AKG K501 to K701 - worthy upgrade?
Feb 4, 2007 at 2:49 AM Post #2 of 52
Um, no. I'll get out my Nomex suit and say that I think the K-501 sounds better than the K-701. Of course, that's to my ears. The bass on the K-701 is about the same as the K-501, yet the K-501 sounds much more natural across the rest of the spectrum. It's not the K-1000, but it has the same sound signature and unbelievably great mids. The K-701 is... lacking.

Alright, I haven't fully burned them in yet, but so far, the K-701 has been a disappointment in comparison to a less expensive, older AKG. I'll keep listening, but unless something changes, I'll turn them around for something else.

The K-501 is a great headphone and worth keeping. If you're itching for something different, get a Grado. Very different and very good.

Feb 4, 2007 at 2:55 AM Post #4 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by cotdt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think you're in the minority Uncle Eric. I find the bass on the K701s to be far superior over the K501s.

I know, and I'm sure I'll get pummeled for saying that. But the K-501 just sounds more "real" across the board to me.

Feb 4, 2007 at 2:57 AM Post #5 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by krele /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have AKG501 and I was thinking about burning some cash for K701. If anybody went the same path, I would like to hear if it was worth it.

Not worth it unless you want to ruin the sound of cymbals, exaggerate sibilance, and lose important tonal information on most instruments.

I actually like the K701 over the K501 due to certain preferences, but I would say that the K501 is actually a better headphone overall due to it having less problems. The main thing I don't like about the K501 is that I find its head-stage to be too big for a lot of tracks. It seems to force its "distant" sound on every recording.

Feb 4, 2007 at 3:10 AM Post #7 of 52
Woah, where are these K501 pushers coming from? In most other threads, most people preferred the K701 by a wide margin.

But I'm glad, since this helps me avoid getting bitten by the upgraditis bug. Fitz has piqued my interest towards the different versions of K501, though...
redface.gif

Feb 4, 2007 at 3:18 AM Post #8 of 52
The K701 has more detail than the K501, but the 501 is more natural, flat, and easier on the ears. Its sound signature is closer to that K1000 than any other AKG phone.

Feb 4, 2007 at 3:23 AM Post #9 of 52
There are going to be lots of people that prefer the K501, as well as the opposite way around. The K501 is pretty respected for a reason as it does what it does so well.

I think the progression of K501 to K601 to K701 is definitely the way to go in terms of overall sound quality, and I'm pretty sure that's what AKG also intended. But hey, what do we know?
wink.gif

But seriously, the K501 works very well for some kinds of music, but the K701 is a lot more versatile. That's enough reason for me to recommend them if you find the K501's presentation a bit too limited.

Feb 4, 2007 at 3:26 AM Post #10 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by warpdriver /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think the progression of K501 to K601 to K701 is definitely the way to go in terms of overall sound quality, and I'm pretty sure that's the way AKG also intended. But hey, what do we know?
wink.gif

When AKG introduced the K601 and K701, their main goal was the address the problems they thought K501 had. They added a bit of bass and a bit more detail. However, this ended up changing the sound signature and people who enjoyed the K501 sound didn't necessarily like the new K601 or K701 sound. This, in essence, set the K501 aside in a headphone category of its own, and as a result not a lot of people upgrade from the K501 to the K601 or K701.

Feb 4, 2007 at 3:29 AM Post #11 of 52
you guys are making it more difficult for the thread starter to come to a decision. in the spirit of head-fi, we should make it easy for him to decide by telling him to just buy it.

Feb 4, 2007 at 3:32 AM Post #12 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by cotdt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
you guys are making it more difficult for the thread starter to come to a decision. in the spirit of head-fi, we should make it easy for him to decide by telling him to just buy it.

Dude, just leave.

Feb 4, 2007 at 3:33 AM Post #13 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by ferraro25 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The main thing I don't like about the K501 is that I find its head-stage to be too big for a lot of tracks. It seems to force its "distant" sound on every recording.

This was my biggest complaint. Other than the unnatural distance (and consequently poor placement/unrealistic soundstage, IMO), I felt the 501 had a lot to offer.

Feb 4, 2007 at 3:48 AM Post #14 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mrvile /img/forum/go_quote.gif
However, this ended up changing the sound signature and people who enjoyed the K501 sound didn't necessarily like the new K601 or K701 sound.

The K501 will always be unique for its sound signature, and for that matter, it can't really be improved on in the minds of K501 fanboys. But of course, for people like me that think the K501 has shortcomings, the K601/701 are a welcome change. AKG seemed to design the K601/701 to be true reference design meaning it can do justice to almost all types of music. The K501 was much less versatile in that regard.

I guess there is no way to predict if you will like the K501's better or worse unless you are very specific about what you DO and DON'T like about the K501's.

Feb 4, 2007 at 3:53 AM Post #15 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by ferraro25 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The main thing I don't like about the K501 is that I find its head-stage to be too big for a lot of tracks. It seems to force its "distant" sound on every recording.

Same here. Distant and thin. Took me a while to grasp this, then I sold 'em.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back