AKG K501 - First impressions
Jun 21, 2006 at 3:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

Piffles

100+ Head-Fier
'Evenin' folks,

Just got my AKG K501 today. I swapped my Senn HD595 for them with a pal in Germany. My thinking when I got the HD595 was: highly-rated, efficient headphone for under 150Euros. Efficiency was a big factor for me because I'm driving my phones directly from a M-Audio USB interface. However, I didn't like the HD595's sound on acoustic music (see my impressions here).

I hesitated a while in getting the K501 as they, according to the experts, need good amplification to shine. Considering its reviews (organic, open, crisp sound), I thought it was worth the risk and would probably be great for my classical guitar and flamenco guitar stuff.

Well, I've been trying them this afternoon and I'm definitely impressed. Very crisp and precise on acoustic guitars, lots of edge and punch. They convey the variations in tone and volume very nicely. Also really good at instrument seperation (especially orchestras) and choruses. Brilliant detail aswell.
I then tried them on some Jazz and later some Rock. I initially thought they were a bit harsh in the upper ranges. Electric guitars sounded a little too bright and high hats, cimbals and things like that were too piercing. I later realized that I was in fact turning the volume up too far because I wanted to hear more power in the bass. That was the cause of the harshness, not the headphone itself. So I turned the volume down and boosted the bass ever so slightly in foobar's equalizer to retain the bass punch. That solved the problem. I found they also improved on voices when I boosted a bass: gave them more body.
So, on the whole, a really great headphone. I have to admit, although I wasn't convinced at first, the bass is a little lean. It's good bass, tight, precise, dynamic, but there's just not very much of it. But I prefer that to lots and lots of poor quality bass.

To conclude, I'm definitely sticking with the K501 - by far the best headphone I've ever had. It's the first product I buy that does what it says on the box (hifi reference headphone for classical music). And more: it's also pretty good on electric music to my mind, if you boost the bass very slightly. It's interesting that an inefficient, current-guzzling phone (K501) sounds better unamped to my ears than an unamped, efficient phone (HD595). As I was told by a very wise person on this forum: forget the figures, forget the tech stuff, and find a headphone with a sound signature that you like. I should have listened to him right from the beginning.

Cya,
Piffles.

Jun 21, 2006 at 3:40 PM Post #2 of 20
Nice review. The K501 is an ideal classical guitar can.

Jun 21, 2006 at 5:00 PM Post #3 of 20
Hmm, anyways, i know your price range doesn't include this, but have you heard the akg 701?

Jun 21, 2006 at 5:07 PM Post #4 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Piffles
So, on the whole, a really great headphone. I have to admit, although I wasn't convinced at first, the bass is a little lean. It's good bass, tight, precise, dynamic, but there's just not very much of it. But I prefer that to lots and lots of poor quality bass.

To conclude, I'm definitely sticking with the K501 - by far the best headphone I've ever had.

Yea! Go Team K501!
biggrin.gif

I agree about the quality of the bass, it is great for listening to expressive bassists who play melodically, allowing you to clearly make out the tonality of the notes and appreciate their riff's.

Jun 22, 2006 at 5:46 AM Post #6 of 20
How does the bass quantity compared to Koss PortaPro unamped? I read that the bass on the 501 is tight, but I don't think it's good if the volume of the bass is too weak. Is there any cans out there that also have that tight bass, but works better unamped than 501?

Jun 22, 2006 at 7:28 AM Post #7 of 20
Were the K-501s used by your friend, or were they new?

If they're already broken in, that's great. It seems like a lot of people give up on them before they really begin to shine.

And when you're ready, try the K-501 with a nice desktop amp. You'll be surprised at how well they open up.

Jun 22, 2006 at 8:34 AM Post #8 of 20
Uncle Erik:
Nope. I had my HD595 for about a week until I gave them to this friend of mine in Germany. Instead of asking for money in return, I asked him to get me a K501 as they're cheaper in Germany than in France. So I'm listening to them pretty much out of the box. I suppose they will get better in time, but even now and without an amp, I can tell I'm gonna enjoy these phones. I guess I will get an amp in future, when I have a bit of cash on hand to waste, but for now, as long as I don't know what I'm missing, I'm happy with my current setup.

EternalShadow:
No, I haven't heard the K701 but as you say, they're way out of my league. I could maybe stretch it to the K601 but I heard they were not particularly better than the K501, just different.

465:
I was told the best headphone on the market for use unamped was the HD595. Personally I didn't like them, although, I have to admit, they are technically very good. People said the bass was good (powerful and tight) but I thought it was just sloppy too loud (but that might be me who's just no particularly keen on bass in general). If I were you, I'd stop worrying about amps and get a good headphone regardless of efficiency (except maybe the K340...). If you like their sound, you'll enjoy them even unamped - and even more with an amp.

Jun 22, 2006 at 9:28 AM Post #9 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Piffles
As I was told by a very wise person on this forum: forget the figures, forget the tech stuff, and find a headphone with a sound signature that you like. I should have listened to him right from the beginning.

AKG's are allright, spec-wise and tech-wise. I still like the signature (though i doubt if there is any...)

Jun 22, 2006 at 11:14 AM Post #10 of 20
Didn't you burn the HD595 in first? Ouch! Yor friend's gonna be happy
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 22, 2006 at 11:47 AM Post #11 of 20
Yeah I like the 501's they're great. I enjoy my AKG K81's more than my hd580s. It's kind of like the musics been engineered out of the sound with the senns - technically good but lack the x factor. Good 1st hifi phone but youv'e got to move on..I don't even want to listen to them anymore.

Quote:

forget the figures, forget the tech stuff

(and the marketing) sennheiser have good marketeers like bose do..

- Yes too many people here forget it's the Music thats important! -

Jun 22, 2006 at 12:30 PM Post #12 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by 465
How does the bass quantity compared to Koss PortaPro unamped? I read that the bass on the 501 is tight, but I don't think it's good if the volume of the bass is too weak. Is there any cans out there that also have that tight bass, but works better unamped than 501?

I found the PortaPro to have very 'bloated' bass, and not what I'd consider tight. To me, PortaPro is more in the direction of darkness (sennheiser) not AKG (particularly K501) sound.

Jun 22, 2006 at 1:11 PM Post #13 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by NiceCans
Yea! Go Team K501!
biggrin.gif

I agree about the quality of the bass, it is great for listening to expressive bassists who play melodically, allowing you to clearly make out the tonality of the notes and appreciate their riff's.

Yeah, the list i had in another thread: Mingus, Ron Carter, Dave Holland, Gary Peacock, Jaco, Victor Wooten, Stanley Clarke, Marcus Miller. I'll have to go home, look at my piles of CDs Others?

Now i'm looking forward to going home and burning in my 501s some more. Wahoo.

Jun 22, 2006 at 3:19 PM Post #14 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by lostbobby
Now i'm looking forward to going home and burning in my 501s some more. Wahoo.

I downloaded a bunch of samples specifically with the K501's in mind; bass riffs, bass slides, bass slaps, bass-drum kicks, tom-tom hits and made a burn-in 'album'.
Played on random sort, continuous play for extended periods and at rather high volume levels (avoid distortion, not THAT loud!) it can make a significant difference . . . .
BUT only to those that believe in burn-in
rolleyes.gif

icon10.gif

(I put mine in a drawer buried in clothing so as not to be annoying)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back