AKG K400 Questions (new here)
Apr 26, 2013 at 1:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

ChefWRX

New Head-Fier
Hello everyone. I recently found my old beloved pair of AKG K400's that I received for a birthday gift nearly 17 years ago. I have a few questions. Are there any customizations or modifications I can do to improve them? I'd like to replace the pads, but I don't know what my options are. Also, The cover for the right side is missing, and I'd like to replace it. I'm currently using them at work in my cubicle.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Apr 29, 2013 at 7:45 PM Post #3 of 19
I'd replace the headphones. That old, there probably will be no parts and the sound quality of today's cans are superior. IMO

Apr 30, 2013 at 7:39 PM Post #5 of 19
Vid, I agree, in fact... I think a lot of the common headphones now are complete ****. For example, all of the Beats garbage...

Happy Camper, If you were to recommend a very comfortable set that can be worn all day and still be enjoyable for less than $500 I would appreciate it.

I'd prefer to replace the pads, but I can't seem to find a compatible option.

Thanks for your input guys.

May 1, 2013 at 1:46 AM Post #6 of 19
Stick with your fine 'phone - it's a little marvel of sound and comfort, and a great bargain as well. The sound stage of the K400 can compete with the very best, it's a quality to be admired. The sound is a bit bright, which some people refer to as "wonderful mids". It's all taste and preferrances.

The top can be tamed and the bass brought forward a little by modifying the baffle with blutak or tape. I've described this in one of the K 500/K400 threads; it's quite simple and efficient, and reversable. The model for this method emanates from the three baffle versions of the K501 which have been described in a thread devoted to that headphone.

The original K400 pads are more or less the same as the K501 pads which are available. Some AKG fans have also experimented with K601, 701 and 702 anniversary pads (they are all interchangeable) on Head-Fi recently. There was also a Swiss aficionado who made in-depth pad comparisons on the British audio web site "Rock Grotto".

Boy, you've got a lot of fun ahead of you...

May 1, 2013 at 1:18 PM Post #7 of 19
MDR30, Thank you, this is exactly what I was looking for. I only wish I could have found the cover for the right side. The exposed wires are a little unsightly, but it doesn't affect the sound from what I can tell.

I'm going to look for the 701 and 702 pads, hopefully they fit better than the smashed cloth and foam originals.

Thanks again! I can't wait to hear them with fresh comfortable pads.

May 4, 2013 at 1:17 AM Post #10 of 19
Can't resist chiming in. I put some 701 pads on my K401's and love 'em. I believe the K401 is very similar to the K400.

For what it's worth, I had a pair of K701's for about 2 years and found I preferred the K401. And, they still hold their own against more expensive and newer cans in my collection (see list in profile).

May 6, 2013 at 6:55 PM Post #11 of 19
I got the cheaper stock 701 pads, they fit well and snapped right on cans.

If I was to describe the sound:
I'd say they have nice smooth (although slightly subdued) bass.
Clear and soft highs.
But the midrange is what I love the most... It's focused and extremely detailed. My impression is that for the midrange, the sound doesn't seem to originate from the drivers. It seems as though it's created in the center of my cranium. I can't describe it better than that. For example on the track Basique by LIttle People, the piano seems out front, the drums out to either side, and everything else is directly in the center of the mix. It's spacious and inviting.

I spend all day at work listening to music through them, and I don't ever for a second get tired of them. I'm so glad I found these treasures packed away in my storage unit. Ok, my rant is over.

May 6, 2013 at 10:11 PM Post #12 of 19
I'd be interested to hear the K702 Annies compared to them. I've owned the 701s for 5 yrs but the Annies improve the bass and are more comfy than the 701 ribbed band. But that's my opinion and we all have one.

May 8, 2013 at 2:23 AM Post #14 of 19
i don't have  the akg k400 but I do have a pair of akg k401 which I find is superior to the akg k702.  I recommend keeping your current headphones or maybe buy another brand.  I would bet  that a lot of people would prefer the old k4xx or k500xx over the k702 or even the new 65th anniversary edition.  

May 8, 2013 at 7:55 AM Post #15 of 19
Quote:
i don't have  the akg k400 but I do have a pair of akg k401 which I find is superior to the akg k702.  I recommend keeping your current headphones or maybe buy another brand.  I would bet  that a lot of people would prefer the old k4xx or k500xx over the k702 or even the new 65th anniversary edition.  

I recently got the K 701 for testing and am somewhat surprised by their sound. That is, most of my vintage headphones can compete with them, even those costing $30 or so. Some of them don't have the detail of the 701 but offer a much more neutral or enjoyable sound, and some just sound outright better technically.

Then again, I preferred the vintage DT 990 over the K 601 as well. Maybe modern phones (or AKG's line specifically) aren't for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back