akg k271 v k240?
Feb 5, 2008 at 10:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

barmar46

100+ Head-Fier
Akg 271s or 240s on basis of SQ first, comfort, then isolation. Considering use for portability w/iPod probably amped. (also consider 271 is about $200 is about $100. Don't mind spending the difference if the is the difference in overall quality.

Feb 5, 2008 at 10:09 PM Post #2 of 17
I can tell you that the k240 is very comfy, but it is a semi-open design, so you will not get any isolation. The k271 is closed, so you will get moderate isolation.

Feb 6, 2008 at 12:52 AM Post #5 of 17
Wow, you're really willing to wear big headphones for portable use. I wouldn't touch either of them on the road, but I guess if I had to choose I'd go K271S, which wins on SQ and isolation, and on comfort as well if you get the velour earpads. Is it twice as good to justify the price? No, but headphones rarely are from price bracket to price bracket. But really, if I wanted a full-size dynamic for portable use, I'd go for an old-series DT770-- much less bulky, easier to drive, and more durable than the K271. I was surprised when I saw a couple of people using them portably in Berlin: they really didn't look that big or silly. Come to think of it, a DT100 or 150 would also be pretty sweet as big portables. I change my vote: go for the classic Beyers, and let the public quake in fear!

Feb 6, 2008 at 12:54 AM Post #6 of 17
what style of music are the k240's made for? I would like a headphone as I've been getting into a lot more female singers and quite a bit of jazz, but what do they excel in?

PS: I like that accoustic sound:p.

Feb 6, 2008 at 1:39 AM Post #7 of 17
uh,oh...I never thought about the size or fashion issue (guess I may have to make my own fashion statement)...On the other hand, doing some further research I see that ASR had the 271s listed as one of two of the best closed phones for 2007 and Headroom likes them a lot for accoustic music and female vocals. The reason I've narrowed my choices down have to do w/this odd coupon I have on Amazon.com and the limited choices I have. So far it looks like the 271 may be the best even if I end up looking a bit of the "fool."

Feb 6, 2008 at 1:57 AM Post #8 of 17
lol what exactly is the coupon for? or what is it?

Feb 6, 2008 at 2:14 AM Post #9 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by barmar46 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
uh,oh...I never thought about the size or fashion issue (guess I may have to make my own fashion statement)...

There's definitely a group of people who like to wear huge headphones in public precisely as a style thing-- a certain kind of urban hipster, for instance. At least with any of these options, people who know headphones will realize you have a respectable pair. I find it hilarious when I see somebody ostentatiously wearing a giant headphone I know to be junk. But if you want something that still sounds good but is easier to stow when you don't want it on your head, there are other good options.

Feb 6, 2008 at 2:34 AM Post #11 of 17
Well which are the 271s...snazzy or foolish or...are there other clothing coordinates that are musts lest I be cited by the fashion police? Oh, and "Facelvega" what other cans would you suggest? The "coupon" is really a $120 credit on Amazon.com but it can only be used for an item (in this case, headphone) that they sell directly, ie, not from one of their second party marketers. I already own Senn HD 650s balanced. I have shure 530 iems for my ipod but they kinda' bug me. I don't like phones that are too bright. K701s killed me. And...I don't want to spend more than another $80 or so over the credit. I had considered the Denon 1000, and the Audio Technica AD-700 and EW9 clip on (nice wood) but it seemed like the AKG's were best reviewed. Ok, there you have it, I'm all ears so to speak, especially if I wear them 271s.

Feb 6, 2008 at 2:56 AM Post #12 of 17
I Actually really liked my pair of K240's. They were the 40th anniversary edition, 600 ohm. I got them from fitz, and I kept them for a good two weeks. I had dt770's at the time, and I liked them a lot, but I was itching to try the ultrasones. So I sold all of my extra headphones, and bought the Ultrasones used here on head-fi for $240. I listen to Metal/Rock, and they do not disappoint.

Feb 6, 2008 at 4:23 AM Post #13 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by barmar46 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well which are the 271s...snazzy or foolish or...are there other clothing coordinates that are musts lest I be cited by the fashion police? Oh, and "Facelvega" what other cans would you suggest? The "coupon" is really a $120 credit on Amazon.com but it can only be used for an item (in this case, headphone) that they sell directly, ie, not from one of their second party marketers. I already own Senn HD 650s balanced. I have shure 530 iems for my ipod but they kinda' bug me. I don't like phones that are too bright. K701s killed me. And...I don't want to spend more than another $80 or so over the credit. I had considered the Denon 1000, and the Audio Technica AD-700 and EW9 clip on (nice wood) but it seemed like the AKG's were best reviewed. Ok, there you have it, I'm all ears so to speak, especially if I wear them 271s.

It looks like the K271 is a second party item as well, or am I misreading the site? The D1000 might be a good choice for portable use, and would only be a few bucks over your credit. Try a quick search here to see if they might suit you.

Feb 6, 2008 at 4:58 AM Post #14 of 17
It's funny how sometimes it's just good to go on "gut level." The 271s have not been on Amazon when I've looked before. Right before I wrote this inquiry I saw them there and thought: "I better ask quick, they could disappear in an instant." In the middle of our conversation, I got nervous and decided to go ahead and buy 'em because I KNEW they were fading fast. With my credit I paid $75 out the door incl. shipping which will be in about a week. I just called Amazon to verify. I got there only pair. So...if you see this strange ol' man walking around with huge 271s on his ears and a big grin on his face...it's me. I thank you all for your contributions!

Feb 6, 2008 at 12:07 PM Post #15 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by jgonino /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I Actually really liked my pair of K240's. They were the 40th anniversary edition, 600 ohm. I got them from fitz, and I kept them for a good two weeks. I had dt770's at the time, and I liked them a lot, but I was itching to try the ultrasones. So I sold all of my extra headphones, and bought the Ultrasones used here on head-fi for $240. I listen to Metal/Rock, and they do not disappoint.

K240's do good on Metal and Rock too? How about compared to Grados, becasue I've always wanted to try a pair of AKG's to see if I liked the AKG or Grado sound sig. better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back