AKG K701 after 1000 Hours - Final Review
Jul 18, 2006 at 3:54 AM Post #32 of 42
Nice review. However, you can't edit something that's final.
wink.gif

Jul 18, 2006 at 5:23 AM Post #33 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrea
Instead I'm entirely with Asr on this matter - and I think I understood what he meant to convey. (re: airiness being a bad thing)

You're an HD650 fan, why am I not surprised?
rolleyes.gif
tongue.gif

Jul 18, 2006 at 11:17 AM Post #34 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by fewtch
You're an HD650 fan, why am I not surprised?
rolleyes.gif
tongue.gif

Funny, I would have commented the same about you (if on the opposite side of the river).
rolleyes.gif
tongue.gif

Everyone has weaknesses for peculiar somethings (whether or not consciously), we're all fans even if more often than not we put on the sombre & objective mood ... we're just individuals, not Gods nor divine measurement systems
biggrin.gif

Note: 'airiness' isn't a bad thing at all, especially taken out from its whole context (I love the fresh mountain air
tongue.gif
)

Jul 19, 2006 at 2:27 AM Post #35 of 42
Great review! I've got a pair of dt880's(06), hd600's, and 701's that I'm trying to make up my mind about too. So far I've got about 350 hrs on the 880's, 550 hrs on the 701's and I've had the 600's for a number of years. Except for some jazz vocals, the 701's aren't getting put on as often as the 880's for classical ( mostly large works ). Did you find many changes with the addition of more hours on the 701 and 880's? I've been listening to them primarily on my eddie current ec01 which does a good job with all these but if the 880's win out over the 701's as it seems now, I'll be looking for an amp that fits them better ( the ec01 does nothing to help with siblience.I'm planning on getting an electrostatic rig so I'll probably sell the 701's, but, I wish they would give me just 2-3 more reasons to keep them.

Jul 19, 2006 at 5:55 AM Post #36 of 42
Funny we have the exact same trio of headphones.
wink.gif
(Though my HD600 is re-cabled.)

I found that the K701 settled down a while back, maybe a couple weeks ago. Its sound did seem to shift around the first couple months.

I haven't been listening to the DT880 in recent weeks, so its status is still at about 300-400 hours. I don't know if further burn-in will affect anything, but I'll find out. It's time to burn those headphones in, now that I'm done burning in the K701.
smily_headphones1.gif

Coincidentally enough the EC-01 is a tube amp upgrade I've been thinking about. Would you say it gives satisfying results with all three headphones? Is it versatile enough for the three?

Jul 19, 2006 at 11:03 AM Post #37 of 42
The EC01 is a poor match for the AKG 701. You'd want the EC/DC to correct it but then you're into the price range of amps that synergise much better with the AKG. The Mapletree Ear+HD or SinglePower SLAM varieties would mesh better. Reason being the AKG needs the same voltage as the Senn and Beyer but more current and a lower output impedance so as to not behave like a voltage divider.

Jul 20, 2006 at 1:09 AM Post #38 of 42
I've tried all three with several amps both tube and ss, and despite the numbers, the 701 doesn't seem to be a very picky can. I should admit that I'm a real tube fan and just looking around from my desk, I guess within eyeshot, there's about $16K worth of tube gear ( big and desk rigs). I would have to say that, from what I've tried, that all three cans are a good fit but not great with any of them, but, for $350, it does an excellent job. It is a very balanced amp with clear and fast sound. I can be a bit on the revealing side so, upstream components need to be good. I think, if I had never heard better gear (speakers/ headphone rigs) I would be satisfied with the sound with all 3.

Jul 20, 2006 at 1:49 AM Post #39 of 42
No doubt, just saying pairing 80ohm output impedance to a 62ohm headphone isn't for everyone
wink.gif
You'll get interesting results but poor control since the damping factor is err below 1
biggrin.gif

Jan 4, 2007 at 12:54 AM Post #41 of 42
I'm bumping this thread for only one reason: I reviewed this headphone again for StereoMojo.com, and that review is now up!

http://www.stereomojo.com/REVIEWS.htm#AKGK701

I'm pointing out my new review for StereoMojo for a couple reasons: (1) my hearing improved some since I wrote this Head-Fi review, (2) but more to the point, the StereoMojo review contains points and information (and even an entire section) that the Head-Fi one simply doesn't have. It's a bigger, and IMHO, much better review!

Jan 4, 2007 at 1:15 AM Post #42 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by Asr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm bumping this thread for only one reason: I reviewed this headphone again for StereoMojo.com, and that review is now up!

http://www.stereomojo.com/REVIEWS.htm#AKGK701

I'm pointing out my new review for StereoMojo for a couple reasons: (1) my hearing improved some since I wrote this Head-Fi review, (2) but more to the point, the StereoMojo review contains points and information that the Head-Fi one simply doesn't have. It's a bigger, and IMHO, much better review!

Your hearing improved???
blink.gif

Perhaps that's why the 501s were said "to have no mids" in your review of them:
wink.gif
allteeth:

Glad to hear you hearing has improved anyway
wink.gif

Joking aside, I did enjoy reading your StereoMojo review... Thank you much ;-}

Users who are viewing this thread

Back