AKG K701- big disappointment
Jan 21, 2010 at 3:52 AM Post #61 of 116
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rayz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks.
smily_headphones1.gif

will the Canamp be good for this or should I look for other amp?

well there are many reports that it sounds good. yeh, to me when the 701s are amped properly they do sound pretty good.. but their level of comfort is another thing altogether.

Jan 21, 2010 at 4:22 AM Post #63 of 116
^ You are funny.

Quote:

Originally Posted by juniperlater /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just had a Little Dot II with my 701s and they were some of the best I have ever heard still.

But to elaborate: it is not optimal. It is just 'okay.'

Jan 21, 2010 at 4:34 AM Post #64 of 116
The canamp is an excellent match for the 701.

Jan 21, 2010 at 4:55 AM Post #65 of 116
As was mentioned earlier in this thread, the Headroom Micro Amp works very well with the 701. I also have to say that I enjoy the AKG with many genres of music. Including rock. When properly amped they are quite balanced to me. The extra power of a nice amp seems to give the lower mids and bass the oomph (a technical term
smily_headphones1.gif
) to smooth out the brightness you'd get from not having the right amp. Also, unless I've missed it in the thread! Make sure you're listening to lossless music. With the 701 almost more than anything its crap in/crap out. If you're listening to low bit mp3s you'll get poor quality sound.

Give the 701 a fighting chance and it may just surprise you

Ross

Jan 21, 2010 at 5:17 AM Post #66 of 116
Quote:

for those who recommended me the Canamp- I saw people here saying that the Canamp is not good enough for K701. or was it misleading...?

The Canamp seems like the popular vote here from what I've seen. I use the K702 with a Little Dot MK3 and it sounds good with more bass and a much fuller sound than unamped but I haven't tried the Canamp yet. I'll probably pick one up when I can find one used here to try it out.

Jan 21, 2010 at 5:24 AM Post #67 of 116
Thanks everyone, you helped me a lot. :)
Where can I get the Canamp for a good price? any ideas?
By the way, those who tried the K701 without amp- how the difference when It comes to detailing and soundstage?

baka1969, I'm everytime listening to loseless or almost loseless audio files, mp3 128b\r it's not something you can find in my playlist.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 21, 2010 at 7:19 AM Post #70 of 116
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rayz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks everyone, you helped me a lot. :)
Where can I get the Canamp for a good price? any ideas?
By the way, those who tried the K701 without amp- how the difference when It comes to detailing and soundstage?

baka1969, I'm everytime listening to loseless or almost loseless audio files, mp3 128b\r it's not something you can find in my playlist.
smily_headphones1.gif

I listened to the 701s without an amp for giggles one time and was completely dissapointed. Music was flat, no soundstage, weak and mushy bass.

Jan 21, 2010 at 8:19 AM Post #71 of 116
Rayz, keep an eye on the For Sale Forum for a good deal on an amp. I've seen a few links to a new $280 Dynalo being offered, but I don't know whethe it is a well made amp yet. Certainly it is worth considering and I hope it is good.

As for the soundcard... it has nominally more power than an iPod. Not a good match for a difficult to drive headphone. Unfortunately, that card got caught in a whirlwind of hype and possible shilling here. There were some comments abou this when the hype rolled in, but they mostly were drowned out. You can't believe everything you read here, unfortunately.

Also, the K-701 is a controversial headphone. I never managed to enjoy it, despite loving pretty much every other AKG I've listened to. I hear some real problems in the treble and so do others here. Again, a lot of these opinions get drowned out. When I look or a new product, I usually skip over the positive reviews and focus on those that dislike it. That is usually the fastest way to find out the shortcomings and problems with a pieceof gear. You always have to consider the possibility that you aren't going to like something, unfortunately.

logwed, tube amps that do well with low impedance, low sensitivity headphones are almost always transformer coupled. Tubes have a relatively high output impedance which comes across in an OTL. Transformers can dramatically lower output impedance to make it work. The only exception is the Zana Deux. The 6C33C is unique in having a very low output impedance. That makes the Zana very special - you get the benefits of OTL without the drawbacks. I think the 6C41C will do that, too, but there aren't any 6C41C amps on the market and I'm not aware of any DIY plans - though I wish there were some. The handful of Eddie Current Dual Mono 6C41C amps in existence sound spectacular.

Jan 21, 2010 at 9:16 AM Post #72 of 116
Sorry for the mini thread hijack.

I'm really after something like the AKG K701s for classical chamber - they sound perfect. The thing is I listen to a lot of chart music as well, and only want to buy 1 pair of headphones (my budget is £215). I guess that counts as an 'all-rounder', but I would like it to excel at those two genres, especially the first.

Thanks in advance.

Jan 21, 2010 at 9:30 AM Post #73 of 116
What is the technical reason that 'phones with an impedence rating of 62-ohm would need a powerful desk top to drive them? With that rating many DAPs should logically do the job, certainly a portable amp.

I see this claim made a lot about these 'phones, but haven't found a technical explanation.

Is there some science behind this?

Jan 21, 2010 at 9:31 AM Post #74 of 116
I am running my K702 from my NAD integrated amp and so far I think its doing a good job. I can hear plenty of detail and the bass is solid. The treble is also very good but not quite as silky as my K601 was. In the future I plan to buy a dedicated amp to see how much I can get out of them.

Drop Stay updated on Drop at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/drop https://twitter.com/drop https://www.massdrop.com/?clickid=3QR3Ib27lyA-VkBRJwyGuQJeUkhUQvX5r0tLzQ0&utm_term=252901&utm_content=VigLink&utm_medium=affiliate&utm_source=impactradius&irgwc=1
Jan 21, 2010 at 9:32 AM Post #75 of 116
The sensitivity of the drivers have a lot to do with this. It's not that cheaper amps cannot drive these to loud volumes, it's that they do not bring out enough detail etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back