AKG K240 impressions
May 13, 2013 at 6:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Hifi Man

100+ Head-Fier
The AKG K240 isn't necessarily my first step into higher quality headphones. I did order them as a badly needed upgrade to my Bose AE2 headphones. However I've owned a pair of Hifi Man HE-400 headphones a few months ago. I sent them back because I couldn't appreciate the quality and wanted to conserve money. 

Here's what I think of them when listening to Sunn O)))

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYM2mm68_QQ - Sunn O))) - Orthodox Caveman. 

So I guess it's fair to say this is my first real pair of headphones. Therefor I won't comment to deeply, because I don't have much to compare them to. Clearly they're different from my Bose headphones. They offer a fuller Bass sound. Going off my limited knowledge of sound, I can decipher some sounds louder on the K240s than my bose. Some sounds however are much clearer on the Bose. Since there are basically 3 types of frequencies I know of, bass, mids, and highs, I can say that the highs on the K240 are lacking a bit in detail. I can hear things much clearer in the Bose AE2, while the bass seems to muddy everything on the AKG. 

Edit: so since giving my impressions I realized the stupid EQ of bass was on all the way on my amp! So nevermind. 

I hope my description is articulate so everyone can understand what I mean. I don't feel very knowledgeable about sound by any means, I'm just winging it here. I'd like to know what others who have experienced these headphones think of them. I'd also be interested to know if there is a better headphone for me, these aren't completely satisfying (I do like them a lot and use them constantly though). I'm using a FiiO E11 amp btw.

May 13, 2013 at 9:36 PM Post #2 of 5
Ah! I hate when I'm listening all day wondering what was weird and realizing the EQ was on 2 all day lol

I do agree the area the k240 really lack in is treble, but Sunn O))) still sounds excellent on them to me, I'm just enveloped by the midrange
smily_headphones1.gif

May 16, 2013 at 7:48 PM Post #3 of 5
I do feel like the guitar sounds a bit distant on these. I was thinking about trying out a pair of grado 80i headphones once I have some extra cash. I'm still contemplating just getting high end headphones and not just having a bunch of mid fi ones that do what one really nice one can do.

Listening to Disembowelment - Transcend the Peripheral. 

May 16, 2013 at 7:51 PM Post #4 of 5
That'd be a good idea, IMO they contrast k240s rather nicely, more upfront and bright presentation with a little less soundstage

Users who are viewing this thread

Back