AKG K340 AMPLIFIER
May 5, 2009 at 10:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

ecodoppler

New Head-Fier
Hi
I have a AKG K340 headphone. I drive its with a heavly modded T-am (ALPS pot, Black gate capacitors, new case); obviously I've modified signal cable (now mono and not ever stereo). T-amp is suitable for listening of Internet Radio but not for music. The question: Could C-Moy BB of JDS lab be suitable amplifier for this high impedance headphone?
thank you
ecodoppler

Jul 7, 2009 at 12:01 PM Post #3 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by ecodoppler /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi
I have a AKG K340 headphone. I drive its with a heavly modded T-am (ALPS pot, Black gate capacitors, new case); obviously I've modified signal cable (now mono and not ever stereo). T-amp is suitable for listening of Internet Radio but not for music. The question: Could C-Moy BB of JDS lab be suitable amplifier for this high impedance headphone?
thank you
ecodoppler

Depends on the specs an output power/impedance of those amps. You might want to try the S·Amp or the Presonus HP4. Both are made for lower impedance cans, and the presonus one can even act as a pre-amp for speakers.

Jul 7, 2009 at 12:30 PM Post #4 of 7
I owned both stock and modded K340s and no portable amp will drive them even semi-well, and many desktop amps struggle. A good budget choice is the Darkvoice 336, which I believe can still be purchased for around $300 or less. I also liked the 340s with a Heed CanAmp, which is a bit pricier, but you might be able to find one used, saving some money. Though I've no experience in this area, I believe some folks awhile back got lucky with using the headphone out of some old integrated amps or receivers they picked up for $100 in thrift stores, but that's really hit or miss.

Jul 7, 2009 at 1:10 PM Post #5 of 7
The Darkvoice amps seem to have the best reputation for K340s I've seen - I still want to get one when I have the money to spare, I think my PPX3 just doesn't have enough power to drive them.

Jul 7, 2009 at 1:47 PM Post #6 of 7
re: k340

I started using mine with a Corda Prehead MkII and often found myself with the volume knob at 3:00 or more................more oomph needed......though I could have tried upping the gain on the Prehead.

So, got a Ming Da MC 84c07, and put some NOS tubes into it (orig. Mullard EL84, an Amperex 6HU6, and a pair of Raytheon 5751/winemill). This works wonderfully with k340 and also the best I heard with beyer dt990/600.

Less will definitely NOT work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back