AKG K27i very early (but final) impressions
May 20, 2006 at 7:24 AM Post #16 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by donunus
how does the 485 stack up to your 650? soundwise
icon10.gif

I can say that it stacks up to its price (89 euro) very well, even impressively so
smily_headphones1.gif

May 20, 2006 at 8:34 AM Post #19 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3lusiv3
Oops, sorry, the k27i are open.

No no, you were right above, they're closed.

May 20, 2006 at 12:44 PM Post #20 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3lusiv3
Since the k27i are closed, how do they compare with the PX200 which are also closed?

Well, I have the Px200, and am breaking in some K26p's, which are more or less the same as the 27i.

Like many have mentioned in the past, the PX200 have some bass issues unless you get the drivers positioned just so. I am able to get it OK with some fiddling around, but I wish the driver assembly fit on my ears like the 26p - they just sit on your ear perfectly.

The PX200 are more comfortable - the 26p seem to exert a little more force on my enlarged melon than necessary. In fact, its taking awhile to get used to it, but I'm sure it will be OK after some more hours of stretching.

One of the reasons I bought the 26p was because I wanted more bass (I'm no bass head by any means, but the PX200 on the train just weren't cutting it). It has bass in spades, and it can be too much at times. One thing I have discovered is that the 26p seem more sensitive to the source. I have run them out of 2 different laptops and a portable CD player, and it seems to affect the sound quality more on the 26p than the PX200 (or the KSC75, which I also own). It transmits more "noise" than the others when its plugged into said sources and I'm not playing a CD. I wonder if part of this is due to the cord, which seems thicker/heavier than the cords on the PX200 or KSC75.

I also think the 26p is less forgiving than the other 2 with crappy recordings. I played some CD's which I know have questionable recording quality, and while they are tolerable with the PX200 and slightly less so with the KSC75, they can be downright awful with the 26p. The flip side is that the good recordings sound really good, and I am able to pick out some more details with the 26p than with the other 2.

Build quality on the 26p and the PX200 seem equivalent, except again I think the cord on the 26p will be more durable over time. The headband on the 26p does tend to "shrink" everytime you take it off your head, but its not a big deal to me.

I have about 35 hours on the 26p so far, and I think they need some more break-in. The PX200 were awful when I first tried them, but after 50-60 hours they finally settled in. The KSC75 were good to go out of the box, which was nice.

May 20, 2006 at 3:36 PM Post #21 of 22
I've posted this question in three forums now, receiving no answers. Now that we're focused on the PX200, I'll ask it here:

Is the new, white PX200 an improved version?

The text on the white PX200's box says something like "strong bass." I'm wondering whether Sennheiser has made the same improvements to the PX200 as they recently made to the PX100.

May 20, 2006 at 4:49 PM Post #22 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul_in_Maryland
Is the new, white PX200 an improved version?

Very good question. It seems most reasonable to me that the PX100 now should feature the same "CCAW" voice coils employed by the newer PX100's, although it's what it is, just a guesstimate. If it's true, and knowing Sennheiser's way of doing things, I'm sure the sound has improved.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back