AKG K361/K371
Apr 8, 2020 at 2:49 PM Post #211 of 1,294
Msr7b's drivers are angled and outer edges of the ear are in contact with the driver cover but never feels uncomfortable.

K371's on the other hand have a bit a larger earpads compared to MSR7b's but due to non angled drivers(flat) and too soft cushion of the earpads of k371 you feel some some pressure on ears with a bit larger portion of ear in contact with driver cover. The clamping force of k371 is a bit strong compared MSR7b's.

Weight distribution of k371 is not so good when compared to MSR7B as most of the weight of K371 is concentrated on the earcups with aluminium sliders and rest of headband feels pretty light.

Cheers again, so glad I double-checked this point it's that outer edges that I would struggle with. I currently have akg K550 rev 3, but I currently use brainwavz k550 large sheepskin pads and my ears do not remotely touch the driver so my ears can breathe a bit, will look into brainwavz or other pad replacements for the MSR7Bs.

Apr 15, 2020 at 4:21 PM Post #212 of 1,294
Ever since returning these I have to admit I feel like I kind of miss them...I just didn’t necessarily prefer them to what I already have, and do I really need to have 3 closed headphones? But they did sound quite good, and we’re cheap, even if not exactly to my preference (although they were close). But I also guess I never took the time to get used to them, admittedly.

I just really wish these came out this time last year...then I probably would’ve followed the crowd, got these and been done with it.

It's funny, I was thinking about returning these... I bought the K371s and K553s from Guitar Center right as things turned. My hope was to return whichever pair I liked the least. The K371, without a doubt, has the better, more-pleasing sound. They're fun to listen to - especially with jazz and acoustic-based tracks. The K553s do reach a little better in the highs, but lacks the same warmth. I did, however, order a couple extra-thick ear-pads from Brainwaves which, I suspect, will correct some of that for me. The K553s also have better, more durable build quality (in my opinion). It's a toss up though... I was only going to return the K371s because 1) they we're cheaper (is that backwards logic?) and 2) I can't cancel my ear pad order for the K553s. Maybe I'll just keep both?

Apr 15, 2020 at 4:27 PM Post #213 of 1,294
It's funny, I was thinking about returning these... I bought the K371s and K553s from Guitar Center right as things turned. My hope was to return whichever pair I liked the least. The K371, without a doubt, has the better, more-pleasing sound. They're fun to listen to - especially with jazz and acoustic-based tracks. The K553s do reach a little better in the highs, but lacks the same warmth. I did, however, order a couple extra-thick ear-pads from Brainwaves which, I suspect, will correct some of that for me. The K553s also have better, more durable build quality (in my opinion). It's a toss up though... I was only going to return the K371s because 1) they we're cheaper (is that backwards logic?) and 2) I can't cancel my ear pad order for the K553s. Maybe I'll just keep both?
You sure could keep both. The build of the K371 concerns me a little and they’re still fairly new so we don’t know how a well-used pair will hold up over time, so you could hold onto the K553 as a backup, or as a change of pace pair.

Apr 21, 2020 at 9:18 PM Post #214 of 1,294
Another K371 review: https://diyaudioheaven.wordpress.com/headphones/measurements/akg/k371/

An interesting chart about a good seal vs a bad seal on them.
Screenshot_20200421-211622__01.jpg

Apr 21, 2020 at 11:43 PM Post #216 of 1,294
I hear them the same each time I put them on.

Now that I don't wear glasses anymore I can almost say the same. How long my hair gets in between haircuts, or how lazy I get with trimming my facial hair can slightly impact their sound too.

Apr 21, 2020 at 11:52 PM Post #217 of 1,294
I think as long as you avoid thick plastic frames and using metal temples should help seal the headphones since the metal ones are pretty flush against the surface of the head.

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2020 at 4:25 AM Post #218 of 1,294
I am an openback kind of guy. I just think they sound way more natural than closedbacks..though some times I need the isolation. Opening a window during the warmer months of the year can be a noisy affair as I live in an apartment. For those occasions I haven’t yet found anything as good as the K371, most definitely not in the same price range.
If most of my listening was done over closedback because I lived at the zoo or similarly had 7 children roaming the airwaves, I’d probably invest in something like a D7200, Eikon/Atticus or maybe an Elegia (none of which sound anywhere near as good as a mere HD600 imho)..but we’re also in an entirely different price bracket here, and even then the AKG still comes out on top regarding comfort.
A couple of things to consider with this headphone:
The pads need a little warm-up time. Once your head warms up the pads they become far more pliable and then rather elegantly conforms to the shape of your cranium. I wear glasses and only really experience a loss of looow bass when listening to them ‘cold’.
The low impedance makes this a poor match for amps with a high output impedance. You can hook it up to an OTL, but you need to look into something like the Valhalla 2 to get a sound that doesn’t muddy up the low end and/or exposes the noisefloor whilst music is playing (granted, some folks seem to like this sorta thing).
Last but not least: it obviously needs a nice little braided cable in pink..y’know to get that wonderful ‘My Little Ponyesque’ touch into the mix:)
https://m.imgur.com/a/xaENJo8
(Spoiler: cable is only there for bling...sound quality doesn’t care too much about wires)

