AKG K551 dissapointment/blown?
Sep 3, 2018 at 12:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Djent

New Head-Fier
Hiii there guyzse!
I recently bought a used pair of AKG K551 dirt cheap because the pads were broken.
When i received the package at the post office i immediately tried them with my Samsung s7 while walking home.
First impression was; are they blown?? There's NO bass! And the treble is so bright it feels like im listening to a cellphone speaker on max volume.

I later tested with my phone hooked up to my Fiio e11 (with bass mode on max, the samsung tube simulation turned on and also i turned down 4-16k slightly) and it now sounds pretty good... BUT there's a lot more bass in the left can (where the cable connects) than the right one. The right pad is also the most damaged one.
Once I came home i tried them in my home studio with a Scandinavian amp called Argon HA1 running through my DAC/Soundcard Focusrite 18i8. Sound was a little better, but the bass is still low to my tastes, and also still more in the left ear. Im a metal/dubstep producer, so i listen to a lot of bass heavy genres. My favourite headphones are HD700 and i also have a pair of DT880 250ohm and PXC550.

My question then; is the right speaker blown or is it maybe the pad or cable?

I've ordered new pads and they will arrive during the week.
I study music technology, so im pretty sure i can repair the cable or maybe swap it with a detachable one.
Appreciating all recommendations and help!
Thanks

Sep 4, 2018 at 12:52 PM Post #2 of 7
Once pads wear that brings the drivers closer to the ear which reduces the volume of air, which in turn reduces the bass quantity and can also affect the midrange (but not the treble). It may be lack of use or a faulty cable and although drivers can fail or distort they don't very often. New pads will also improve the (presumably) big soundstage that AKG are renowned for.

Sep 5, 2018 at 6:45 AM Post #4 of 7
Thank you guys! I have ear plugs/tunnes and pretty big ears... But i will replace the pads and see what happens, then maybe do some more mods if im not happy.

Sep 5, 2018 at 2:47 PM Post #5 of 7
Okay, so i just changed the pads which improved soundquality by a long shot!
I still feel theres slightly more sound to the left, but it might be placebo. Ive tested back and forth with my HD700s.
Im going to try to get them measured soon to see what actually happens in them.

Sep 6, 2018 at 1:24 PM Post #6 of 7
Had the same issue on Samson SR950. Their pads were too solid and too little space inside so that asymmetry of my skull made left channel sound louder. Naaasty feeling.

Sep 17, 2018 at 9:42 AM Post #7 of 7
Had the same issue on Samson SR950. Their pads were too solid and too little space inside so that asymmetry of my skull made left channel sound louder. Naaasty feeling.
Yes i have the same issue..

So for a few weeks with new pads im still feeling the off-balance.
Is there a way to maybe get bigger / more covering pads? I want to improve the passive noise-cancelling.
I've just seen this video on the subject. Kinda what im going for i guess.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back