AKG K550 or HE-400. WHAT WOULD YOU CHOOSE?
May 8, 2012 at 2:41 PM Post #16 of 20
Hey, new poster here, long time lurker.

I actually just received my K550s yesterday. They're good headphones, but I prefer my Beyer DT880 600Ohm's. Granted my Beyer's are semi-open headphones while these are closed, so it's not an entirely fair comparison. However, sound wise, they remind me of my DT880s, but not quite as engrossing and the sound feels thinner. Bass is a bit better compared to my DT880s. The sound isolation is pretty decent, which I like. Also the fact that they're easy to drive is nice too.

May 8, 2012 at 2:57 PM Post #17 of 20
Quote:
Hey, new poster here, long time lurker.

I actually just received my K550s yesterday. They're good headphones, but I prefer my Beyer DT880 600Ohm's. Granted my Beyer's are semi-open headphones while these are closed, so it's not an entirely fair comparison. However, sound wise, they remind me of my DT880s, but not quite as engrossing and the sound feels thinner. Bass doesn't seem much better compared to my DT880s either. The sound isolation is pretty decent, which I like. Also the fact that they're easy to drive is nice too.

Well hello! Great first post.

In fact, now I'm pretty sure the K550 wouldn't be up my alley. I found the DT880 to be far too thin and dry, and lacked the midrange I was looking for. So by what you say regarding the K550 being even thinner sounding than the DT880, is probably enough to keep me away from the K550. But I have come across many users that make the K550 vs DT880 comparison, stating they sound very similar. In that case, no go for me.

May 8, 2012 at 9:02 PM Post #18 of 20
Quote:

Well hello! Great first post.

In fact, now I'm pretty sure the K550 wouldn't be up my alley. I found the DT880 to be far too thin and dry, and lacked the midrange I was looking for. So by what you say regarding the K550 being even thinner sounding than the DT880, is probably enough to keep me away from the K550. But I have come across many users that make the K550 vs DT880 comparison, stating they sound very similar. In that case, no go for me.

Yeah, I was rather surprised at the similarity between the two. I will say the K550s are damn comfortable, in my opinion.

May 9, 2012 at 1:26 AM Post #19 of 20
im leaning towards the He-400 after reading tons of reviews...It looks like the mids and bass is overall better compared to the AKG K550 from what I've been reading.

May 9, 2012 at 7:46 AM Post #20 of 20
The K550 is a portable headphone. It's sealed design to isolate you from outside noise. It's easier to drive than HE-400. The cups turn flat for portability. Also K550 simply looks good on your head.

The HE-400 are for home use only. Because they lack the above things (they are open headphones, bulky design, need little bit amping..).

So if you ask me they are not fighting in the same category.

If you want home only headphones get the HE-400. If you want home + portability, get the K550.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back