AKG K501 and Rega Ear: A good combo?
Aug 15, 2003 at 3:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

Michael Yoder

New Head-Fier
Hi,

I posed a similar question within a thread on the headphone forum, but thought it might be better suited to the headphone amp forum. Sorry if redundant.

Background: I live in a smallish city in South Texas that's > 4 hours from anywhere to try out anything, so many of my electronics purchases are done via research on the net and then mail order, if feasible.

My living room soundsystem, based on Rega Mira 3 integrated amp and NAD 521i CD player, has no headphone output jack. I read some reassuring comments on this and another forum about the Rega Ear headphone amp. I love the Rega "English" sound. . . .laid back, accurate, musical, nothing flashy.

It seems as though the headphones for me will be the AKG K501, based on numerous descriptions on a couple of forums that they're detailed without hyped bass, but not overly hyper in the highs either.

The Question: Does anyone have experience with the AKG K501 (or even K401) through a Rega Ear? If so, please share with me your thoughts on how well they "mate". I would run it from the tape out of the Rega Mira.

Thanks a bunch!
Michael Y.

Aug 16, 2003 at 5:21 AM Post #4 of 27
Haven't heard Rega Ear.

But, if it shares Rega's house sound, it should mate well with K501. ( I love little Mira )
wink.gif

The best I have heard out of K501 was with Emmeline HA2.

Aug 16, 2003 at 11:29 AM Post #5 of 27
Michael-
I own and use my Rega Ear extensively. My only other current in house headphone amp is a Musical Fidelity Xcans V1 which I don't use very much - its several years old and could be close to needing tube replacement due to the abuse/use that I have heaped upon it.
I can say that the Ear/K501 combo sounds good and is probably a good economical setup. I also own HD580s which I hardly touch anymore - I like the sound and comfort of the AKGs more - the 580s have always felt like a vise on my head. The choice between the AKGs and similar priced Grados is more difficult for me - I like both very much.
The Ear is relatively inexpensive although I think others have prefered similar priced Creeks on this forum. Another good choice would probably be a built Meta from one of the several small DIY builders that frequent this site. Their knowledge and ability to customize the amp for K501s could be a plus. It might come down to the question of whether or not you want a piece from a "name" company or are willing to use "no-name".
Sorry I cannot provide much info as to where this amp/headphone combo sits in the grand ranking of systems. I am either blessed or cursed with a bit of audio insensitivity - I seldom hear the vast differences that are trumpeted throughout the audio press/internet. In past years I have spent thousands on various pieces of audio equipment - upgrading followed by downgrading followed by upgrading again and so it goes. I haven't yet done this too much in the headphone area but the danger still exists...
The Ear is a nice basic amp. It will drive probably any headphone you connect to it - I even use K1000s. Probably not the last word in the audiophile quality lexicon but it does work and it is, again, not too much money relative to others. The K501s are very good cans for the money. The combo could be all the combo you ever feel you need. If you hang around here it probably won't be....

Aug 16, 2003 at 7:02 PM Post #6 of 27
Zimmer,

Thanks very much for your thoughtful reply. I appreciate very much the rather extensive amount of info and impressions you've provided. Given that I love Rega products, and that you've confirmed that the Ear works well with all sorts of headphones, I think this would be a wise investment on my part. You've also confirmed a lot of the good things I've read about the AKG K501. Thus, I think this will be the combination I will shoot for.

The Rega audio components with which I am familiar are very neutral, laid back, and very, very musical. The sorts of descriptions I've read of the AKG K501 are similar. Thus, it sounds like a good, affordable place at least to start.

I live in a pathetic, backward city when it comes to electronics, hi-fi, etc., so I have to learn everything on the internet and then make the best decision I possibly can when I purchase via mail order. In this case, I'm quite convinced this will work out. I want to thank you for the part you've played in informing my purchase decision, which I will make when the fall semester begins and the paychecks start rolling in again!

Still, I would welcome other comments there may be by others who may have ideas about the Ear/K501 combination.

