AKG K550 vs Koss pro dj 100 / 200
Nov 7, 2013 at 10:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

impressimars

New Head-Fier
 Hello, still looking into more "possible" to buy headphones.  I came across the AKG K550 while looking for reviews of the headphones and to what headphones I can compare since the only decent headphone carrying store only has headphones the like of the low end Sennheisers and the Shure's, the Koss came up; I currently have the Koss pro dj 100, a pair of Phillips O'Neill 'TheStrech" and some Grado SR80i. In the review of the AKG K550 it said the sound was improved over the Koss but not worth enough for the price difference. Anyone have both sets or had both sets and can remember whether they do sound alike? 

Not sure if I made this a little confusing, thanks in advance to anyone who answers ! :D

Nov 7, 2013 at 1:53 PM Post #2 of 15
The AKG's are quite nice but they have less bass than the Koss Pro DJ100. In my opinion the DJ100 is much better but only with the M50 pads. I tried the Philips Fidelio X1 and they sounded GREAT, similiar but more like it's big brother. Larger soundstage, more bass warmth and much smoother. I think the X1 solves all of the DJ100 weaknesses. As much as I loved the X1 it's still wasn't worth the extra money to me. 

Nov 7, 2013 at 1:54 PM Post #3 of 15
The AKG's are quite nice but they have less bass than the Koss Pro DJ100. In my opinion the DJ100 is much better but only with the M50 pads. I tried the Philips Fidelio X1 and they sounded GREAT, similiar but more like it's big brother. Larger soundstage, more bass warmth and much smoother. I think the X1 solves all of the DJ100 weaknesses. As much as I loved the X1 it's still wasn't worth the extra money to me. 

Nov 7, 2013 at 11:04 PM Post #4 of 15
That's terrible news considering the AKG is roughly 4 times the cost of what I paid for my Koss and the X1 just a little out of my budget at the moment! Guess I'm back to my original choices of the HD598, the SR325I and the DT88

Nov 8, 2013 at 11:38 AM Post #5 of 15
My goto headphones are AKG K550 and Grado SR225i. The AKG K550 are an excellent headphone for the price. As with any headphone, it's a matter of listener preference. Just because one reviewer doesn't like them doesn't mean you won't either. In fact, you have to learn not to put too much stock into what one person says but rather read LOTS about a given headphone.

Incidentally, I returned the DT880, so obviously I think the AKG K550 is better for me, but that doesn't mean you won't like the DT880 better.

Nov 8, 2013 at 11:40 AM Post #6 of 15
Oh, and here's a well-respected and well-known professional headphone reviewer who liked the AKG K550s: http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/wonderfully-competent-akg-k550-sealed-headphone

Not trying to sell you on these, just don't listen to what one or two random people around the Internet say when it comes to any headphone.

Nov 8, 2013 at 11:54 AM Post #7 of 15
Oh, and here's a well-respected and well-known professional headphone reviewer who liked the AKG K550s: http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/wonderfully-competent-akg-k550-sealed-headphone

Not trying to sell you on these, just don't listen to what one or two random people around the Internet say when it comes to any headphone.

I actually gave this article a read :) However, the problem I'm having is that a few people comment that the AKG is only a gradual improvement to my koss so I'm not sure whether taking the plunge on these are worth it :) So I'm trying to get a little more feedback from people who possibly have both :D And I understand, I'd be a little wary of making a whole decision based on one persons opinion, but the feedback has just been usually the same when I find some that compares the two.

Nov 8, 2013 at 12:33 PM Post #8 of 15
I also have the SR80i at home. For me, many different headphones out there that I have tried in the $175-200 range are not big improvements over them. But it's because of what I'm looking for in sound signature.

The way to approach this instead would be what do you want to specifically change/improve over your Koss, and then look for headphones that will do that in your budget range. So, for example, the AKG K550 are well known for having one of the biggest soundstages for a closed headphone. However, if you want a big soundstage and don't require a closed headphone, then open headphones are the way to go.

So what particularly do you want to improve? More bass? Better clarity? Better detail? Bigger soundstage? Figure that out and then focus.

Nov 8, 2013 at 12:52 PM Post #9 of 15
I also have the SR80i at home. For me, many different headphones out there that I have tried in the $175-200 range are not big improvements over them. But it's because of what I'm looking for in sound signature.

The way to approach this instead would be what do you want to specifically change/improve over your Koss, and then look for headphones that will do that in your budget range. So, for example, the AKG K550 are well known for having one of the biggest soundstages for a closed headphone. However, if you want a big soundstage and don't require a closed headphone, then open headphones are the way to go.

So what particularly do you want to improve? More bass? Better clarity? Better detail? Bigger soundstage? Figure that out and then focus.

Wow, that's a really good way to looking at it. To me the Koss are already as perfect as you can get along with the Grados so I was looking on getting a pair of headphones with a bigger soundstage and a more relaxed feel to it. Basically I don't want it to sound like it's in my head all the time, I've heard the HD598 could fit that and from hearing the lower end Sennheiser I figured that's the sound I was looking for. However, I was holding on to possibly getting the AKG K550 if it was going to be a major improvement over the Koss and just give the Koss to my little brother, but since so far it appears it isn't I might just go back to my original though of getting a pair of relaxed headphones with great soundstage. 

Nov 8, 2013 at 1:00 PM Post #10 of 15
The K550s do have a big sound stage compared to other closed headphones. That's why I like them over my SR225i and the SR80i. That, and they have better bass extension. Sometimes I prefer to wear closed headphones for isolation. But I do think the SR225i and SR80i have a better sound stage.

