AKG K26P: Worth it?
Mar 10, 2008 at 3:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

Rico-San

New Head-Fier
So, I've been reading reviews online about the AKG K26P headphones, and most of them seem to be positive. I'm looking to pick up a new pair of portable headphones. What do you guys think about these, are they worth the money? Amazon has them for around $42 and change.

Compare them to the Sennheiser PX200s and the V-Moda Vibes that I currently have/use. If you're not a fan of the K26Ps, lemme hear your recommendations. Thanks!

Mar 10, 2008 at 3:37 PM Post #2 of 18
Get another USD 60 and buy ATH ES7, much better, imo.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rico-San /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So, I've been reading reviews online about the AKG K26P headphones, and most of them seem to be positive. I'm looking to pick up a new pair of portable headphones. What do you guys think about these, are they worth the money? Amazon has them for around $42 and change.

Compare them to the Sennheiser PX200s and the V-Moda Vibes that I currently have/use. If you're not a fan of the K26Ps, lemme hear your recommendations. Thanks!

Mar 10, 2008 at 4:25 PM Post #4 of 18
I agree with the others in this thread. I wasn't impressed with the sound, and the fit was very uncomfortable for me.

I'd recommend the AKG: K81-DJs instead. They cost only a little bit more, and you get a much better sound and fit. Plus the sound isolation is very nice.

Mar 10, 2008 at 4:27 PM Post #5 of 18
I've not read many positive reviews of the 26's. I think the recommendation 'round these parts will be, if you want to get into AKG phones and you need to start at the lower-end due to finances, start with the K81DJ. You'll read a lot of good things about them if you do a search.

Mar 10, 2008 at 11:43 PM Post #6 of 18
Quote:

K26P is complete rubbish IMHO. Boomy and undefined bass, hollow mids and non-existent highs.

x2 PX200 sounds far better!

Mar 11, 2008 at 6:42 AM Post #8 of 18
fwiw, I actually like the K26P- but only if I don't let the headphones get a good seal on my ears. For the money though, I think the K24P sounds better. I really *dislike* the PX100 and PX200 - I know people here rave about them, but I think they're a waste of money. But then again, I also really dislike the Koss PortaPros, so take that as you will.

Mar 11, 2008 at 2:28 PM Post #10 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Clutz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
fwiw, I actually like the K26P- but only if I don't let the headphones get a good seal on my ears.

Same here. In normal use, I don't hear the bloated, boomy bass so many people here complain about, but if I lightly press the phones up against my ears, I do. I conclude that some people have ear geometry more compatible with the K26P than others.

Mar 11, 2008 at 4:33 PM Post #11 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by rederanged /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Same here. In normal use, I don't hear the bloated, boomy bass so many people here complain about, but if I lightly press the phones up against my ears, I do. I conclude that some people have ear geometry more compatible with the K26P than others.

+3 I use k26p's at work, and I find them to be a pretty good headphone for what they are. I will say that I've found that they do need some burn in. Imagine that. I have a pair like I said for work with 100's if not 1000's of hours on them, My wife wanted some HP's to work out in, and started stealing my 26's So I got her a pair. The new pair sounded nothing like my well broken in pair. After a couple of days of burning them, they sounded closer to my pair. Take it FWIW

Mar 11, 2008 at 6:21 PM Post #12 of 18
The k26p is the worst headphones I have heard to date. I see it as my mission to keep people away from them
tongue.gif

Very muddy and overpwering bass, but it actually seems like some people like this teenager car-subwoofer bass.

Mar 12, 2008 at 12:16 AM Post #13 of 18
I bought the k26p because people recommended it for its bass, but I was shocked at how badly bloated the bass was and the mids and highs were virtually non-existent. I am thankful for the fact that k26p has taught me exactly what to watch out for in choosing headphones. I would suggest you save up a little more and go for the Grado SR-60 but it is open type. If you want closed type, then Senn PX200 might do it for you.

Mar 13, 2008 at 12:24 PM Post #14 of 18
The K26P that I use with my portable do what they are supposed to do. They are lightweight, comfortable and provide some isolation. They are certainly more comfortable that the SR-60. Sound wise, I find they heavy on the bass but it is not unpleasant with some types of music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back