AKG K501: revolution and revelation!!!
Mar 15, 2005 at 2:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 75

amartignano

1000+ Head-Fier
Italy - Knife Edge in other forums in the world
Hi everyone,

I want to share with the forum my last headphones experiences. I bought an AKG K501 at a very great price (159 eur) on ebay. Recently I had a little "revolution" in my headphone listening, aroused from the little AKG K141S. I discovered that I prefer to listen to the K141S instead that to the Sennheiser HD650, also if I know that the HD650 were way better in audiophile terms. I asked myself... why? At firts I thought about the warm sound of the K141, that I like a lot, but then I realized that was something else. With the K141S i was feeling to be very close to the Music and its emotions dued to a particular easy flow of the sound, specially in voices and medium frequencies. An easy flow that the HD650 simply don't have. I sold my HD650 and bought the K501, confident in buying an headphone with the same fluidity of the sound but with an overall better audiophile presentation respect of the K141S.

Ta-dah... (image not mine)...

k501.jpg

Well, how do they sound?

A tad strange and very fascinating and revealing. They are headphones that requires time to be appreciated, their sound signature is particular and at first can not be appreciated from everyone. You feel a lack of bass, but with the time you realize that there's more than what it seems. It's a burn-in process, where 30% is driver moving and 70% re-equalize the brain. Then arrive the "revelation"...
biggrin.gif

At first, sound balance: there's a particular attention to the mids and mid-highs and so on, with a less highlighting of the bass frequencies, but the bass behaviour it's not so simple to express. They want "warm" source and amplification, better if they not "edge" the sounds too much. So I preferred (surprisingly!) my integrated amp to the Rudistor Rp3 (but ONLY in this case). The particular "easy flow" of the medium frequencies is here also with the K501, it's an AKG signature. The mids are warm, liquid, harmonic and "materic" (?!?), where the HD650 presents a sort of discontinuity. The highs are extende and present, sometimes a little too much, but they are not edgy, never. The bass is a little strange. It's warm and rounded enough, it's present enough but it lacks a bit of extension in the first octave and sometime it does not "slam" enough with some particular tracks. Sometimes rock it's a bit too "polite", still enjoyable. But this bass and mid-bass is tight, fast, and does not disturb, never, the mids. This is very good. It's a strange bass from an headphones: it seems to come from far, in the room, instead of your head. Sometimes this is frightening (in a good way...
smily_headphones1.gif
).

But there's a strong point that make this headphones different from the others.

It's the sensation of the flow of the sound in the moving air, which I don't heard in the HD650 or Rs-1 (but I heard this in the OMEGAII ). The sound is localized like other headphones, in the head, or around, ok, not far away, but the sound reaches the ears in a so particular and pleasant way, that it's similar to the sound of a speaker or a real instrument. For this time the slogan ("Concert hall headphones", "Totally Open") it's true, not only for commercial purpose. The behaviour with classical music is astonishing (better if there is not too much instruments, sometimes the Mahler Symphonies sound a little too light...).

With acoustic instruments and voices they are simply terrific. I was surprised from the sound in the Galway duo "Music for my friends", piano and flute. The flute was terrific, realistic (I play and listen to it, so I can say this), so the piano, and the two instruments have a very proportioned dimensions, coming from the room of the recording. VEEERY good!!! Pure emotion.

Spectacular also with the Madredeus, a little bit less with the U2, for example, well... if I want to listen to Chemical Brothers probably... I will wait for the K240S because I want in this particular case a bit more weight in the bass region.

But however it's a fantastic headphone, neutral (except for a somewhat "shy" bass), but very fascinating and emotional. I personally preferred them to the HD650, also if the top Sennheisers beat the K501 in some audiophile terms (not musicality, for sure!).

They are also very well constructed, with a real leather headband, which auto-regulates. Very light and easy to wear for hours. There's not listening fatigue, never.

ATTENTION TO THIS:
My K501 came with the new pads, for control this at first I lifted a little the pad and the pads... fall on my hands. Very loosy I thought... well the pads have to be settled very firmly in their housing, you have to turn and they have to do TWO "clacks" and then they are firmly in the earcup. So they press in the right way in the earcups and the bass come alive. So... control this when you have the K501! Not only the pads does not fall off anymore, but the headphones sound better!