Cheers,
Michael

Aug 17, 2003 at 2:58 AM Post #7 of 27
Dear Michael,
I have just acquired a Rega Ear and a pair of Sennheiser HD 580 this past week at the yearly S‹o Paulo HI-FI show. There I did extensive auditioning of both AKG and Sennheiser products. I was basically undecided at first between the HD 580 and the K 501 (the HD 590 was not avaliable). I would like to inform you that the Rega Ear sounds beautiful. The soundstage is huuuge and the instruments sound very sharp and there's a black space separating them. You see the thing is, even though the Ear goes down very low on the lower octaves with a lot of detailed, quick bass, it's just not very strong down there. It's emphasis is on the upper mids. It's definitely not an amp for bassheads. The K 501 is similar in this respect. Many K 501 users complain of lacking bass. I do not mean to troll or to provoke any K 501 users with this. Many people are happy with the k 501, however; I suspect the Ear may not be the right amp for it, unless you don't mind not hearing any bass. It's just not a synergistic duo as far as bass goes. That's one of the reasons I went for the HD 580 instead of the K 501. I would strongly recomment that you trust your own ears over my words though. You should audition the K 501 with the Rega Ear and see if you like the combination. Make sure you audition other cans with this same amp as well and see which combination you like best. Your ears are the boss, not me.
Cheers!
smily_headphones1.gif

Alex Altorfer

Aug 17, 2003 at 4:03 PM Post #8 of 27
Alex,

You've definitely sold me (and probably a few others reading this) on the Rega Ear. I'm hearing nothing but good things about it. Decision's made. It's important to start with a good source.

Thanks for the helpful advice regarding appropriate headphones. To me there is nothing more irritating than bass overkill. To use your terminology, I'm definitely not a "bass head" even though as a musician I am a bassist! A complete lack of bass, a complete lack of highs, and an "overly-engineered-to-be-spectacular" sound would be the other annoyances. That said, I will take your advice in this way: since there is no place anywhere nearby for me to do A-B comparisons between AKG and Sennheiser, I should order headphones from a retailer who allows returns, in case one pair doesn't work out.

I'm still leaning toward AKG K501 because of what I hear of its comfort and my general sense that the overall consensus among users is that these phones are flat and natural, not accentuating extreme highs or lows.

[footnote: Perhaps the K401 might be a tad better in this regard? . . . .AKG seems to imply that they're a tad bassier than the 501. I can research this via the archives both here and on the AKG web site.]

Anyway, if I decide to start with the AKG's and they just seem too bass-lean, then I know what to try next (HD580). Who knows, I may end up with both!! It's quite obvious from this and other forums that headphone people like to have multiple sets!! And if neither of those works out, there's always Beyerdynamics.

Cheers,
Michael

Aug 20, 2003 at 1:35 AM Post #9 of 27
Michael,

A smallish town in Texas is not too bad. I'm in far worse shape than you. Brazil is not the right place to find headphone amps, as import taxes double prices and customs bureaucracy make the act of picking up an import item a long cold hell. I only found one headphone amp readily avaliable from a dealer in the last two years: the Rega Ear. Promisses from a Brazilian company announcing a locally produced headphone amp did not materialize, and Brazilian economic protectionism is not likely to soften in the next five years or so.

As for the Rega Ear, definitely audition first. I'm having some problems with it. The volume is way too loud. It reaches piercingly painful levels with the pot merely at 9 o'clock. I'm lucky my Sony CD player's got volume output attenuation, controllable via remote, of up to 20 db. Actually, I'm finding the Rega Ear's treble quite fatiguing, and as I've been leaving my rig on for well over a week now, I'm beginning to lose hope that burn in is gonna make it any better. I'm pondering the acquisition of a graphic equalizer that I could place between the CDP and the amp to compensate for all this brightness and for the low end leanness as well. Though I'm not a basshead either, quite frankly I miss it here.

BTW, whatever Zimmer said about the HD 580 feeling like a vise on his head is very true. It clamps around my head very tightly, to the point of stretching the skin around my ears and subsequently pulling my ear canal open further. This is painfull and increases fatigue. I'm utterly flabbergasted by this. I only really noticed this after I bought it. After reading the high praises of the HD 580s from so many on this forum and spending a substantial pile of cash on it, I definitely did not expect it to be this way. It's supposed to be German engineering you know.

No, there are no proper return policies under the Equator. You should thank God for being in a smallish town in Texas. Please feel sorry about my wallet.

Cheers,

Alex Altorfer

Aug 20, 2003 at 1:51 AM Post #10 of 27
Quote:

Originally posted by Alex Altorfer
As for the Rega Ear, definitely audition first. I'm having some problems with it. The volume is way too loud. It reaches piercingly painful levels with the pot merely at 9 o'clock. I'm lucky my Sony CD player's got volume output attenuation, controllable via remote, of up to 20 db. Actually, I'm finding the Rega Ear's treble quite fatiguing, and as I've been leaving my rig on for well over a week now, I'm beginning to lose hope that burn in is gonna make it any better. I'm pondering the acquisition of a graphic equalizer that I could place between the CDP and the amp to compensate for all this brightness and for the low end leanness as well. Though I'm not a basshead either, quite frankly I miss it here.

