AKG K340 amp
Oct 29, 2006 at 2:53 PM Post #2 of 15
Well, as you are aware - first and foremost is LOTS of POWER. So, now a few things learned/realized ..............since there are no sharp edges to the k340 sound needing rounding - so a softer or slightly tube-y presentation would not be a necessary factor. In fact, my eventual choice is the "sterner" presentation of the two amps that became my first two options - Corda Prehead, and P.S. Audio GCHA. A k340 owner in Scandinavia has both amps, but until our conversation, he had been not been really using them, since he was not thrilled with his less-bassy varient they were merely o.k. (IHO) with his Prehead......so, now he tried them with his P.S. Audio GCHA........and he was pleased
smily_headphones1.gif
.........on the otherhand, my k340 are the bassier varient, so I gambled they might be work as well or better with the Prehead - and that seems to be true (also, I like its' crossfeed and would be also running DarthBeyers, and dt990(05) from it)........I also learned something else with a subsequent purchase - the difference between std. and SE versions is evident (to me) from the day you plug them in. It is worth the money to get the more expensive version.

Oct 29, 2006 at 3:08 PM Post #3 of 15
I had the same question before and I ended up with Darkvoice Tha336i.
You can't go wrong with this amp. Just search for impression. There're a lot.
eggosmile.gif

Oct 29, 2006 at 7:11 PM Post #4 of 15
I would suggest either the Heed CanAmp or the Musical Fidelity X-Can V3. Either of these amps are readily available in Europe with the correct voltage and most importantly customer support. Good luck.

Oct 29, 2006 at 8:03 PM Post #8 of 15
I'd recommend a Dynahi
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 29, 2006 at 9:39 PM Post #10 of 15
As I have head more than a few amps with my K340's, I can say this:
MPX3 SLAM with upgrades (1700$) + K340 = O.K. nothing more.
DarkVoice 336I + K340 = a great match.

BTW, I have tested the LD2 today, and it has more than enought power to handle the K340. Its not a very good amp in terms of sound, but for uits price its amazing.

Nov 8, 2006 at 5:47 PM Post #12 of 15
The K340's need power? Really?
evil_smiley.gif

Lets just say that my new balanced tube amp [being delivered to me on Thursday now, it seems] puts out 100 volts peak to peak and enough current to satisfy any headphone in existance. This is after trying a Dynahi, Eddie Current HD-25, Lavry DA10, Sol Headphone Amp, and a Modded T-Amp in the comfort of my home and many others at meets. Out of those that I owned or had for extended auditions, the Dynahi [Gain of 10] was the only one that truely drove it properly... but it was not really to my taste. Most SinglePower amps seem to be able to drive them very well depending on tube compliment. The top end headroom amps are also a good choice. The McAlister Audio PL10 would be my personal recommendation as it was a very nice match with them and is quite reasonably priced. He can also tweak the amp to your tastes and has a PL12 model [not listed on his site] if you want to spend a bit more.

Nov 8, 2006 at 6:20 PM Post #13 of 15
People have made some great recommendations but it's all for naught until you tell us what your budget is. Currently you're looking at anywhere from ~$300 up to well north of $1000.

Nov 10, 2006 at 5:43 PM Post #15 of 15
Great! its a great combo. Tey tuberolling and modding your amp, it did a huge difrence for me
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back