Bye
smily_headphones1.gif

Andrea

Mar 15, 2005 at 2:18 PM Post #2 of 75
Very nice, amartignano. I'm glad you're enjoying your K501s. I know a lot of people here feel they are too bass shy, but with the right amplification, these cans really sing. I'm using an RKV MKII which pairs extremely well with them.......and the bass is much improved. Thanks for your impressions!
biggrin.gif

Mar 15, 2005 at 2:22 PM Post #3 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by joelongwood
Thanks for your impressions!
biggrin.gif

De nada!
smily_headphones1.gif

Can you give me some links about the RKV MKII, please?

Andrea

Mar 15, 2005 at 2:36 PM Post #4 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by amartignano
Can you give me some links about the RKV MKII, please?

Both Meier Audio and Todd The Vinyl Junkie (sponsors of this site) carry this amp and have a little information. Also, if you search this site, you'll find a wealth of info. Hope this helps.
biggrin.gif

****EDIT*****: Here's a link to the Audio Valve web site. There are a number of reviews there.
http://www.audiovalve.info/

Mar 15, 2005 at 2:57 PM Post #5 of 75
I've seen, seems good but... a little bit expensive for me...
biggrin.gif

Thanx however.

Andrea

Mar 15, 2005 at 3:25 PM Post #6 of 75
Very nice review, Andrea!

I could find my own impressions in yours, almost in every respect. If it only had more bass (extension), I would have kept it! Maybe I should try it again with the new pads? Oh no, there's also the SA5000 to be considered...

The only thing I can't reproduce is the lack of flow and musicality you're attributing to the HD 650 -- to my ears it's even exemplary in this regard.

peacesign.gif

Mar 15, 2005 at 3:31 PM Post #7 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by JaZZ
The only thing I can't reproduce is the lack of flow and musicality you're attributing to the HD 650 -- to my ears it's even exemplary in this regard.

peacesign.gif

Yes, I understand, it's a matter of taste. It's a particular thing of the medium frequencies that I hear also in the HD497, I found it a bit electric and artificial, but it's very personal.

At least, I'm now very happy with the K501 (and I gained money changing from the HD650
biggrin.gif
k1000smile.gif
).

Bye
Andrea

Mar 15, 2005 at 3:50 PM Post #8 of 75
Amartignano, have you try listening to 70's funk, disco, psychelic rock??? Apart from piano, cymbal, femal vocal reproduction. You'll be blown away for sure.

Me too. I could live without the bass impact, but bass extension was little short on my list. The K501 are definately an acquired taste!!!

Mar 15, 2005 at 4:17 PM Post #9 of 75
Andrea --

Enjoy your K501 !!
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

I agree. Speaking of vocals - the voices that are dry themselves will indeed sound dry, without any smoothing, but those that are velvety and liquid themselves... well, they come out "heavenly", really. And generally I find that vocals just come through in their entire richness of timbre.

Mar 15, 2005 at 4:20 PM Post #10 of 75
Quote:

If it only had more bass (extension), I would have kept it! Maybe I should try it again with the new pads?

I have to agree here, I still often think of getting another pair!
::: checking lottery ticket :::

Mar 15, 2005 at 4:27 PM Post #11 of 75
I completely agree. I've had my akgs for about three months and they are "sold" about to be shipped today. I am realizing that I actually really REALLY like these cans. The midrange is so beautiful. Vocals sound so real and natural. But the lack of bass is very apparent and I need a replacement.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 15, 2005 at 4:28 PM Post #12 of 75
It's all about the midrange with AKG... loves it.
biggrin.gif

Mar 15, 2005 at 4:28 PM Post #13 of 75
Very nice impressions I still think the K501's are one of the better bargains in the headphone world. On a side note I think the 501's match up really well with tube amps. Something like a MPX3 or Eddie Current HD300 really make the most out of the 501's.

Mar 15, 2005 at 5:09 PM Post #14 of 75
Congrats on your new toys ! I also find them most enjoyable using integrated amp. Pink said that Graham Slee Solo amp did wonders to these phones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back