AKG K271 vs. Audio Technica ATH M50?
Feb 4, 2012 at 4:50 AM Post #2 of 10

Quote:
I need a pair of closed cans for tracking/music production. These are at a similar price point and both have good reviews. What say ye?

The AKG's tend to lack a little in bass. 
L3000.gif

Feb 4, 2012 at 5:17 AM Post #3 of 10
M50's have the ability to cure all illnesses. 
seriously though the M50 is recommended so much around here and its not even that amazing really.
willing to branch out your options a bit?
the K271 and M50 are two VERY different sounding cans.
mostly differing in bass, whereas K271 is bass light.... M50 is like being hit with a pillow on the ears :wink:
maybe go for Shure SRH840 (another loved phone around here) for studio use these are more neutral, a tad more accurate in all areas than the above two 'phones. that would be better suited for your use me thinks.

Feb 4, 2012 at 5:26 AM Post #4 of 10
I owned the 271MKII's a couple of years ago.
Not sure if they're the ones to which you're referring;
but I'll post this in case they are...

Very comfortable, too little bass, also missing a touch of sparkle at the very top.

IMO the M50's are the better sounding headphones, especially for production purposes.

Feb 4, 2012 at 7:56 AM Post #6 of 10
Both can work for studio, The K-271MKll are relatively mid oriented hps, and on the other hand the M-50 are more bassy hps. I'll recommend the GMP 8.35 hare is more info: http://www.head-fi.org/t/406658/the-german-maestro-gmp-8-35-d-monitor-in-the-studio-serious-about-audio-indeed

Feb 4, 2012 at 3:08 PM Post #7 of 10

Quote:
Both can work for studio, The K-271MKll are relatively mid oriented hps, and on the other hand the M-50 are more bassy hps. I'll recommend the GMP 8.35 hare is more info: http://www.head-fi.org/t/406658/the-german-maestro-gmp-8-35-d-monitor-in-the-studio-serious-about-audio-indeed

Yes, more bass and more at the very top than the AKG's.

I sold my AKG's more because of the top than because of the bottom,
even though at first listen the overly light bottom is more noticeable.

Feb 4, 2012 at 5:14 PM Post #8 of 10
i make el. music with ableton and so

got the 271mkII and there is always to much bass and little soundstage on my finished tracks.

i cant recommend them for making el. music

what they can do very well, voices, great voices

imo k271mkii with velour pads got good upper bass, great mids, good highs and a good soundstage for a closed can

the k550 was almost like the 271 without the great mids

had also the dt770pro, there was only bass, almost no mids and highs, no seperation

tried the m50s,  imo they are only for listening, almost no soundstage.
great bass, good mids&highs for listening but almost no seperation

tried the hd25-1, they where good for analysing and listen music, but the earcups are as small as the  k171 got and they hurt after a while

thats why im gonna try the ultrasone pro650, they got big earcups

Feb 4, 2012 at 6:41 PM Post #9 of 10

Quote:
i make el. music with ableton and so

got the 271mkII and there is always to much bass and little soundstage on my finished tracks.

i cant recommend them for making el. music

what they can do very well, voices, great voices

imo k271mkii with velour pads got good upper bass, great mids, good highs and a good soundstage for a closed can

the k550 was almost like the 271 without the great mids

had also the dt770pro, there was only bass, almost no mids and highs, no seperation

tried the m50s,  imo they are only for listening, almost no soundstage.
great bass, good mids&highs for listening but almost no seperation

tried the hd25-1, they where good for analysing and listen music, but the earcups are as small as the  k171 got and they hurt after a while

thats why im gonna try the ultrasone pro650, they got big earcups

1. With any hps out there you'll need to check your mix on the speaker monitors as a main reference to confirm your mix.
2. You need to train/learn your hps sound as a reference point to your music, or to the other music that you like.

May 8, 2013 at 6:03 PM Post #10 of 10
Quote:
M50's have the ability to cure all illnesses. 
seriously though the M50 is recommended so much around here and its not even that amazing really.
willing to branch out your options a bit?
the K271 and M50 are two VERY different sounding cans.
mostly differing in bass, whereas K271 is bass light.... M50 is like being hit with a pillow on the ears :wink:
maybe go for Shure SRH840 (another loved phone around here) for studio use these are more neutral, a tad more accurate in all areas than the above two 'phones. that would be better suited for your use me thinks.

ill second that its like being hit with some pillows compared to the AKG, its does feels like it at times but there are great headphones just getting used to them now. There was no comparison for me but I did find the AKG more comfortable, that was it ! If your thinking of using AKGs with a phone only at times also, then forget it they are hopeless for that the AT sound great though, they are a all round good buy. never tried the shures : (

Users who are viewing this thread

Back