AKG K361/K371
Mar 15, 2020 at 10:25 PM Post #196 of 1,294
Take a look at oratory1990’s measurement. I don’t think RTINGS utilizes the Harman Target. It follows it pretty closely. I don’t know if it’s a normality of the Harman curve but I found the upper mids to be rather forward on these (not sure if it’s more forward there than Harman usually measures).

Hi,

Starting with Rtings Testing Methodology/Benchmark 1.4, their target curve is very close to the 2018 Harman target curve. It is not exact due to the fact they are not using the same head measurement system. Their curve is derived off of their unit. If you look at the discussion under their 1.4 Changelog page, you'll see a thread where Sam explained some details about how they derived their latest target and linked to some graphical comparisons.

https://www.rtings.com/headphones/discussions/TXsAghfsOx_JFB6_/details-on-sound-changes

Cheers.

Mar 30, 2020 at 1:52 PM Post #199 of 1,294
You should put the 1More TripleDriver on your list.

Are the triples any good in comparison to the AKG K371s or those similar cans?

I did try Etymotic ER3-XR which are impressive but I found them lacking in sound stage or overall detail of my AKG K550s, I have been considering some iems lately but not tried too many !

Mar 30, 2020 at 2:14 PM Post #200 of 1,294
Apr 4, 2020 at 4:41 PM Post #201 of 1,294
From my iphone they sound good except missing some midbass. I think hybrid pads will help (thank you thesheik137).

Not very resolving but I bought it as a cheap portable closed headphone so mission accomplished.

I think they are good looking and feeling for the price and my intentions. The stock pads are very soft which are probably the best physical feature.

BUT these headphones creak a lot - more than any other headphone Ive tried. I had to take them off because it’s maddening. I can’t figure where the noise is coming from but I think it’s the joint where the cup attaches to headband and allows the swivel movement. Anyone else have this issue? Ugh

Apr 4, 2020 at 5:44 PM Post #202 of 1,294
I put on the Yaxi pads. I didnt really test for midbass bonus because I was already deciding “nope!” due to a small increase in brightness. The Yaxi hybrids are a little smaller than stock (not ear depth but width), so less comfortable size-wise and warmer temperature-wise. The stock pads are fine anyway to me. The aftermarket pads though did seem to muffle a bit the creakiness.

Apr 4, 2020 at 5:47 PM Post #203 of 1,294
The creakiness is mainly annoying in the left cup. The left cup is the one with the wire connection terminal. So, perhaps Ill try another cable and maybe thatll help. thesheik137 provided an extra small portable cable which is what Ive been using since its nicer looking than the stock cables.

EDIT:

Alternate cable didn't help. I may try opening the cups later and see if maybe something could be tightened better.

I switched to a longer cable so I could hook up to my desktop amp/dac. My Vali2 is fitted with a warm tube and the AKG 371 is sounding nice. As has been often said about AKG 371: it's inoffensive which is uncommon in a closed back especially at this price point. But it isn't resolving enough to be interesting enough for an audio enthusiast's main headphone at this price point. 58X from memory is similar to this in that its good tonally but meh resolution for a big open back. Other closed backs for cheaper that are also pretty inoffensive that I've tried are the Brainwavz HM5 (and variants) and Sennheiser HD598cs... neither of which creaked.

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2020 at 7:56 AM Post #205 of 1,294
Sorry for my late response.

Firstly I would like to compare the sound signatures of both K371 & MSR7B

K371 - Balanced tilting slightly towards mid centric and slightly hollow sounding mid bass.

MSR7B - as everybody says leaner, brighter a bit of emphasis on upper mids and slightly recessed lower mids.

Both headphones have good extension either ends but different in presentation

Resolution:

MSR7B is a level above K371 in terms of resolution - Bass has very good definition and speed, Highs are very well extended and very well resolved to give an example the striking of drum stick to high hats and the decay of high hats are very clear in MSR7B

Soundstage & imaging:

MSR7B is a clear winner - It has better depth & width with very good imaging and definitely. K371 always sounds like inside the head kind of presentation.

MSR7B also benefits from balanced source - in terms soundstage dimensions and bit tighter bass.

Hi thanks for the comparison, hope you don't mind answering a few questions since I think I am still deciding between the AKG 371s and MSR7Bs, cheers

Any annoying creaking ear pads or creaks with MSR7Bs like the 371s?

How is the isolation between the 2, I prefer to listen at all hours so the prefer less noise leakage ?

Any other favourable things you might add on the MSR7Bs ?

Apr 6, 2020 at 11:31 AM Post #206 of 1,294
Hi thanks for the comparison, hope you don't mind answering a few questions since I think I am still deciding between the AKG 371s and MSR7Bs, cheers

Any annoying creaking ear pads or creaks with MSR7Bs like the 371s?

