AKG K550 or Bose?
Apr 5, 2012 at 1:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

cfin

New Head-Fier
I'm looking for closed back headphones and am deciding between the AKG K550 and the Bose noise cancelling headphones. I listen to music mostly in dorm settings or in loud cafes, so the closed design is appealing to me. The music I tend to listen to most are ambient, electronic, and classical.  I would like headphones that eliminate outside sounds as much as possible. 

Recommendations or thoughts? (This will be my first pair of headphones that aren't the ones that come with the Ipod/ iphone) 

Thanks! 

Apr 5, 2012 at 1:16 PM Post #2 of 15

Quote:
I'm looking for closed back headphones and am deciding between the AKG K550 and the Bose noise cancelling headphones. I listen to music mostly in dorm settings or in loud cafes, so the closed design is appealing to me. The music I tend to listen to most are ambient, electronic, and classical.  I would like headphones that eliminate outside sounds as much as possible. 

Recommendations or thoughts? (This will be my first pair of headphones that aren't the ones that come with the Ipod/ iphone) 

Thanks! 

K550 for sure.

Very best,

Apr 5, 2012 at 2:45 PM Post #5 of 15
Unless you absolutely need active noise cancelling (which doesn't seem the case) the K550 is way better in sound quality imo. Also know what active noise cancelling can do, it's not some miracle that can make all outside sounds disappear.

Apr 16, 2012 at 3:19 AM Post #6 of 15
If you are looking for good noise canceling I heard the klipsch mode 40 is pretty good, and will probably sound much better than bose.  I haven't heard them personally as I opted with the akg k550 and am very happy to do so.  one thing to remember though is sound isolation is going to always be better than noise canceling.  

Apr 17, 2012 at 10:28 PM Post #8 of 15
Definitely the k550. I just got through my first weekend with them. They blocked out both my roommate's horribly annoying girlfriend perfectly and hardly leaked any sound apparently. Plus, the sound quality is way above what you'd get with the bose. 

Apr 26, 2012 at 3:52 AM Post #9 of 15
I have to agree with you on that one.  They do a very good job keeping sound out especially when listening to music.  They do leak a little bit of sound, but not enough to make my wife nag at me.  

Jun 10, 2012 at 12:50 AM Post #10 of 15
vote for K550 for wide range of genres.  Premium quality electrostats-like sound ... with BASS!
Bose noise cancelling on best for noise cancelling & bass heavy music, SQ considered as low-fi. You won't get premium audiophile-quality from it.

Jun 10, 2012 at 2:29 AM Post #12 of 15
Quote:
I have heard the Bose, and i own the K555s, the Bose definitly block more outside noise out and leak sound less than the K555, but the K555s sound quit a bit better.

HD555 ? what is K555 anyway?
SQ wise, Sennheiser HD555 will sound much much better than BOSE QC . 
I heard Philips Fidelio L1 also got nice credit, semi-open type

Jun 10, 2012 at 3:04 AM Post #14 of 15
K550 had passive noise supression compared to electronic, hence the sound quality wont degrade. SQ wise K550 is on different league than Bose. Definitely no competition here. if you want electronic noise cancellation you can go to Audio Technica AT-ANC7 or AKG K495NC

Users who are viewing this thread

Back