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2020 at 3:15 PM Post #219 of 1,294
Sorry for my late response.

Firstly I would like to compare the sound signatures of both K371 & MSR7B

K371 - Balanced tilting slightly towards mid centric and slightly hollow sounding mid bass.

MSR7B - as everybody says leaner, brighter a bit of emphasis on upper mids and slightly recessed lower mids.

Both headphones have good extension either ends but different in presentation

Resolution:

MSR7B is a level above K371 in terms of resolution - Bass has very good definition and speed, Highs are very well extended and very well resolved to give an example the striking of drum stick to high hats and the decay of high hats are very clear in MSR7B

Soundstage & imaging:

MSR7B is a clear winner - It has better depth & width with very good imaging and definitely. K371 always sounds like inside the head kind of presentation.

MSR7B also benefits from balanced source - in terms soundstage dimensions and bit tighter bass.

Just wanted to thank you again, I did end up taking the risk since I spotted a good deal on amazon am delighted to report they are much better than my akg K550 hps, for any K550 or K371 owner if you get a chance try the msr7bs my K550s are going up on ebay shortly.

Apr 23, 2020 at 12:22 PM Post #220 of 1,294
Just wanted to thank you again, I did end up taking the risk since I spotted a good deal on amazon am delighted to report they are much better than my akg K550 hps, for any K550 or K371 owner if you get a chance try the msr7bs my K550s are going up on ebay shortly.

I am glad that you are happy with your purchase of MSR7b's.

Apr 23, 2020 at 4:06 PM Post #221 of 1,294
I really love my 361's, they are my newest pair - I've always been a Sennheiser guy, but these really appealed to me and I needed a closed-back 'phone for my cube office environment. I suppose there are a few other 'phones in the sub-$100 zone that can compete, but I'm happy. I bought online but listened to both the 361 and 371 at Guitar Center locally, as well as the current Yamaha and AT models. The 371s did not do it for me, to a degree that I'm wondering if their display model was flawed- thin and bass not as good as the 361. I've been recommending the 361s a lot to friends, though, they seem like a "you can't go wrong" kind of product. Will they last as long as some other phones? Maybe not, but at this price - not a big deal.

Apr 23, 2020 at 7:12 PM Post #223 of 1,294
I just got my second pair of these today and I’m starting to question why I returned these the first time around. I thought they didn’t stack up as well against my other closed backs but now I’m not so sure. At the very least, and this has already been said, this is a surprisingly solid performer given its price tag. In fact, one of the main issues I had the first time was they sounded pretty closed in but I don’t notice that as much this time around, imaging is pretty ok too honestly. And, the mids don’t come off as aggressive this time either.

Well, I know that I’m not returning these again, at least.

Apr 23, 2020 at 8:14 PM Post #224 of 1,294
I just got my second pair of these today and I’m starting to question why I returned these the first time around. I thought they didn’t stack up as well against my other closed backs but now I’m not so sure. At the very least, and this has already been said, this is a surprisingly solid performer given its price tag. In fact, one of the main issues I had the first time was they sounded pretty closed in but I don’t notice that as much this time around, imaging is pretty ok too honestly. And, the mids don’t come off as aggressive this time either.

Well, I know that I’m not returning these again, at least.

They're a mind-bender!
I go back and forth as to whether I should return mine or not. Sometimes, I love them, other-times, I hate them. It really just depends on the song/album I'm listening to.

Apr 23, 2020 at 9:13 PM Post #225 of 1,294
They're a mind-bender!
I go back and forth as to whether I should return mine or not. Sometimes, I love them, other-times, I hate them. It really just depends on the song/album I'm listening to.
What is it that you hate about them? It’s most likely not the headphone itself but the album(s). They’re pretty neutral in tonal balance so if you’re listening to something that’s too bass forward or too treble forward, it’ll show, although, these seem to present flaws rather smoothly compared to many headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back