AKG K550 v AKG 551 v Sennheiser Momentum
May 1, 2014 at 3:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

TheSitarHero

New Head-Fier
Hi,

I've been doing some research for my first pair of quality over-ear headphones. My budget is up to £300, but obviously the cheaper the better. I'm pretty sure I want closed back, but I've read that the sound from open-back headphones tends to be better. Because of this I was drawn towards the AKG K550s which seem to have good reviews, and the detail and soundstage they appear to offer is very much a part of what I'm looking for. [EDIT: btw, I've read that the fit can be a bit iffy, so hopefully I'll be able to try these on next week before I buy, but these may be the only pair that I'll be able to do this with.]

The AKG 551s seem to be to all intents and purposes the same as the AKG K550s except they're more portable. Is this true, and if so would it be worth getting these instead? I've found them cheaper.

I've also seen the Sennheiser Momentum. These are a lot more expensive, and nearer the top end of my budget, but I haven't really seen a bad word about them. But do they offer the same type of sound as what I've asked for? 

My listening reqs are mostly indie rock (REM, Bombay Bicycle Club), hard rock (Nirvana, QOTSA) and some classical and metal (Metallica mainly). My source will be an iPhone 4S/MacBook Air (2011 13"). My current headphones are the standard iPhone headphones, I used to have some Sennheiser CX 300 II but they broke, and I occasionally use my brother's Sennheiser HD 215s, though I find them a little overwhelming.

Any other suggestions welcome!

May 2, 2014 at 2:44 PM Post #2 of 2
551 has buildin ipod controls and 550 doesnt. the rest are the same.
Ignore first part,..you use apple gear. Secondly do you want to control it via your cable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back