Alex,

What did EAR replace?
I haven't personally tried EAR, but sure doesn't sound like the Rega I know.

Aug 20, 2003 at 2:46 AM Post #11 of 27
Alex,

I guess maybe I really should investigate the Rega Ear further before buying, though your comments on the uncontrollably high gain are the first I've heard. Not that there are tons of detailed reviews of the product on this or other forums, but I don't recall seeing anything troubling about it before. Some have said the Creek (for a little more money) is a tad better. I'll take the time to investigate further. I have always found Rega products to excel beyond words up until now, so this has me baffled. Thanks for making me take the time to investigate further.

You're right about the advantages of being a consumer in the U.S., even if in a garbage pit in South Texas. However, that said, I have high hopes for Lula in Brazil. The majority of Brazilians have not prospered in the country's late-twentienth-century "development," and I see a light at the end of the tunnel for Latin America as a whole when, in its most prominent country, the vast majority, including many small business owners and even some in big business, would back someone who placed misery and hunger at the top of his campaign agenda. I don't mean to diminish the difficulties you likely endure with bureaucracy, tariffs, intermitent delivery services, etc., etc. But the country, after all the thoughtless neoliberal policies of Kohler, (and even Cardoso, unable to quell the strong economic disparities), can only get better through time. Globalisation has not been kind to the majority in Latin America. I do feel this where I live on the Mexican border. The Texas border region's economy is intimately tied to that of Mexico's (and Latin America's in general). Thus, I have a stake in learning about all of this (which is MUCH MORE than I can say about our local idiot politicians!!!) Lula is right in doubting FTAA!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry to get on my soap box. I appreciate your suggestions about investigating other headphone amps, and will do so (Creek, etc.)

Cheers,
Michael

Aug 20, 2003 at 6:59 PM Post #12 of 27
Quote:

Originally posted by Alex Altorfer
I would like to inform you that the Rega Ear sounds beautiful. The soundstage is huuuge and the instruments sound very sharp and there's a black space separating them. You see the thing is, even though the Ear goes down very low on the lower octaves with a lot of detailed, quick bass, it's just not very strong down there. It's emphasis is on the upper mids. It's definitely not an amp for bassheads. The K 501 is similar in this respect. Many K 501 users complain of lacking bass.

The Ear has plenty of bass (in relation to the rest of the spectrum) and it goes deep. I know this because I have tried sources with definite low bass content and it comes through just fine.

The reason some may find the Ear "lacks" bass is because it lacks the distorted/bloated bass of some other equipment. The bass notes start and stop right on schedule without being bogged down by mud and fog. So it won't 'drag down' your headphones either.

I find the Ear similar to the Rega Planar 3 turntable. It's quick, precise, musical and slightly forward in the midrange/upper midrange. It's also got enough gain to drive every headphone I've tried with it.

Mind you, I had mine modded with a socket and am using 8620 opamp, not the stock one, so mine might sound a bit different.

Aug 20, 2003 at 7:29 PM Post #13 of 27
I also own the Ear and my experience is more in line with Beagle's description, though I agree that the gain is set high (+20db); really only suitable for high impedance cans like Senns IMO, and with Senns I always used the volume set to under 9 o'clock - but I only like to listen to 80db peak or less.

Alex,

I think that if you are experiencing 'fatiguing treble' that may reflect more upon your Sony source than on the amp. I have a warmish source (NAD) and the Ear's output is also warm. You might want to try auditioning it with other CD players to see if it is the amp or the player that is at fault.

Also, if your HD-580s aren't fully broken in (48-72 hours), that could be a cause.

Aug 20, 2003 at 8:18 PM Post #14 of 27
Quote:

Originally posted by Carlos3
I think that if you are experiencing 'fatiguing treble' that may reflect more upon your Sony source than on the amp. I have a warmish source (NAD) and the Ear's output is also warm

I would agree here. What comes out of the Ear reflects what is going in.

Aug 20, 2003 at 10:12 PM Post #15 of 27
Quote:

What comes out of the Ear reflects what is going in

I agree. I also own a Rega Ear and have never experienced harsh or fatiguing treble. I use the Ear with my Rega Planet 2000 and Simaudio Moon Eclipse CD players. I use Senheisser HD600 headphones. I find the Ear very "neutral". I full-heartedly reccomend this amp to anyone. As some audiophiles say "Garbage in Garbage out"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back