AKG K340
May 6, 2002 at 4:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

stallion11msu

100+ Head-Fier
I've read some of the threads on the AKG K340, but I'm still wondering what current headphone they might measure up to? I just picked up a pair for about 90 bones, did I get hosed?

May 6, 2002 at 6:55 AM Post #2 of 17
Arrrgh....so you are the one who outbid me on those! *grunt* Anyway, they are supposed to sound extremely good because they are a hybrid of electrostatic and dynamic headphones. They get the highs and mids of electrostatic, while keeping the tight bass of dynamic headphones. Hope this helps
smily_headphones1.gif

May 6, 2002 at 10:50 AM Post #3 of 17
stallion11msu -

Yeah what Tim wrote is about all we really know about these in a nutshell. They are about 20 years old and long discontinued, but a reputed to sound great (I think joelongwood is an owner here). Never read anything really bad about them, almost all good.

Just curious, why did you bid almost $100 on a pair of headphones you did not know anything about, in the last 18 seconds of the auction?

Anyway, good luck with 'em.

May 6, 2002 at 11:16 AM Post #4 of 17
I live life on the edge jpelg...

I don't know, I read a couple of old threads on them and my curiousity just got the best of me. Head-fi is gonna be the death of me some day...
tongue.gif

May 6, 2002 at 3:08 PM Post #5 of 17
Quote:

Originally posted by stallion11msu
I've read some of the threads on the AKG K340, but I'm still wondering what current headphone they might measure up to? I just picked up a pair for about 90 bones, did I get hosed?

No, stallion, you definitely did NOT get hosed. I've seen them go for as high as $150.
I purchased a used pair a few years ago, before I discovered HeadWize. I enjoyed them, but was not yet afflicted with this disease.
When the disease began in the Spring of 2001, I purchased a pair of Grado SR-80s and said "WOW"! In comparison, the K340s sounded rather dull......smooth, with a huge soundstage, but dull, nonetheless. They began to be used less and less as I moved up the headphone ladder.
Then I read a post from Vertigo, stating that the AKG K340s had one of the most transparent midranges around. I gave them another listen, and after a short while, I really began to appreciate what these 'phones can do.
I have recently begun to dabble in the Stax electrostatic arena. There is something about what electrostatics do with guitar, cymbal, horn.....anything metal.......that appeals to me greatly. Their speed and snap is astounding, as is their ability to convey the ambience of the recording venue. The decay of sounds is quite audible, and actually gives you a sense of the size of the studio. The midrange is where these things live. I've tried to find a dynamic 'phone that can replicate this, and the closest I came was the Grado HP-1. Then I tried the K340s.......and there it was! The same speed, snap, and transparency was exhibited, and I realized this must be due to its hybrid nature, electrostatic mids and highs, and dynamic bass.
Another plus is that, while they are quite heavy, they are extremely comfortable with a self-adjusting headband.
Give these things a chance......their sound grows on you. Unfortunately, once you get hooked on that electrostatic midrange, most other 'phones will pale in comparison. Enjoy!
Ooops, almost forgot..... At 600 ohms impedance, these things need good, clean POWER. Although, I enjoyed them for quite some time out of the headphone jack of my Carver Receiver. The Sugden, of course, brings them to another level of performance altogether.
biggrin.gif

May 6, 2002 at 3:31 PM Post #6 of 17
Quote:

Originally posted by stallion11msu

Not if they work
biggrin.gif

I have had a pair of K340s since around 1982 and, to my ears, they sound better than anything else I have heard. I have a few new cans - HD 580 and Grado 325 - but I find I don't use them.

On the K340, cymbals are very realistic, everything is smooth, bass is extended and the soundstage is huge. They are comfortable too. The self adjusting elastic thingies can break after 20 years and the cord restraint inside the left earpiece tends to disintegrate, but these can be fixed fairly easily.

I have a pair of - even older- Quad ESL57 speakers (yes, I live in an audio museum) which I still prefer over newer speakers; these phones sound similar to the Quads.

joelongwood - my phones say they are 400 ohms, not 600.

Feb 1, 2003 at 5:31 PM Post #8 of 17
Oooo, I've always want to resurrect a dead thread.
very_evil_smiley.gif

I just received some vintage K340s in a trade with FCJ. The phones are in excellent shape and even came with the original box (that definitely show it's age). I had a pair of the baby Stax's in my portable rig for a time and absolutely fell in love with the clean midrange that they provided. But, the high end roll-off that I heard took away from the overall enjoyment of the system and I ended up selling them. But I was still searching for that midrange. The K340s come pretty damn close. Although there is still a touch of the high end missing, and the bass seems very "polite," I thoroughly enjoyed my initial listening session with these old phones. Wanting to hear acoustic guitar primarily, I put on one of my Crosby, Stills & Nash CDs. The vocal presentation with the background guitar was just beautiful. And the soundstage is to die for. I literally turned my head each time I heard the guitars coming from stage left and/or stage right. And this was with the processor on my Max turned on.

The build of these are how I remember headphones. Big, heavy, a bit clunky. But solid, and very comfortable considering their weight. The cups are not too secure on the headband, partially due the the design of the restraint mechanism, but mostly due to the weight of the headphone earpieces.

Anyway, my initial impressions of some very good sounding vintage headphones.

Feb 1, 2003 at 7:41 PM Post #12 of 17
JMT:

Glad to hear that you are enjoying your K340's. They really are one of the better sets of cans that AKG ever made. I love how open and real mine sound, especially with more critical music.

Feb 1, 2003 at 7:44 PM Post #13 of 17
AKG still produces the K1000 why not the K340?It’s a pity because is a very interesting design.
frown.gif

Feb 1, 2003 at 7:49 PM Post #14 of 17
Quote:

Originally posted by mecano
AKG still produces the K1000 why not the K340?It’s a pity because is a very interesting design.
frown.gif

Why not indeed?? My only guess is that it must be rather expensive to produce. It was $300+ back in the day when you could still buy a new car for $5,000.

Feb 1, 2003 at 7:56 PM Post #15 of 17
At 1990 in UK the K1000 was 500 pounds and K340 140 pounds.So K1000 Should be more expensive to make but its still under production
confused.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back