AKG K340 and perfect amplifying solution
Mar 11, 2014 at 2:47 PM Post #31 of 41

Very good description. It's so good for solo piano, really 3D-like.

Mine is all stock (bass light or neutral, not sure what versions there are).

The fit isn't quite right. I think I need to put some sort of pad under the headband to make it level to my ears. Has anyone had a similar problem?

yours leagues have factory or stock?, if so, I guess this should pretty worn, and that's why they do not fit well, not if you refer to that? 
Anyway I let a mod that I did (in case you need it later), it is easy and cheap. 
I leave the link, is a Spanish site, but if you have any doubt, will answer your questions possible taste.

http://www.auriculares-hifi.com/foro/index.php?topic=1533.0 
Greetings.

Mar 11, 2014 at 3:44 PM Post #32 of 41
   yours leagues have factory or stock?, if so, I guess this should pretty worn, and that's why they do not fit well, not if you refer to that? 
Anyway I let a mod that I did (in case you need it later), it is easy and cheap. 
I leave the link, is a Spanish site, but if you have any doubt, will answer your questions possible taste.

http://www.auriculares-hifi.com/foro/index.php?topic=1533.0 
Greetings.

Thanks. The elastics are actually in good shape. I believe the previous owner replaced them NOS K340 elastics.

The problem is that the area for the head is so big. I don't even stretch the elastics and the cups sink a little on my ears. (I think I'd also like it if the earpads were bigger.)

Mar 11, 2014 at 4:51 PM Post #33 of 41

Thanks. The elastics are actually in good shape. I believe the previous owner replaced them NOS K340 elastics.

The problem is that the area for the head is so big. I don't even stretch the elastics and the cups sink a little on my ears. (I think I'd also like it if the earpads were bigger.)

If the elastics are strong, the cups should not sink. After the mod including new elastics, the K340 fit better and tighter to my head.

Mar 11, 2014 at 5:35 PM Post #34 of 41
The fit isn't quite right. I think I need to put some sort of pad under the headband to make it level to my ears. Has anyone had a similar problem?

You can replace those with the headband ties girls use. It's about 1-2cm in diameter. I don't have pictures on how to do this but it's quite simple. From memory, unscrew the inner and outer cup sides (not the ones covered by the pads). The elastics will be exposed, allowing you to replace it.

Mar 11, 2014 at 5:39 PM Post #35 of 41
You can replace those with the headband ties girls use. It's about 1-2cm in diameter. I don't have pictures on how to do this but it's quite simple. From memory, unscrew the inner and outer cup sides (not the ones covered by the pads). The elastics will be exposed, allowing you to replace it.

The elastics aren't the problem: I think my head is the problem. 
confused.gif

Mar 11, 2014 at 5:45 PM Post #36 of 41
Zorander:

Thank you very much for the pictures and information, this is very useful, it's funny, I've noticed that these headphones require "warm", I mean, they start to sound a lot better after about 30-45 minutes of music playing, with these comes to complete the challenge of philiphs, reaching "silver ears" almost no problems, not so with the HD 650, which I think the add a little coloration to the music.

I wonder what amp you are using for hd 650?, The truth is that it's a little overwhelming the amount of audio products sold overthere, however they have an opinion of transistors and tubes? and what do you think is the best for the above models?

Again, thank you very much, greetings from Mexico.

I don't think these phones really 'warm up'. It's more likely your ears getting attuned to their sound.

I'm personally not a fan of tubes so my exposure is almost all transistors. Speaker amps will definitely have the power to drive these but be wary of the background hiss they tend to exhibit. This (and the space taken) are quite the reason I do not use my Cyrus integrated amp with my phones.

Nov 9, 2014 at 2:14 AM Post #38 of 41
Will Hopefully be able to provide some layman's feedback regarding the K340 & the Woo WA3+
(1st Gen w/ the Preamp) -it will the 1st Output Transformer-Less tube amp in my studio 
size]

Not sure what variation My 340s are, when they arrive I'll see if I can find out.
They look pretty beat up, but still have a candy tag on them......

-I put a post on another 340-related thread with some of what I have learned
so far about these truly unique headphones, it has an exploded view of the unit, and a link to the manual.

I won't Mod them past new (earpads and hair ties) until I get a grasp of their sound
I'll start rolling tubes in the WA3+ before I have the cans modded at Headphile.

I suspect that bypassing the dynamic transducer's circuitry will remove some of that "effect" from them,
so I am going to fully expose my ears to them before I send them to Larry.

I scored a Genelec 6080 and some vintage Tesla ECC88s,
I'll try the WA3+ with 5691s and a good 5998 if the 340s need more ooomhp.

I could not have made my amp/HP decision without this fantastic site,
-I'll report back in newbie-style fashion. 

Nov 9, 2014 at 3:13 AM Post #39 of 41
I'll start rolling tubes in the WA3+ before I have the cans modded at Headphile.

I suspect that bypassing the dynamic transducer's circuitry will remove some of that "effect" from them, so I am going to fully expose my ears to them before I send them to Larry.

I've been told his cables are stiff, so I'm concerned they'll bear noise.

Nov 11, 2014 at 2:40 AM Post #40 of 41
Headphile uses solid core wires which, while still flexible, should definitely not be subjected to kinks.The main run of the cable, sheathed in what I believe is multi-filament nylon, is free from microphonics. The ends of the cable (at the plugs), where they are terminated with bits of techflex, are where things can get noisy. I speak from experience as a Blacksilver cable owner.

If you are handy with soldering iron, I highly recommend trying the mods yourself (here's a nice guide). Besides the freedom to choose your own wires (and not paying exorbitant cable prices), the K340 is a very fun 'phone to mod. I know as I have modded 5-6 of them in the past.

Cheers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back