AKG K26P: Worth it?
Mar 13, 2008 at 3:40 PM Post #16 of 18
I too say no to the AKG K26P. A fellow student was looking to unload one a few years ago and I bought it to replace my Koss UR29. I did not end up making the 'upgrade' because the SQ was so bloated on the low end bass side, that I ended up returning to the UR29 and donating the K26P to a friend who preferred them.

Mar 14, 2008 at 4:38 AM Post #17 of 18
Thanks all for the replies and suggestions! I've been taking a look into Audio Technica's offerings, and they seem promising. A bit pricey, but you get what you pay for, right?

For now though, I think I'll stick with my PX200s.

Mar 16, 2008 at 1:02 AM Post #18 of 18
I'm a big fan of AKG in general. I also find headphones are the most personal of all audio products. You wear them and even the sound varies by the wearer. Now, that said, I would think twice about this model.

I own them and have find them overzealous in the midbass. They are very efficient and have an internal volume control that works well. They also do isolate well.

Another option: look around on Craigslist, eBay and in our own for sale section for some AKG 240M phones. Of course you'll need to drive them, but they're more comfortable and sound excellent. For $40 you should be able to find something pretty good. If you can't have an external amp, I really like my Koss earclips, which just about outperform any other inexpensive phones.
I prefer the Koss to the Sennheisers others have recommended. I've never warmed to the Sennheisers; they seem to be too light on the bass for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back