AKG K340
Nov 7, 2012 at 9:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

tmars78

100+ Head-Fier
So I just had a pair of AKG K340s land in my lap for the cannot be beat price of $0.00. I only have a few questions about them. I have searched the forum and found answers to a few, like they are SUPER HARD to drive. Takes every bit of power my STX can put out to get decent sound from them. Now on to my questions:

Is there anyone on the forum that does mods to these? I am willing to have them balanced and buy an amp strictly for these, if I decide to keep them and not sell them. I know they need knew elastics, as they won't stay in the smallest position and just drop down to the largest setting. At this moment I have fixed that problem with a small piece of electrical tape.

Also, is there a way to tell around what year the pair I have is from? I have looked a few pictures of them on the web, and noticed some have AKG on the headband, and some do not. Mine does not have the logo. 

If I don't go the balanced route, would it be better for me to buy a tube amp for them or buy a small speaker amp and have the wires terminated so I can use them on the speaker amp. I have seen a few people recommend this, and am wondering if that is really a viable option. 

I think that is all the questions I have right now. Any help would be greatly appreciated. If I think of anything else, I will update this thread. 

Thanks for reading!!!

Nov 8, 2012 at 8:12 PM Post #3 of 13
Quote:
They most likely have a varying channel imbalance across the frequency range. Look for a stereo EQ to fix that with.

Wrong thread? 

And anyone? 

Nov 8, 2012 at 8:46 PM Post #5 of 13
Quote:
Nope, right thread.

Ok... 

I don't know why you think they have a channel imbalance. I never mentioned anything along those lines. I meant having them terminated with XLR connectors to make them balanced, and then getting an amp for them. This is a picture of fellow Headfier Audiosceptic's pair. 

Nov 8, 2012 at 8:57 PM Post #6 of 13
Tyll has measured two pairs of K 340 that I know of, http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/AKGK340DIYModifiedMorphsciA.pdf and http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/AKGK340Stock.pdf. Both have noticeable channel imbalance issues. My pair also had this - most notable around 3 kHz, as did those two that Tyll measured. Thus I'd offer as a bet that AKG either had less than optimal driver matching for some K 340, or something in them didn't age well.

Most vintage AKGs I've heard have had a very good channel balance, but the K 340 seem problematic in that regard.

Nov 8, 2012 at 9:10 PM Post #7 of 13
Quote:
Tyll has measured two pairs of K 340 that I know of, http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/AKGK340DIYModifiedMorphsciA.pdf and http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/AKGK340Stock.pdf. Both have noticeable channel imbalance issues. My pair also had this - most notable around 3 kHz, as did those two that Tyll measured. Thus I'd offer as a bet that AKG either had less than optimal driver matching for some K 340, or something in them didn't age well.

Most vintage AKGs I've heard have had a very good channel balance, but the K 340 seem problematic in that regard.

I don't hear channel imbalance in my pair. Now I haven't spent a great deal of time with them either, but I don't hear it. Maybe I will measure them and see. These were well taken care of. and look pretty much brand new. Like I said the only thing that is bad with them is the elastic. I'll measure them and see if I get the imbalance you are talking about, and let you know how it goes. Thanks for mentioning this.

Since I have your attention, any recommendations for them? I really like them, and plan on keeping them for awhile. 

Nov 10, 2012 at 12:08 AM Post #9 of 13
Cool. I was looking into getting the velour pads for mine as well. Is there anyway to know around what year they were made? I have seen so many variations of them, and would like to find out as much info as possible on the pair I own. 

May 24, 2013 at 10:33 AM Post #11 of 13
For K340 mods check out http://www.headphile.com   .......Larry Dale does excellent work. I just got my K340s back from him a couple of weeks ago with his mods and balanced wiring.....sounding sweet!

Cheers!

Gustav

Aug 3, 2013 at 8:14 PM Post #12 of 13
why does it cost over $200 for a simple recable job? 

Can someone provide measurments that recabling honestly makes a notable difference to sound? I picked up a near-mint pair for $150 locally, and they don't sound as good as my Shure SRH840, or Pioneer SE-A1000. .-.

midrange just isn't as great, nor is percussion as my existing cans. Driving them is a non issue with my vintage dedicated speaker amp. Being a total nerd for vintage and antique gear, I made the plunge to buy them, but I want to justify the expense of mods. I did the same with my SR60 and I actually preferred the stock sound to modding them.

Sep 4, 2013 at 4:10 AM Post #13 of 13
The AKG K340 was my first headphone back in 1979.

It is a 2-way headphone. The tweeter is not electrostatic it is an elecret type, so it doesn't require a high polarization voltage. The disadvantage is that the elecret ages and this might cause a bad unbalance. I doubt there is any spare in this case, specifically because an unused elecret tweeter would age just the same way just by storage time.

Hope this helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back