How is the isolation between the 2, I prefer to listen at all hours so the prefer less noise leakage ?

Any other favourable things you might add on the MSR7Bs ?

Hi

I won't mind answering your questions because I know the pain when we make wrong headphone choices :smile_phones:.

As far as build quality is concerned, K371 is very good, well built, it has no creaking problems and the only negative I would like to mention is the slider on the K371 is loose and slider setting changes often. On the other hand MSR7B has good slider adjustments and 90 degree swivel of earcups, but the build doesn't seem sturdy as the hinges of the earcups creak when try to swivel or adjust the slider and the hinges seem a bit fragile.

Comfort: MSR7B is feels more comfortable and light on the head due to better headband which has good padding compared K371. K371 has a bit of higher clamping force than MSR7B and pads on K371 compress too much making your ears rest on the headphone driver cover.

Isolation: Both headphones are on same level I guess, I feel MSR's a bit good on isolating human voices.

My favorite and best part about MSR7 is the resolution in high frequencies, it is really incredible(I have philips X2, 1more H1707, superlux hd668b ). you have to hear them although they are bright but the timbre of highs is so good and does not sound artificial. If you pair them with warm sources or use tissue mod you will definitely enjoy them.
I have put a link of Tyll's review from innerfidelity on MSR7 which is pretty much the same.

Due to their bright nature and resolving ability in highs, bad recordings do not sound great. Avoid using them with brighter sources.

I don't have any information on planar magnetic headphones and I don't have any idea how MSR7's sound when compared to them.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2020 at 12:57 PM Post #207 of 1,294
Hi

I won't mind answering your questions because I know the pain when we make wrong headphone choices :smile_phones:.

As far as build quality is concerned, K371 is very good, well built, it has no creaking problems and the only negative I would like to mention is the slider on the K371 is loose and slider setting changes often. On the other hand MSR7B has good slider adjustments and 90 degree swivel of earcups, but the build doesn't seem sturdy as the hinges of the earcups creak when try to swivel or adjust the slider and the hinges seem a bit fragile.

Comfort: MSR7B is feels more comfortable and light on the head due to better headband which has good padding compared K371. K371 has a bit of higher clamping force than MSR7B and pads on K371 compress too much making your ears rest on the headphone driver cover.

Isolation: Both headphones are on same level I guess, I feel MSR's a bit good on isolating human voices.

My favorite and best part about MSR7 is the resolution in high frequencies, it is really incredible(I have philips X2, 1more H1707, superlux hd668b ). you have to hear them although they are bright but the timbre of highs is so good and does not sound artificial. If you pair them with warm sources or use tissue mod you will definitely enjoy them.
I have put a link of Tyll's review from innerfidelity on MSR7 which is pretty much the same.

Due to their bright nature and resolving ability in highs, bad recordings do not sound great. Avoid using them with brighter sources.

I don't have any information on planar magnetic headphones and I don't have any idea how MSR7's sound when compared to them.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for all the information the MSR7bs are gonna have to be added to the shopping basket rather than TP and Pasta :)

Apr 8, 2020 at 8:49 AM Post #208 of 1,294
Hi

hi Silvesnake, forgot to ask you the most important question ! Does your ear touch the inside of the cup on the MSR7bs ?

I used to have this issue with the ath-A900s before they broke, also some A371 owners reported this issue of their ear touching the driver also, this I can't handle due to dry skin.
again much appreciated thanks.

Apr 8, 2020 at 9:40 AM Post #209 of 1,294
Ever since returning these I have to admit I feel like I kind of miss them...I just didn’t necessarily prefer them to what I already have, and do I really need to have 3 closed headphones? But they did sound quite good, and we’re cheap, even if not exactly to my preference (although they were close). But I also guess I never took the time to get used to them, admittedly.

I just really wish these came out this time last year...then I probably would’ve followed the crowd, got these and been done with it.

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2020 at 1:39 PM Post #210 of 1,294
hi Silvesnake, forgot to ask you the most important question ! Does your ear touch the inside of the cup on the MSR7bs ?

I used to have this issue with the ath-A900s before they broke, also some A371 owners reported this issue of their ear touching the driver also, this I can't handle due to dry skin.
again much appreciated thanks.

Msr7b's drivers are angled and outer edges of the ear are in contact with the driver cover but never feels uncomfortable.

K371's on the other hand have a bit a larger earpads compared to MSR7b's but due to non angled drivers(flat) and too soft cushion of the earpads of k371 you feel some some pressure on ears with a bit larger portion of ear in contact with driver cover. The clamping force of k371 is a bit strong compared MSR7b's.

Weight distribution of k371 is not so good when compared to MSR7B as most of the weight of K371 is concentrated on the earcups with aluminium sliders and rest of headband feels pretty light.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back