AKG K240s vs 270 vs 280
Feb 26, 2007 at 5:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

daduy

100+ Head-Fier
Hi AKG user
biggrin.gif

I'm thinking of buying AKG K240s, but then i see the 280, and read some impression on 270, now i'm confused, which one should i bought?, i'm just a regular user using laptop as my main source, going to purchase some portable amps to drive them.

Any suggestion would be much appreciated,

thanks id advance
k1000smile.gif

Feb 26, 2007 at 7:25 AM Post #2 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by daduy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi AKG user
biggrin.gif

I'm thinking of buying AKG K240s, but then i see the 280, and read some impression on 270, now i'm confused, which one should i bought?, i'm just a regular user using laptop as my main source, going to purchase some portable amps to drive them.

Any suggestion would be much appreciated,

thanks id advance
k1000smile.gif

Of those three, I've only owned and heard the HD280. I'd probably go for the AKG K240 since I like the reviews I've read on it.

Feb 26, 2007 at 7:53 AM Post #5 of 17
I've always wanted to try the K270/280.... dual drivers, street price of ~$100. Ive seen them sell for as low as $75 on ebay.

Feb 26, 2007 at 10:08 AM Post #8 of 17
The K280's are a little unconventional sounding, not really like any other AKG's I've tried. They tend to be a little too bassy in my opinion. I can't elaborate further as this is from memory, from when I had someone else's pair for an extended time.

I do own a pair of balanced K280's which I haven't used yet. It's really oddly wired. It has a 4-pin XLR connector wired to each earcup, with 2 pins connected to the top driver's + and - and the other 2 pins connected to the bottom driver's + and -. Could be called "ultra balanced", I guess.

Overall, I like the K240M better than the K280. I haven't tried the K240S though. I used to have the K240DF and didn't care for it much. It's listenable, but dull compared to the 240M. I'd like to try the K240 Sextett, but can't because Fitz and nikongod keep hoarding pairs off of ebay
tongue.gif

Feb 26, 2007 at 11:25 AM Post #9 of 17
hmm...the K240M has 600ohm impedence if i'm not mistaken, i would like to try them but i'm afraid my onboard laptop doesnt have the power to drive them properly (or $50 portable amp), now the k240s has 60 0hm, and k270/280 has 75 ohm, which i hope can be driven by my laptop
biggrin.gif

Feb 26, 2007 at 11:32 AM Post #10 of 17
Quote:

hmm...the K240M has 600ohm impedence if i'm not mistaken, i would like to try them but i'm afraid my onboard laptop doesnt have the power to drive them properly (or $50 portable amp), now the k240s has 60 0hm, and k270/280 has 75 ohm, which i hope can be driven by my laptop
biggrin.gif

All of these headphones really require proper amplification to sound anywhere near their best. If you want to go unamped, better to consider other headphones. A portable amp might do, but you really ought to get around the weak laptop soundcard as well. Try a generic USB sound controller plus $50 amp for a workable cheap solution that should do for any of the AKG models you've listed.

Feb 26, 2007 at 12:20 PM Post #11 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by facelvega /img/forum/go_quote.gif
All of these headphones really require proper amplification to sound anywhere near their best. If you want to go unamped, better to consider other headphones. A portable amp might do, but you really ought to get around the weak laptop soundcard as well. Try a generic USB sound controller plus $50 amp for a workable cheap solution that should do for any of the AKG models you've listed.

thanks for your advice facelvega, i've read your review for old european headphones, you make me wanna bought the KOSS A250, but they're so hard to find.

i see a new qp55x for sale on ebay, i also see qp220, ever heard of that?

i don't have any budget for more than $50 amp, at first i was thinking of buying grado, but after reading a lot of comment here i decided not to buy them (for now) since i mainly listen to jazz/classic, i;m also interested in beyer. I currently own the philips shp 805 and 890, which is pretty good, but somehow missing something that i cannot exactly point, perhaps an amp could help that
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 26, 2007 at 5:18 PM Post #12 of 17
tyre;2749153 said:
The K280's are a little unconventional sounding, not really like any other AKG's I've tried. They tend to be a little too bassy in my opinion. I can't elaborate further as this is from memory, from when I had someone else's pair for an extended time.
QUOTE]

I posted a week ago about the Stereophile K1000 review from 1991 - the same review also mentioned the K280 Parabolic - which was completely panned - "there are much better headphones for less money; I can't recommend these."

Let me know if you're interested in seeing a scan of the review - it is pretty short.

Feb 27, 2007 at 1:33 AM Post #13 of 17
Quote:

thanks for your advice facelvega, i've read your review for old european headphones, you make me wanna bought the KOSS A250, but they're so hard to find.

i see a new qp55x for sale on ebay, i also see qp220, ever heard of that?

i don't have any budget for more than $50 amp, at first i was thinking of buying grado, but after reading a lot of comment here i decided not to buy them (for now) since i mainly listen to jazz/classic, i;m also interested in beyer. I currently own the philips shp 805 and 890, which is pretty good, but somehow missing something that i cannot exactly point, perhaps an amp could help that
smily_headphones1.gif

I've been pushing people to buy that ebay seller's clearance stock of QP55x for ages-- it's a great deal. Note that the QP55x, 220, and 240 are all just different drivers in the same housing. Supposedly the 240 is the successor model to the 55x. From the MB website, the main difference I can see between the 220 and 240 is that the 240 is much more sensitive. I don't know if any of these would represent a significant improvement over your Philips, but they'll perform right on a level with a K240.

If what you really want is an A250, though, the answer is easy: post a WTB thread on the for sale forum and offer $100 for a pair. I bet someone will sell, and you'll have a headphone on a level with a K601 or HD600 for half the price. It's amazing to me how little performance has to do with the prices people will pay (or take) for a pair of headphones.

Mar 4, 2007 at 6:29 AM Post #15 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by tyre /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Overall, I like the K240M better than the K280. I haven't tried the K240S though. I used to have the K240DF and didn't care for it much. It's listenable, but dull compared to the 240M. I'd like to try the K240 Sextett, but can't because Fitz and nikongod keep hoarding pairs off of ebay
tongue.gif

Who, me? I only have 2 and 3/4 pairs of the K240.
tongue.gif

I feel the opposite about the K240M and K240DF though. I find the K240M tends to be too dull and uninvolving compared to the K240DF, although it does make a very good reference point due to its fairly neutral sound. The K240DF is pretty bright at first, but becomes very fun and enjoyable after you've been listening to it a while.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back