AKG K240 Studio Review
Feb 27, 2015 at 10:57 PM Post #122 of 150
They fit lightly but have cheap pleather pads and the ear cups aren't that big.
I wouldn't say cheap pleather. Isn't it vinyl?

Feb 28, 2015 at 3:33 PM Post #124 of 150
All I know is that it's material that makes my ears hot and sweaty faster than any other earpads I've used lol my K550 and Q701 are nothing like that
I've heard the shure pads work.

Mar 1, 2015 at 4:07 AM Post #126 of 150
In a way I've gotten used to it so when I do pull out the 240 occasionally, it's not a big deal.

PS just got a K550 and just bought an Austrian K701 in anticipation of selling my Q701. So excited. Man AKG makes amazing stuff.
I have a Sextett LP now if you haven't seen me post about it btw. So freakin' good.

And nice! K550 and K701 made in Austria... Do you have any problems with the headband bumps?

Mar 8, 2015 at 3:02 PM Post #128 of 150
I did some minor eq'ing for mor bass impact on the deep end. I simply lowered the preamp and raised the last bass bar 90% as much as I lowered the preamp. Now I have acceptable bass without interfering with the rest of the Flat.

At the same time, the sound has really opened up at the same time. Now I most refrain from air-guitar and helicopter head banging when listening to After Forever. :).

On my 4g iPod touch I get really good bass and volume. Is this a fluke? Isn't it supposed to fail at this? I can get these ear-hurting loud, maybe AKG improved something?

Mar 8, 2015 at 3:11 PM Post #129 of 150
I did some minor eq'ing for mor bass impact on the deep end. I simply lowered the preamp and raised the last bass bar 90% as much as I lowered the preamp. Now I have acceptable bass without interfering with the rest of the Flat.

At the same time, the sound has really opened up at the same time. Now I most refrain from air-guitar and helicopter head banging when listening to After Forever. :).

On my 4g iPod touch I get really good bass and volume. Is this a fluke? Isn't it supposed to fail at this? I can get these ear-hurting loud, maybe AKG improved something?
I guess it's got a powerful amp, Apple puts decent quality stuff in their music producing products.

Mar 8, 2015 at 7:07 PM Post #130 of 150
So...if it sounds correct to me, then I don't 'need' to get an amp then?

Above 70% on most devices is too loud for me. I don't think my ears are bad, but how can I tell if bass is fast or slow? I like they way it is now, is it true audiophile concepts are partially placebo psychology?

Simple concepts like instrument separation and soundstage I get. With the k240s, both of those really pop out for me, I can clearly make out everything in their 'spots'. When I close my eyes, it is not hard to image the band is in my room. With Jeremy Soule, I close my eyes and I am in Tamriel.

I truly think that I found my audio bliss for $90 without feeling the need to find something better. When people said that these are double the value for the price, I don't think they were kidding! :)

Mar 9, 2015 at 9:37 AM Post #131 of 150
So...if it sounds correct to me, then I don't 'need' to get an amp then?

Above 70% on most devices is too loud for me. I don't think my ears are bad, but how can I tell if bass is fast or slow? I like they way it is now, is it true audiophile concepts are partially placebo psychology?

Simple concepts like instrument separation and soundstage I get. With the k240s, both of those really pop out for me, I can clearly make out everything in their 'spots'. When I close my eyes, it is not hard to image the band is in my room. With Jeremy Soule, I close my eyes and I am in Tamriel.

I truly think that I found my audio bliss for $90 without feeling the need to find something better. When people said that these are double the value for the price, I don't think they were kidding! :)
iPod's generally have pretty good amps already in them.

"Speed" is one of the harder aspects to really pick up on in headphones I find for people. It was only after trying quite a few for extended periods that I started to hear differences in transient times between headphones.

Dec 27, 2016 at 10:41 PM Post #135 of 150
a. The headband is unpadded, but I haven't had any comfort issues at all from it.
b. The auto adjusting aspect of it is wonderful because you don't have to fiddle with the adjusters each time you go to wear them.
c. They look like they were designed in the 70's... Which, they were.

I am no professional, but I wear the head set almost daily for 2-3 hours. Considering c., and say minimum 200 times a year, that translates into around 18,000 hours. I am pleased to say that for all of them, the head set was comfortable, and provided the sound I expected, and enjoyed.

Regarding:
a. The unpadded headband is a huge advantage when it's hot. Because there is no padding, there is also no "heat storage", and the top of the head also does not get hot in hot environs.
b. Notice that the auto adjusting cans do not rotate or fold out of the way. This removes the inconvenience of fiddling with rotating or folding cans when putting them around the ears.
c. Lastly, I have one of those early 70's ear phones, for about 30 years. It stll works. Same model, except the early model has a fixed cable; it also has a bit classier looking logo plates on the sides.

I just bought a replacement, but only because I was worried that the K-240 might become a discontinued line.

As a Pro, I have noticed that the newer model needs less volume setting. I suppose that's to be expected with newer parts.

If the new head set lasts as long as the old, it may be the last I need. Probably not what AKG wants to hear, but I am happy.

UPDATE: about 1 month after above post:
I am somewhat disappointed with the cable. It's slightly too stiff, and stays a bit curly. When I take it out of my bag, it is a hassle to straighten out. I am guessing consistency of plastic type material too high and rubber like material too low. Other than that, the sound is still very good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back