AKG K501, is it possible to improve its low frequency output?
Nov 17, 2008 at 10:41 PM Post #31 of 40
The LB II and Pro has a hi/lo gain switch to address the low impedance hps. While the LB may not be the best option performance wise, for it's price, there are many good results from folk that have much better amps. They tube rolled and added a better power cord.

Nov 17, 2008 at 11:28 PM Post #32 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by shamu144 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow, Kugino... I am actually going the same road and will have in a few days my K501 recabled for balanced operations... I am definitely looking for a significant improvement in bass extension and impact, as well as a better definition of the soundstage and retrieval of details. I simply love my K501 and wanted to get the best out of them.

According to your own experience, do you think my expectations could be fulfilled
tongue_smile.gif

By the way, I second opinions regarding negative side effect of the K701 pad mod... After reading your comments, I might try though the K601 pad mod
smile.gif

i think the area most helped by going balanced was the low end. it's not night and day, but certainly noticeable. the 501s have always been pretty good with soundstage so i don't think you'll be disappointed. but as is the case with all headphones, your upstream equipment will matter...and going balanced, it might matter even more. good luck! i hope you enjoy it as much as i do.

Nov 18, 2008 at 9:43 AM Post #33 of 40
Thanks Kugino for sharing your thoughts,

I will definitely come back with some impressions within a few days !!

Nov 19, 2008 at 1:15 AM Post #34 of 40
try K501 with K601 pads, amazing transformation, more body, more comfort, but i still prefer K500 with K601 pads
biggrin.gif

Nov 19, 2008 at 3:41 AM Post #35 of 40
My guess is that rather than modding the headphone, you're better off getting a powerful amp that puts out some serious power. I've got the RKV MK II and it grabs ahold of the 501's and whips them into shape, and brings out the low end to a very satisfying level - at least for me.

As with all things audio, YMMV.

Nov 19, 2008 at 6:58 AM Post #36 of 40
Well for whatever its worth the amp I'm using has brought out the bass on my other phones, the x-can v8. I just don't think that the k501 was designed to go very low. While amping might improve its bass, that improvement is not much at all compared to the degree of improvement see in other phones. Perhaps increasing its bass output to work well enough for some genres, but I don't think that it will ever go deep enough for allot of the music that I listen to.

I should really try the pad mod, but so far people say go with k601 pads, which I don't have. Have the 701, might gather up the courage to pop those things off just to see what they sound like.

Nov 19, 2008 at 10:53 AM Post #38 of 40
arteom;5013035 said:
Well for whatever its worth the amp I'm using has brought out the bass on my other phones, the x-can v8. I just don't think that the k501 was designed to go very low. While amping might improve its bass, that improvement is not much at all compared to the degree of improvement see in other phones. Perhaps increasing its bass output to work well enough for some genres, but I don't think that it will ever go deep enough for allot of the music that I listen to.

I should really try the pad mod, but so far people say go with k601 pads, which I don't have. Have the 701, might gather up the courage to pop those things off just to see what they sound like.[/Q

Imho , i feel that whether the k501 has bass or no bass depends more on the recording rather than the amp ( I know tube lovers may rush in to say otherwise) On some cds i feel the k501 has ample bass (still not much) but not so on others.
I must state that i am no basshead and have no craving for my headphone to go BOOM. The k701 at least has more body in its sound despite losing abit on female vocal realism and clarity. Based on this alone, k701 is a better all rounder and more pleasing on all types of music and recordings imho. The thing is those cds which tend to sound good on k501 are likely to be those under the 'Audiophile' category. ( i just am stating my opinion, not a fact.)

Just to add that hd600 with cardas has overthrown both of the akgs as my favourite.

Nov 19, 2008 at 1:37 PM Post #39 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bozz_Keren /img/forum/go_quote.gif
try K501 with K601 pads, amazing transformation, more body, more comfort, but i still prefer K500 with K601 pads
biggrin.gif

Yes, there's not much to prefer over a K500 with K601 pads
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back