. Their trebles are one big fake, playing in another dimension than the rest of the bandwidth, sibilant, and falling into artifacts when complicated percussion appears. Not for hard rock for sure. Also, I'm half deaf after wearing them off for a couple of minutes. Their sound characteristic seems to me like adjusted to compesate work or age related hearing loss. That's probably why they are recommended mostly by people over 40.

I've seen that opinion before.
I think the 701 is sensitive to placement on the head. Mainly distance between membrane (is that the word?) and ear. Perhaps outer ear shape too.
And bad recordings and bad source equipment do not go well with the 701s.

Also, I think the relative lack of reflected sound makes them sound dry. But I don't have a lot of experience with other open designs -so it's just an idea for now. (This darn hobby is sure to make me buy other phones just so I can compare..)

I think they sound just right if the rest is just right. But they certainly aren't forgiving when something isn't quite right!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back