AKG K701- big disappointment
Jan 21, 2010 at 9:36 AM Post #76 of 116
I know I will get bashed and fired back of what I will say but I think neither your amp or your source are the problem.I know from experiance that the amp makes big difference with the k701 but it is not night and day difference in my book.when amped the soundstage increases dramatically,bass become more powerful and well controlled,sound becomes more fuller.... But directly from my touch,the same characteristics of the k701 is apparent whether amped or not.what I mean is unamped,the soundstage is still huge,the bass is still punchy and goes deep,the vocals is still sibilant sometimes,details are insane..the amp makes a refinment to all these things and take it to another level,and the improvent maybe 40-45% IMHO,whether this is a big difference for you,I don't know you will have to decide,but for me they are definetly worth it.if you don't like the sound signature of the 701 now,I don't think you will like it amped.my advice is to hook them to your computer and let them play for a week and then hear them again,trust me burn in is very important for dynamic IEMs and headphones,and the difference IS NIGHT AND DAY.

Jan 21, 2010 at 10:03 AM Post #78 of 116
Quote:

Originally Posted by AmanGeorge /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Rayz, I personally think you should ditch the K701. Amp requirements aside, I don't think it's the right headphone for your choice in music. While the K701 is an outstanding classical headphone, it is merely decent with electronica and can be very unpleasant to listen to with rock and alternative. I agree that maybe a Grado would be worth a shot for you, and would be easier to drive. I'd also look into the Sennheiser 600 and 650. I have a hunch that even under perfect circumstances (fully burned-in K701, the right amp), the AKG will not sound great to your ears with the type of music you like.

What would you suggest for those genres then?

Jan 21, 2010 at 10:23 AM Post #79 of 116
Asus has marketed the STX so well. People really think it compares to $600+ dacs and has an AWESOME AMP in it.

It does neither of these things. Not even close. Someone should sticky this in the source section to sort this BS out so people stop wasting their money by pairing the STX with a phone that it cannot give any sort of justice to.

Jan 21, 2010 at 10:30 AM Post #81 of 116
Quote:

Originally Posted by Acix /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A lot of good testimonies here, and it's great to see the 701's love....but no one experience the Essence STX and the 701. The only one that I know had both is oqvist.

I had the STX and a k701. It didn't drive it very well at all. From memory, things weren't so detailed, one of the key things going for the k701. So I think we can conclude that the STX can't drive it at all.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 21, 2010 at 11:04 AM Post #82 of 116
Jan 21, 2010 at 1:51 PM Post #83 of 116
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rayz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
By the way, those who tried the K701 without amp- how the difference when It comes to detailing and soundstage?

Rayz, let me help you a little.
I had a review of my two cans, Grado SR60 and my new AKG K701.
It might help you.
Please click below.
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/gra...g-k701-463718/

Jan 21, 2010 at 3:30 PM Post #85 of 116
They'll do well with a powerful tube amp too, like a WA6 or WA2.
I suspect it was other factors that led to your somewhat less than spectacular impressions of them.

Jan 21, 2010 at 5:30 PM Post #86 of 116
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mato /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry for the mini thread hijack.

I'm really after something like the AKG K701s for classical chamber - they sound perfect. The thing is I listen to a lot of chart music as well, and only want to buy 1 pair of headphones (my budget is £215). I guess that counts as an 'all-rounder', but I would like it to excel at those two genres, especially the first.

Thanks in advance.

Have you listened to the K701? Or you're just going off impressions? You never know, you might like them for the rest of your music too. However, if you want something that's more of an all rounder, perhaps the K601 will suit you. The Sennheiser HD600 should be worth a look too.

Jan 21, 2010 at 5:35 PM Post #87 of 116
Quote:

Originally Posted by paulb09 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Have you listened to the K701? Or you're just going off impressions? You never know, you might like them for the rest of your music too. However, if you want something that's more of an all rounder, perhaps the K601 will suit you. The Sennheiser HD600 should be worth a look too.

IMHO,the k701 is only good for classical and jazz.

Jan 21, 2010 at 5:51 PM Post #89 of 116
Burn them in and get a Lil Dot Tube amp. The sound and detail is just incredible! my k701's have been paired to a Lil Dot III since I got them and all i can say is WOW!!!

the first 100 hours or so are needed for burnin tho.

Jan 21, 2010 at 6:05 PM Post #90 of 116
Quote:

Originally Posted by Redo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Whether or not the K701's are your thing, your sound card is obviously not coming close to driving them properly.

The EH150's are dark, unresolving, and have an incredibly collapsed sound stage (I own a pair). They only are better than the really cheap and bad headphones out there, but not by much. The K701's are polar opposites.

What you've been listening to will have a lot to do with what you'll appreciate or not appreciate in another pair of cans, especially if you're looking for a better version of what you're currently happy with. From your description of the EH150's, they seem to be VERY different from the K701's. If one is accustomed to and likes the EH150's, a radical departure from that signature will lead to a very strong response, either in the positive or the negative. It would seem that the response here is in the negative.

I'd personally give the K701's some more time to see if it's just an issue of learned appreciation or a growing dislike that existed from the start.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back