AKG K240 Studio accessories
Jan 26, 2013 at 12:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

liquidzoo

1000+ Head-Fier
I thought these came with 2 cables and 2 sets of pads, but I was wrong (must be one of the other variants). I found the coiled cable on the akg website, though I'm not sure if I'll get one. 2 questions:

Is the mini XLR connector on the cable and standard jack? I could make my own shorter cable if that were the case. These will be used primarily at work, and the 3m cable is a bit too long for my cubicle.

Does anyone know where I could get a set of the velour pads? I don't know that I'd use them all the time, but I'd at least like to try them out. If someone has some they don't want, PM me. Let me know what you want for them.

Jan 26, 2013 at 12:44 PM Post #2 of 8
XLR is a 3-pin connector, not a standard jack.

I know it's Germany, but it's one of the cheapest prices around if you don't get heavily taxed.
http://www.thomann.de/gb/akg_k240270271_velour_ohrpolster.htm
Also you can get cheap Chinese rip-offs on the fleabay for about half the price.

I don't know if you'd like them with velour - when I tried soft pads once on mine and all the bass disappeared, so I happily went back to pleather. 

Jan 26, 2013 at 6:59 PM Post #4 of 8
I guess what I meant is: is the mini xlr connection on the stock cord any different from the ones I can buy at Mouser, or any of those other sites. If not, how can I tell which pin corresponds to l/r/g? I'm a complete noon when it comes to using a multimeter for anything other than checking to see if a light fixtures has power, and I'm certain I'm using it wrong for that too.

Jan 26, 2013 at 8:33 PM Post #5 of 8
Also, if I were to get some Mogami or Canare (?) cable and stripped out the inner wires, would I need to braid it or is it twisted already?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the wire that's twisted prior to having the coating put on (like the generic speaker wire you can get from places like Radio Shack) doesn't benefit from braiding, or does it?

Jan 26, 2013 at 10:00 PM Post #6 of 8
I think what happened was you purchased the "studio" version which doesnt include the extra accessories as opposed to the "mkII" version which does include them (correct me if i'm wrong).

I think it is a standard mini xlr connector so you can just source it from Mouser/DigiKey/allied if you wish. You can verify which pin is which from simply from using the continuity test found most multimeters. you would just need to note which pin on the xlr side is connected to which part of the jack.

As for the wires, i cant really answer as i have no experience with either mogami or canare. I always just assumed braiding/twisting was just to keep things tidy and secure, but i really dont know if it benefits sound quality.

Jan 26, 2013 at 10:54 PM Post #7 of 8
Quote:
I think what happened was you purchased the "studio" version which doesnt include the extra accessories as opposed to the "mkII" version which does include them (correct me if i'm wrong).

I think it is a standard mini xlr connector so you can just source it from Mouser/DigiKey/allied if you wish. You can verify which pin is which from simply from using the continuity test found most multimeters. you would just need to note which pin on the xlr side is connected to which part of the jack.

As for the wires, i cant really answer as i have no experience with either mogami or canare. I always just assumed braiding/twisting was just to keep things tidy and secure, but i really dont know if it benefits sound quality.

You're right that I bought the Studio version, and that's fine.  I'm ok with making my own cable.  Thanks for the info on the connectors and the multimeter testing.  I read somewhere that braiding has an interference benefit for cables that don't have some sort of shielding, and apparently those that are twisted have that (I could very well be wrong).

Last question (until the next one):  Is this the right size for the XLR connector?  Not saying I'm going to buy it specifically, but I want to make sure that I'm looking at the right parts.

http://www.markertek.com/Connectors-Adapters/Audio-Connectors/XLR-Connectors/REAN-a-Brand-of-Neutrik-AG/RT3FC-B.xhtml

Jan 27, 2013 at 3:53 AM Post #8 of 8
Quote:
  I read somewhere that braiding has an interference benefit for cables that don't have some sort of shielding, and apparently those that are twisted have that (I could very well be wrong).

Yes, this method reduces 'cross-feed'. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back