AKG K551 vs Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80ohm
Jul 3, 2013 at 5:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Robbo

New Head-Fier
Hello Head-Fi!

I am currently looking for a new pair of headphones to replace my PC headset, the Sennheiser PC350's. I don't need a microphone so this isn't really a consideration, and have opted to go for headphones not a headset.

I've narrowed it down to the 2 pairs of headphones in the thread title, the AKG K551's and the Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80ohm. These are both the same price (where I'm getting them from) so I just need to decide on one.

The issue is - I can't. I really like both of them for different reasons, they'll be used for general use, gaming/movies/music, etc. My sound card is this, and has 6.3mm jacks so the Beyers would fit in without the need for an extra cable/adapter, but the cables aren't expensive so it's not a great issue.

What would you go for and why?

Jul 3, 2013 at 8:10 PM Post #2 of 4
I would say to upgrade the sound card for something with a true headphone amplifier and get the AKG K551.
(or at least get a headphone amplifier to plug into the Asus Xonar Xense, like the PAV2V amp).
The DT770 Pro 80-Ohm is a very decent headphone for doing anything (and lots of full bass), but I'm going to guess(?) the K551 beats the DT770 Pro 80-Ohm in most areas.

Jul 4, 2013 at 4:26 AM Post #4 of 4
Thanks guys. It's a strange one, people seem to like the DT770 yet actually think the K551/550's are better.

Originally I wanted the AKG's as I prefer the design of them and I've heard good things, but reading about the DT's just kept me in two minds.

I'm certainly not crazy about bass so I doubt I'd find that to be an issue if it is indeed slightly lacking on the K551's.

Hmm.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back