Did you know that if you change out the pads on the SR80i for the ones on the SR225i, you'll get about 80% of the way to the SR225i sound? The SR325i are considered brighter than the SR225i I have--I suspect that's due to the metal cups--but some people like the SR225i better (which is why I went with them because I didn't feel I needed a lot more treble emphasis).

So why not get the L-Cush pads for your SR80i since that's a $20 upgrade instead of thinking about new Grados and then try something else for your new headphones?

I did like the DT880s, and they are different in sound from the Grados--more analytical, more neutral accept for also some treble emphasis (different kind of brightness than my Grados), and better bass extension down into the sub bass regions. If you wouldn't mind a little more bass than the DT880, the DT990 Pro 250 ohm are only $153 on Amazon at the moment. For their price, I'd look into them.

Nov 8, 2013 at 10:20 PM Post #11 of 15
Have you got an amp for the DJ100 and the M50 pads ? as it sounds so much better with an amp, They provide an improvement worth spending. I use the PA2V2 which sounds great with the DJ100. I've heard headphones that are better than the DJ100 but they usually cost at least £150 - £300 plus. It's fun trying to find something better but in the end I came to the conclusion that the additional cost does match the improvement is sound. 

Nov 10, 2013 at 11:05 AM Post #12 of 15
I'm sorry I hand't been able to answer back. Have been busy these past few days. I have looked into pads and actually ended up borrowing a pair of pads from a friend to test out the difference. To me it was a mild change. Nothing to be blown away by but worth the money regardless.  As for the Beyerdynamic, damn! I sadly can't afford to get them this week as I have a big expense that's coming the 18th so I can't get them till the week after that. I really hope they're still that cheap than I will buy them along with an amp as 250ohm? Why so high? lol 

As for the koss dj100 with m50 pads, it was just ok to me. They were much comfortable then the stock pads but I don't know, I just prefer the stock ones for some reason :/ The amp you recommend me, is it pretty good? I haven't needed an amp so far so have not bought one. Could it possibly improve sound a lot, as I mean it is a 32ohm headphone?

Nov 10, 2013 at 11:35 AM Post #13 of 15
If you are going after the DT990 Pro 250 ohms, get the headphones first, then worry about the amp if money is an issue. You can still use them without an amp; they'll just sound much better with one.

If you check this page on camelcamelcamel, you'll see the price dropped down to this point in October. Probably OK for another week or so, but I wouldn't wait too much longer in case the price jumps way back up again.

Nov 10, 2013 at 12:53 PM Post #14 of 15
I know what you mean about the stock pads they have a warmer sound to the M50 pads. I prefer the sound too but stock pads were just a little to uncomfortable. You can try putting some sponge or tissue paper inside and under the pads to provide more space for your ears, which improves the sound and comfort a little. I've not been listening to headphones to long but one thing I've learn't is that when your ears aren't used to listening for the differences every alteration seems minimal. Even on the expensive headphones the improvements seem minimal, nothing has blown me away. The improvement is not massive but it's pretty good. The PA2V2 amp is definitely an improvement worth spending money on. http://www.headfonia.com/electric-avenues-pa2v2/.  What are you using as your source ? the better the source the less of an improvement the amp will provide. With my mobile phone and laptop the PA2V2's improvement is much greater than with my ipod 4gen. If I ever have a question I always message tdockweiler as he is very helpful and knowledgable. I actually bought the DJ100 on his recommendation but he's not tried the PA2V2 amp as far as I know.

Nov 10, 2013 at 1:15 PM Post #15 of 15
  I know what you mean about the stock pads they have a warmer sound to the M50 pads. I prefer the sound too but stock pads were just a little to uncomfortable. You can try putting some sponge or tissue paper inside and under the pads to provide more space for your ears, which improves the sound and comfort a little. I've not been listening to headphones to long but one thing I've learn't is that when your ears aren't used to listening for the differences every alteration seems minimal. Even on the expensive headphones the improvements seem minimal, nothing has blown me away. The improvement is not massive but it's pretty good. The PA2V2 amp is definitely an improvement worth spending money on. http://www.headfonia.com/electric-avenues-pa2v2/.  What are you using as your source ? the better the source the less of an improvement the amp will provide. With my mobile phone and laptop the PA2V2's improvement is much greater than with my ipod 4gen. If I ever have a question I always message tdockweiler as he is very helpful and knowledgable. I actually bought the DJ100 on his recommendation but he's not tried the PA2V2 amp as far as I know.

I'll try doing that to the pads see if it helps! At the moment my sources are my laptop running foobar2000 and playing back some MFSL Ultradisc Files in FLAC format and a Nokia Lumia 521 same files but in 320kbs CBR MP3.  I'll give that article a read and maybe consider buying the amp or research my choices!  Might definately message tdockweiler if I seem to have found something that I have no idea how good it is and can't find it or just ask for his opinion of the product :) Thanks for all the info!

If you are going after the DT990 Pro 250 ohms, get the headphones first, then worry about the amp if money is an issue. You can still use them without an amp; they'll just sound much better with one.

If you check this page on camelcamelcamel, you'll see the price dropped down to this point in October. Probably OK for another week or so, but I wouldn't wait too much longer in case the price jumps way back up again.

I'll try to get them next Saturday if I can but most likely won't be able to. But if I can hurray! :D Really hope I can get it as it does seem like a bargain buy. Thanks for letting me know!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back