AKG K701 - Newer Model vs Older Model?
Sep 20, 2013 at 10:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

herpderp

New Head-Fier
Hey there, I'm relatively new to the K701 world and there's some speculation going around regarding the differences between the old model (Model #31XX and down) that was created before AKG was bought out.

The most note-worthy difference being the;

(MODEL #31XX-) (OLD AKG K701):

-aluminum rings
-the old "AKG" logo with the cardiod / flower
-a total number of seven bumps on the headband
-most stores usually use these earlier models for their promotional shots

(MODEL #31XX+) ("NEW" AKG K701):

-plastic rings
-the newer "AKG" logo just featuring the letters "AKG"
-a total number of eight bumps on the headband
-sound reminiscent of the K702 / Q701s

I'm not sure if there are any other variations of the K701s that exist (I've heard of ones made outside of Austria) however, we'll dismiss those for now. I'd like to know the differences between the sound (if any). If there's anyone on the forum that has first-hand experiences with the new and / or old K701s, I would very much appreciate your help in the matter. There really isn't too much information I could dig up regarding the sound except that the newer K701s are supposed to have a sound reminiscent of the K702 / Q701s, other than that I can't really say much else.

Finally, my question is, is there really a vast difference between the new and the old? From what I can tell, it's had mixed responses where people claim there is absolutely no difference and there are people who claim the exact opposite.

Sep 20, 2013 at 10:25 PM Post #2 of 4
  Hey there, I'm relatively new to the K701 world and there's some speculation going around regarding the differences between the old model (Model #31XX and down) that was created before AKG was bought out.

The most note-worthy difference being the;

I'm not sure if there are any other variations of the K701s that exist (I've heard of ones made outside of Austria) however, we'll dismiss those for now. I'd like to know the differences between the sound (if any). If there's anyone on the forum that has first-hand experiences with the new and / or old K701s, I would very much appreciate your help in the matter. There really isn't too much information I could dig up regarding the sound except that the newer K701s are supposed to have a sound reminiscent of the K702 / Q701s, other than that I can't really say much else.

Finally, my question is, is there really a vast difference between the new and the old? From what I can tell, it's had mixed responses where people claim there is absolutely no difference and there are people who claim the exact opposite.

Heya,

Owning the K701 & Q701, I don't really notice any real big difference between them. So I don't get why people think the Q701 has "more bass" and I certainly don't see how one has more sound stage than another, etc.

So frankly, I wouldn't buy any of the "exact opposite" responses, as that's way too polar for models that are nearly identical in audible terms, even if technically slightly different.

On that note, I like Q701 better for the sole reason that it has a detachable cable and just has a nicer look in black.

Is it possible that the "old" K701 and newer models sound different? Sure. Why not. But in a meaningful way? Probably not.

Very best,

Sep 20, 2013 at 10:35 PM Post #3 of 4
That pretty much sums up what I thought for a while however, I really want to believe (and actually do believe) that there is a mild variation between every AKG K/Q7XX model that has come out and I can see it being a possibility (I'm pretty inept when it comes to electronics).

However, while that helps the Q701 vs K701 debate, we need to solve the less-probable debate of the K701 (OLD) vs K701 (NEW), haha.

EDIT: By any chance, can you let me know how many bumps there are on your headphone and whether or not the insignia just says "AKG" or has the cardiod logo + "AKG" written under it?

Aug 23, 2014 at 1:58 AM Post #4 of 4
I have both new model k701s and the old model k701s with the old logo lower closer to the driver. They sound exactly the same.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back