AKG K601
Apr 26, 2008 at 1:11 AM Post #16 of 29
Sorry for the late reply, been caught up with uni lately. I guess I've similar idea as you trb36, thought maybe not as detail planned out. As i haven't the knowledge you have about all them requirement, etc..
I've been thinking about the DarkVoice FIGARO, thought not sure if i'll be needing DAC, etc..
Thanks again.

Max.

Apr 26, 2008 at 11:40 AM Post #17 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kaoru /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi Everyone~! First of all, my apologies if i somehow posted this in the wrong place or not having to read enough of what i should of read, etc.
To my help request though, i recently bought myself a set of AKG K601 and i realised afterward that i needed an amp to drive the thing -_-;;
It was bit of a jump for me from a Sony MDR-EX70 to the AKG, i've had a look around and did some searches but yet i've no idea what's best, etc..
I was looking in the components but got told to get tube amps instead?
Thanks in advance for any helps.

PS: Oops, forgot to mention; as of yet, please list whatever is recommended or just comments are welcome, as i want to see what are available and for comparison. Though i ain't rich so i guess i'll get the bottom to average prices?

I run my K601s out of an Original Electronics Master solidstate headphone amp. Seperate (heavy duty) power supply to keep the signal from being corrupted. Plus it's inexpensive - around $200 US. I really like the sound, though as a tube fan I can see where tubes would be attractive. But durabilty and price were big considerations for me. For a better description, click the link:

SoundStage! "All In Your Head" Back-Issue Article (5/2006)

You could also look at the Stello at April Music

Good luck.

Apr 26, 2008 at 12:32 PM Post #18 of 29
I'm fond of outboard dacs/soundcards due to the noise reduction (unless your computer has pretty good sound hardware and shielding).

I used a k601 out of an emu 0404 usb for a good while and I liked it, particularly because you can connect 2 or 3 sources to it if you wish and it mixes them. The output is more than fine as long as you are sure to turn up the monitor input slider if you use the toslink input - no worries if you use USB.

Apr 27, 2008 at 9:54 AM Post #19 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by JMCIII /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I run my K601s out of an Original Electronics Master solidstate headphone amp. Seperate (heavy duty) power supply to keep the signal from being corrupted. Plus it's inexpensive - around $200 US. I really like the sound, though as a tube fan I can see where tubes would be attractive. But durabilty and price were big considerations for me.

As i mention in my previous reply, the DarkVoice FIGARO seem to be a fairly good beginner tubed amp and it's under $200USD at ebay as well.
Put the DarkVoice FIGARO for instance, when you said durability and price; what might they be?

Apr 27, 2008 at 12:31 PM Post #20 of 29
I personally use it with the CKKIII. Bass impact has improved (more impact, and tighter), and so as seperation. Makes the entire sound cleaner in that sense.

CKKIII is also cheaper than the Gilmore Lite/GS-1, and yet is a high-quality amp (in my opinion), though it has to be DIYed (or rockhopper audio could do something for you).

Apr 27, 2008 at 2:40 PM Post #21 of 29
out of the amp i tried. i really like it with yarland p100. even better than darkvoice 337. i've read it cost about 350 us dollars but i got this long time ago and it cost under 1000 hk(1us = 7.8hk), closer to 800 hk

Apr 28, 2008 at 10:27 PM Post #24 of 29
I too have a question regarding the K601: is it generally easier to amplify than her sisters 501 and 701 - especially by an OTL tube amp - because of it's higher (double) impedance of 120 ohms ?

And separately: does the lower sensitivity make it more difficult to drive than a similar phone with higher sensitivity - or does that only mean the volume will be lower at same power, without the sound quality affected ? (This assuming the amp is well below clipping/distorting level)

May 1, 2008 at 7:38 AM Post #25 of 29
Quote:

Well, had a read at FIGARO 1 & FIGARO 2 bits, and it certainly has tickled my fancy~

The 120v versions aren't available yet, so if you're living in the US, Canada, etc, you're out of luck.

May 1, 2008 at 8:35 AM Post #27 of 29
Quote:

I was looking in the components but got told to get tube amps instead?

I think the prevailing feeling is that the K601 benefits most from solid state amplification. I intend to use mine with a Gilmore Lite + DPS. You can find a some very informative comments on the subject of amplification for the K601 here.

May 1, 2008 at 10:09 PM Post #28 of 29
Quote:

Put the DarkVoice FIGARO for instance, when you said durability and price; what might they be?

Well, if you read the Soundstage review you'll understand why I'm so taken with the Original Electronics Master. It's slight added omph in the bass compliments the K601s to perfection.

As for durability, no tubes to go bad and need replacing, no hassling around with opening the case up to replace said tubes. And no cost in tube replacement - ever - with solidstate. The Master is about as close to plug-n-play as you can get. Plus it looks (and sounds) more expensive than it is, so there's the price difference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back